Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2014 5:37:04 PM EDT
So for my Birthday I received a small mead making kit 64 oz jug a packet of yeast, jar of honey, cork, sanitizer, and a trap like device that co2 bubbles through.

As per the directions I sanitized all the parts.  Honey in the jug, filtered water, half packet of yeast etc.  Corked with the trap and let it sit for 10 days as per directions in a dark cabinet.  

After 10 days pulled it siphoned it off making a MASSIVE mess and lost ~6oz. (tasted like crap at this point, got nearly a mouth full trying to siphon lol)

Re-sanitized and put it all back in, and re-corked to let it sit for 5 weeks further as per the directions.

No idea if this is going to be horrible or not as I have no idea what I'm doing lol.  

Once it's done in there I am guessing I should filter it?  I see no mention of that would expect it to be at least somewhat clear and it's very milky atm.

Thoughts?

PS: I drink a shit ton of mead when I can get it so figured I should start making it
Link Posted: 8/30/2014 10:03:48 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife and I made a batch of wine and mead.  We have a massive grape vine in the backyard, and she didn't want it to go to waste.  However, neither of us likes wine!    We do like some mead though.  Anyway, we bottled our mead a couple weeks ago.  Sadly, it tasted like paint thinner.  But, supposedly it needs a year or two to get good, so we'll find out then, I guess.  The wine was good, if freaking STRONG!  

Anyway, that lead me to getting a little 1 gallon beer kit, since I do like beer.  Just popped open my first beer today in fact.  Sadly, it was flat.    Maybe the next batch will be better!
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#2]
The JAOM recipe can turn out some very tasty stuff if you're willing to

let it age.  My first batch I took a taste and it was horrible so I just let

it sit for several months.  Was figuring it would have to be thrown out,

but after several months it really tasted good.  Nice recipe because

you can get everything you need at the grocery store.
Link Posted: 9/1/2014 10:43:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Mead is the easiest fermented drink I make.  It tastes really good initially, then goes through about 8 months of tasting like diesel, then suddenly becomes good again.  No idea why, but keep trying it and when you like the flavor, bottle it.  It is a slow fermenting sugar which can impart a wild variety of flavors.
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 11:24:04 PM EDT
[#4]
My experience has been to wait at least 6 months.  It will taste good eventually if you sanitized it right.

I made some mead from maple syrup and honey.  Aged it 3 years, and it is the best thing anyone I know has ever drank!
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:51:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Mead likes to take its time.  Give it 6 months or a year.  Good stuff!
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 4:57:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Also, next batch you make, use a little yeast nutrient.  Its cheap and bottle of it will last you a long time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top