Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2014 11:03:09 PM EDT
Started my first 5 gallon batch of mead last night. 5 quarts of local honey, 2 packets of yeast, and water. It is now bubbling happily away, and in 3 to 4 weeks, there will be much bottling and win!

Just wanted to share. I'm pretty excited
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 1:27:31 AM EDT
[#1]

Mead is awesome and so easy!  Have you looked at JAOM yet?
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:15:47 AM EDT
[#2]
NIce!
I love making and drinking mead. Did you go with just straight honey, no spices?
Did you add any yeast nutrients? If you didnt, dont be surprised when the Rhino Farts show up. My house smelled like sulphur for days the first time I made mead. The mead ended up just find though.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I would be careful bottling that mead after just 4 weeks of fermentation. Mead has LOTS of sugar to be digested by the yeast. Too little fermentation in the primary and secondary and you risk creating bottle bombs.

My mead was in the primary and secondary for 5 MONTHS. I then primed it with a bit more honey and bottled using champagne bottles for their added strength. That was 5 months ago - no explosions thus far.

And there is still time to hit your "must" with some yeast nutrient.

YMMV

Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:11:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Eh...I'm not even doing a secondary fermentation. Haven't had any explosions. Using flip-top type bottles. After 4 weeks, mead is slightly sweet, slightly effervescent, and fairly stout

I've thought about making it more complicated, but this works, and is delicious.

Now we will just see if a 5 gallon batch goes as smoothly as the previous one gallon runs.

Out of curiosity, if I let it go for 5 months, I'm guessing the mead will be less sweet, and have a higher alcohol content? How else is it affected by the additional time?
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NIce!
I love making and drinking mead. Did you go with just straight honey, no spices?
Did you add any yeast nutrients? If you didnt, dont be surprised when the Rhino Farts show up. My house smelled like sulphur for days the first time I made mead. The mead ended up just find though.
View Quote

Just honey, water, and yeast. Smelled like bread rising for the first night. No real smell after that (but I will admit that my sense smell sucks).
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I don't think so...headed to Google now
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 12:56:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drinking a glass right now.  Its so good!

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f80/joes-ancient-orange-mead-49106/
This is for a 1 gallon batch, but I make 5.  Everything scales but the cloves, they stay at 1 or 2.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 4:19:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I would be careful bottling that mead after just 4 weeks of fermentation. Mead has LOTS of sugar to be digested by the yeast. Too little fermentation in the primary and secondary and you risk creating bottle bombs.

View Quote
I would let it age 3-4 months...at least.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top