Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2014 9:48:15 PM EDT
Brewing an extract kit from Northern Brewer. Comes with one ounce "pumpkin spice" to add to the boil. Saw a few reviews where people said they added some canned pumpkin to the boil. Others that went the extra mile to use fresh pumpkins. I don't have the time to do that this year. My question is has anyone used the canned pumpkin to add to the boil? If so, at what point in a 60 minute boil? How much? And how did it turn out?
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 6:34:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I've done canned and it turned out to be a disaster. The pumpkin, at least in my experience clogged everything and made a nasty mess, and it was difficult to separate from the beer. I'd rack from the primary to the secondary and there would still be a lot of pumpkin that would settle, so I'd rack to a third and ditto. This was using a boil kettle and racking the wort to a 6.5 gallon glass carboy as a primary. YMMV

Now I use butternut squash if I cannot get ahold of Pumpkin that comes from the veggie section of the supermarket. (which I usually can't when I brew up a batch) and I get much better results.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:25:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes, I've used canned pureed pumpkin in an extract brew.

Like the above poster said, it's a mess and you'll loose a a lot of beer in the process as you'll have a thick layer of junk on the bottom of your fermentor.

If you are set on using canned pumpkin, pour it in with your steeping grains and steep with it. It will impart some color and mouth feel, but the pumpkin pie taste and smell will come from the spices.

The one spice pack isn't enough for me. I add it at 5 min, add another tsp at flame out, and then add another tsp to the fermentor after soaking it in spiced rum.

This year I am going to try bottling with a shot or two of whipped cream vodka.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 9:35:48 AM EDT
[#3]
As other said, it's a mess and clogs up everything.  I first tried straining at first and quicky gave up on that and just poured it all in to the carboy.  Give it time to settle out and rack carefully off the top of the sediment.  

For this reason I found I really like my clear glass carboys instead of my opaque plastic conical.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 2:45:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Last year I actually used 2 large cans in mine. As others said you will loss some volume and may have to rack to tertiary. Just let it settle out well to minimize loss.
I did increase the hops a little (can't remember off the top of my head how much) to balance it out a bit.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 6:11:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Friend of mine and I did an experimental all grain pumpkin ale that included a can or two of pumpkin.  He's the brains behind the all grain and I was only there for the brewing, not kegging.  It turned out great.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 12:33:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Is there a reason not to use fresh chunks?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:25:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Convenience?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:29:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

I use cut whole pumpkin or other suitable squash. I roast it in the oven then add it to the mash.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Convenience?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Convenience?

Brewing is never about convenience.  It's the most inconvenient thing ever.  Almost.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I did one with canned pumpkin in the mash (all grain)
For extract you could try doing a mini mash
Just throw some crushed 2 row and your pumpkin into a paint strainer and steep it before your boil
try maybe 156* for 45 min? just guessing on that though
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:22:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I use cut whole pumpkin or other suitable squash. I roast it in the oven then add it to the mash.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Everything I read says add to the mash, not the boil.

Link Posted: 10/8/2014 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Doing a 2.5 gallon imperial porter right now. Roasted whole pie pumpkin in over for 60m at 350 F and then cut down the middle, scooped out the guts, and cubed the flesh and peeled off the skin.

Tossed the cubes of pumpkin in the mash. (BIAB)

ETA: I had a ton of pumpkin so I put another lb of cubes in a mesh bag and threw it in the boil. This should alleviate all the sludge issues I have had just tossing it in the boil last year.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 10:56:27 PM EDT
[#13]
I just made a one with 4lbs of canned puree pumpkin.  I roasted it in the oven for an hour first and throw it in for the full 60 minute boil.  Added cinnamon and all spice at flame out. It's sitting in the fermentor.  I had no clogs.

Smelled freaking incredible.  Can't wait to try it.

Link Posted: 10/26/2014 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#14]
We have some pumpkin chunks saved from the jack-o-latern this year that I am planning on using with the Northern Brewer Pumpkin Ale.

I've seen to use it both raw and cooked.  Arfcom's preferred method?  

I'll probably start my pumpkin ale next weekend.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 12:06:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
We have some pumpkin chunks saved from the jack-o-latern this year that I am planning on using with the Northern Brewer Pumpkin Ale.

View Quote

Cooked
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Cooked. I set the oven to 425 and roast them for 45 minutes or so. I then add them to the mash.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 7:23:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

If it were me I would not use jack o lantern type pumpkin...go get a sugar pumpkin--OR if those are hard to find, a butternut squash...we are talking $2 or so (trader joes had a bunch of types cheap the other day)

The jack o lantern pumpkins are not made to be eaten--they are stringy and flavorless.
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If it were me I would not use jack o lantern type pumpkin...go get a sugar pumpkin--OR if those are hard to find, a butternut squash...we are talking $2 or so (trader joes had a bunch of types cheap the other day)

The jack o lantern pumpkins are not made to be eaten--they are stringy and flavorless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.  I think my wife has half a butternut in the fridge right now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top