Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/11/2014 10:29:03 PM EDT
for bulk grains and hops?  Looking to buy larger quantities when we get going next spring and wondered what the brewers here do.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:37:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Brewers supply group. They have just about everything. Prices are a tad higher then some but you get service. They hide candy bars in malt pallets. You know how awesome it is for a brewer to be slugging it out with 15 50lb bags of malt and find a candy bar? It's like finding a candy bar!

Mid country malt supply. Malt and sugar. They have some of the better Belgian candy syrup.

Briess malt too, there malt is ok but they send out these chocolate malt balls that are to die for.

Cargil for malt. Nice people.

HopUnion for hops. 5 year contracts are the norm now a days. The spot market is....spotty at best.

Barth-haas for German hops. Again it's either 5 year contracts or strisselspalt hops.

Yeast? White labs is the industry standard. wyeast is good too. BSI has some more rare strains.

Cleaning chemicals it's ecolab, birko, delta-formost, or local.

Granger for parts and stuff.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brewers supply group. They have just about everything. Prices are a tad higher then some but you get service. They hide candy bars in malt pallets. You know how awesome it is for a brewer to be slugging it out with 15 50lb bags of malt and find a candy bar? It's like finding a candy bar!

Mid country malt supply. Malt and sugar. They have some of the better Belgian candy syrup.

Briess malt too, there malt is ok but they send out these chocolate malt balls that are to die for.

Cargil for malt. Nice people.

HopUnion for hops. 5 year contracts are the norm now a days. The spot market is....spotty at best.

Barth-haas for German hops. Again it's either 5 year contracts or strisselspalt hops.

Yeast? White labs is the industry standard. wyeast is good too. BSI has some more rare strains.

Cleaning chemicals it's ecolab, birko, delta-formost, or local.

Granger for parts and stuff.
View Quote

Thanks Danno.  Great info.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#3]
You starting out small might be nice cause it might be possible to order with another brewery in the area. I know you said you one of the only in the area but joining up to get those whole pallet discounts might be worth the gass.

In a past brewery I was in I used to share malt loads with a brewery in Springfield MO while I was in St. Louis.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top