Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 2:15:39 PM EDT
I was chilling the first of two brews today, already had a few Lagunitas IPA's and for some reason, it was taking longer than usual to get to pitching temp.

Come to find out I forgot to unplug my kettle at 0 minutes when I dropped in my immersion chiller.
Whoops. I got it down to 100 degrees before I noticed that there were too many things plugged into the outlet.
It cooled down to 68 real fast once I unplugged the elements.

Ah well, if that's the worst thing that happens today, i'll be happy.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:26:03 PM EDT
[#1]
That'll learn ya!
Kind of like air conditioning your house with all the windows open (I've never done that.....).

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 7:41:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, done that too, more than once actually.

Everything else went ok Sunday. Pitched the yeast on my lager yesterday morning once the wort and yeast starter both got down to 52. Now the waiting begins.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I had something similar. I was doing a 10 gallon batch of stout and a 5 gallon batch that I partigyled off of the stout grain. I did the 5 gallons inside on the stove and the 10 outside on propane. They both got done around the same time so I put my coil chiller in the keggle and put the 5 gallon batch pot in a tub and had the outflow of the chiller going into the tub to chill both at the same time with the same water.

Well, my digital thermometer took a tumble during this time and would not go down below 170degrees. I thought maybe it was due to the 10 gallons and thick walls of the keggle. I let it set out there for close to an hour with constant water flow. Digital thermo didnt change. Grabed my old dial thermo and it was at 60 degrees.

Probably had been for quite a while. Good thing was that the tub method that I used for the 5 gallon batch worked quite well so I didnt have to use any additional water to chill it after the 10 gallons was cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top