Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2014 7:51:08 PM EDT
So over the last week or so, I've been thinking about trying out beer brewing. Then today, totally randomly, the next door neighbor (medical doctor or PhD student) was moving out and gave me some of his stuff.

So now I have a brewing bucket with a grommeted lid, some tubing, a five gallon stockpot, and this other thing.

My first question is what is this other homemade thing which has a valve and some tubing on it?

Also, what other stuff do I need?  What's a good resource to start reading at?

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#1]
LOL, i have no idea what that is. Did the guy give you some kind of weird bong?

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 10:50:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Pretty sure you just fill that thing with beer and drink it.  I think the writing on it is to tell you how awesome you will be if you drink the level it's on.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:11:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pretty sure you just fill that thing with beer and drink it.  I think the writing on it is to tell you how awesome you will be if you drink the level it's on.
View Quote

Yup, beer tower.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 9:08:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess I didnt play enough drinking games in college.....
We had a game. It was open a beer, consume, repeat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 7:10:49 PM EDT
[#5]
You could use that beer tower as a hopback
Link Posted: 8/23/2014 8:49:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You could use that beer tower as a hopback
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

So over the last week or so, I've been thinking about trying out beer brewing. Then today, totally randomly, the next door neighbor (medical doctor or PhD student) was moving out and gave me some of his stuff.

http://i62.tinypic.com/28sa8fd.jpg

So now I have a brewing bucket with a grommeted lid, some tubing, a five gallon stockpot, and this other thing.

My first question is what is this other homemade thing which has a valve and some tubing on it?

Also, what other stuff do I need?  What's a good resource to start reading at?

View Quote

Here is an excellent online starting point - http://www.howtobrew.com/intro.html
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Read up on sanitation, get you some flip-top bottles (24) and buy yourself an unhopped liquid extract kit. Do a full boil and chill the pot in the sink with ice, pitch yeast, attach bubbler-airlock, wait until it stops bubbling or slows to 3-4 bubbles per minute, mix up some dextrose and bottling yeast add to beer and bottle. WAit 7-14 days and drink up~!

Yes its is a fairly simplified method but you will make good beer and be hooked. Enjoy the journey.

The on-line Palmer book is excellent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top