Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/7/2014 7:16:38 PM EDT
Specifically, how cheap they are. I was planning on just buying some 3/8" or 1/2" tubing and making one myself, and the raw materials are about as much as they're charging. Do I just not know where to buy coils of copper tubing, or is the bulk discount really that much?
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 4:24:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I use 1/4 copper tubing that I had laying around from my ice maker install.  Sure, it's not as neatly coiled as the ones you buy, but that doesn't make it work better.  Just have to be careful you don't bend it too sharply and kink it.

Hard part is adapting it to fit your sink faucet.  For that I slipped a piece of 1/4" ID tube over one end of the copper.  For the faucet I got one of those screw on adapters made for re-routing water through a countertop water filter.  It has a lever to direct water either out the faucet as normal or through a 1/4" hose barb.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:41:31 AM EDT
[#2]
What you are not converting is the amount of tubing you are getting vs what you are buying prefabbed.

You are likely pricing out coils that are 50'-60' and they are selling you an I.C. that only uses 25'-30' of coil.

I made my own and used just about every inch of a 50' coil. I bought mine from a local HVAC supply house for like $50 for the coil. Look for a refrigeration supply store to get pricing on coils. I would assume Lowes/Home Depot would probably have a heftier markup on those coils.
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I had my plumber neighbor install a standard faucet spigot in the cold water line under my sink. No more messing with adapters on the faucet. A small improvement I recommend to everyone.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top