Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2014 2:02:37 PM EDT
Cooked up a excellent all grain cream ale for the summer. Wife loves it, I love it everyone who tries it, loves it. I'll be making it again and again.

It used a Kolsch yeast that was very cloudy and the local brew shop recommended cold crashing when I was picking up ingredients. Fermented at my basement temp of 65º with a damp towel wrapped around it. Moved it to a secondary and It just so happened that cold crashing coincided with a vacation and some busy times for me, so it sat in the fridge at 38º for four weeks. Came out very clean and a nice deep amber color.

Now I know the difference between and ale and a lager, that not was this is..But the term lagering refers to cold storage of beer which is essentially what I did.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:53:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:25:56 PM EDT
[#2]
sure, thats "lagering" --But I'm not sure how one could make an amber "cream ale" unless the extract was super old and oxidized
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
sure, thats "lagering" --But I'm not sure how one could make an amber "cream ale" unless the extract was super old and oxidized
View Quote

All grain
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The word lager means to store.  What you really did was cold crash it.  Lagering is usually done in the secondary.

ETA:  I see you did it in the secondary.  So how much crud ended up on the bottom of the vessel?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:58:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The word lager means to store.  What you really did was cold crash it.  Lagering is usually done in the secondary.

ETA:  I see you did it in the secondary.  So how much crud ended up on the bottom of the vessel?
View Quote

It wasn't anything like the yeast and garbage from the primary. Maybe a 1/8" or less, kind of like at the bottom of a mug of hot chocolate but the color very light, almost off white.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top