Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/4/2014 3:52:05 PM EDT
I have a 15 gallon barrel that i will be emptying soon and want to fill it with a barleywine that i can have ready by christmas.  If you just have a 5 gal recipe i can just adjust it.  The higher the gravity the better and hoppier the better .
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 4:56:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a 15 gallon barrel that i will be emptying soon and want to fill it with a barleywine that i can have ready by christmas.  If you just have a 5 gal recipe i can just adjust it.  The higher the gravity the better and hoppier the better .
View Quote

nobody has done a barley wine before?
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I havent, no.
But there are a bunch of good looking recipes here.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f74/

Are you doing an American Barleywine, or English?

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I havent, no.
But there are a bunch of good looking recipes here.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f74/

Are you doing an American Barleywine, or English?

View Quote

either, it doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 7:28:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Just curious. Its on my long list of things to brew. Maybe once the Imperial Stout gives me a carboy back, I will put a Barleywine in it for a while.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:46:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just curious. Its on my long list of things to brew. Maybe once the Imperial Stout gives me a carboy back, I will put a Barleywine in it for a while.
View Quote

I need to brew 15 gallons to fill a bourbon barrel I have that is currently filled with a stout.
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Man, Thats going to be awesome! Hope you have a huge mashtun. Your probably looking at somewhere near 75# of grain (weight guessed by tripling the amount of grain I had in my RIS)
Link Posted: 7/16/2014 10:23:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Man, Thats going to be awesome! Hope you have a huge mashtun. Your probably looking at somewhere near 75# of grain (weight guessed by tripling the amount of grain I had in my RIS)
View Quote

I have 3 keggles of which 2 have thermometers.  Just need to figure out how to insulate them.  I was thinking water heater insulation warped around them.  But I might just do separate batches and blend them later on.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 10:27:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I brewed this a little over a month ago, and just moved it over to secondary about a week ago.  Tasted alcoholy (as I would expect) when I racked it over, but I definitely taste some great potential in it.  It should be awesome when I break into it this fall.
I got OG 1.105 / FG 1.020

ETA: just had some of the sample I took out when I racked it, and it tastes awesome!  Still some alcohol bite, but much smoother and the smoke is starting to hint that it's there.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f74/fireside-barleywine-141062/
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top