Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2014 1:51:43 PM EDT
I finally had a brew day from hell yesterday. After 4 years of brewing, I had never really had any major problems brewing and everything seemed to go off without a hitch.

Yesterday, that all changed!

I believe that all my good luck in years past had finally caught up to me and gave me the brew day from hell.

All was going well and my cousin and I had just finished up brewing an Irish Red and everything was going as smoothly as you could imagine. After we had finished up his beer, it was time to start in on my beer. I was doing a blackberry blonde and was halfway through the boil when **** started going downhill. I needed to get my wort chiller rinsed off real well so that I could put it in my boil kettle and start sanitizing it. The spigot is just outside the garage out the back door. In order to keep the dog from making a grand escape out through the garage though, we had put up a baby gate to keep her locked in the backyard. I grabbed the wort chiller and was stepping over the baby gate when my foot got caught and I tripped falling face first into my cousin's smoker and split my mouth wide open in the process. Nobody saw it happen, but my cousin heard me trip and came to check on me and found me spitting blood in his backyard. After many attempts at trying to slow the flow of blood, it was determined that I needed to go to the urgent care facility and have my lip checked out. 2.5 hours later, I finally got to leave with 5 shiny new stitches in my lip! At least the bleeding had stopped so that I could finally enjoy a beer!

Not a drop of alcohol was involved in any shape or form with my accident, although the doctor thought it was funny that I was attempting to MAKE beer when it all happened.

Now to add insult to injury, I finally got to pitch my yeast late last night after all the festivities of July 4th and woke up this morning to another mess. I know better than to start the ferment process without a blowoff tube, but decided last night that I could get away with it just this once. Boy was I wrong! I had beer everywhere this morning and the airlock left a frigging dent in the drywall on my ceiling! Geez... This is the most ridiculously jinxed beer I've ever made. Hopefully it turns out well!

Long story short, be careful when brewing and ALWAYS use a blowoff!
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 9:35:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I burned my hand pretty good on my wort chiller.  Just stuck it in the boil kettle and went to reposition it - holy hell!, I didn't expect it would heated up that fast.

Few stories can compete with the thread I saw over on a Homebrewtalk where some guy did some major damage to his arm by a broken glass carboy.

Seems every brew day has some sort of 'disaster'.  Not always injury causing.  So far my worst was having a tube pop off my racking cane while bottling.  Tragically lost a gallon or so of beer to the kitchen floor/cabinets/countertops before I got the leak stopped.
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 10:41:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I remember seeing that thread. I got 5 stitches in my lip. I can't even imagine what all the doctors had to do to patch that guy up!
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#3]
You need to name it something appropriate.

Satan's Blackberry blonde

or

busted lip Black & blue

or something.

You gotta own the evil to derail it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I think I'm gonna go with something simple. One of my coworkers was nice enough to call me "Zipper Lip" for a few days after my accident. I think he unintentionally named my beer for me and I've been telling everyone that's what I named it!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think I'm gonna go with something simple. One of my coworkers was nice enough to call me "Zipper Lip" for a few days after my accident. I think he unintentionally named my beer for me and I've been telling everyone that's what I named it!
View Quote

Hehehe, nice! I like it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top