Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2014 11:04:01 AM EDT
How are you doing it? I did my first batch of beer friday. I did boil the whole 5 gallons of water which should have removed the chlorine
but then I had to quickly cool the whole 5 gallons. I was thinking of just boiling 3 gallons of water and then add 2 gallons of cool filtered water.
This should help in quickly cooling down with using my ice bath. I have the hosing for filters I use on my wine but are not for chlorine removal.
i am thinking of this filter. Worth it?  http://www.walmart.com/ip/OmniFilter-Carbon-Wrapped-Replacement-Cartridge/15691530
Or should I stick with just boiling the whole 5 gallons when doing a 5 gallon batch?
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Personally, I suggest using a wort chiller. One can be bought for $50-$75. They work much better than an ice bath.

If you want to stick with an ice bath, you could let 2 gallons of water sit in an open container overnight. This will allow any chlorine to dissipate; however, if your water uses cloramine instead, you need to filter with activated charcoal. Then put your 2 gallons of water in the fridge overnight prior to brewing.

You could also buy 2 gallons of water at the grocery store. Mine charges $0.79 per gallon, or if you refill containers it's like $0.39 per gallon.

Also, just a reminder, if you do partial boils, you'll have to adjust your hop schedules accordingly.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:01:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
How are you doing it? I did my first batch of beer friday. I did boil the whole 5 gallons of water which should have removed the chlorine
but then I had to quickly cool the whole 5 gallons. I was thinking of just boiling 3 gallons of water and then add 2 gallons of cool filtered water.
This should help in quickly cooling down with using my ice bath. I have the hosing for filters I use on my wine but are not for chlorine removal.
i am thinking of this filter. Worth it?  http://www.walmart.com/ip/OmniFilter-Carbon-Wrapped-Replacement-Cartridge/15691530
Or should I stick with just boiling the whole 5 gallons when doing a 5 gallon batch?
View Quote

If you have chloramine, you will need a crushed up campden tablet to get it out, if its just chlorine, carbon filter or letting it off-gas overnight is acceptable I believe.

Personally I just use a crushed campden tablet on every batch, they are really cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 6/23/2014 8:52:49 AM EDT
[#3]
"If you have chloramine, you will need a crushed up campden tablet to get it out, if its just chlorine, carbon filter or letting it off-gas overnight is acceptable I believe.

Personally I just use a crushed campden tablet on every batch, they are really cheap insurance"

We have chlorine here. I think I will get the carbon filter since I also do wine and I do not boil water for my wine making.
I need to make a stand for the filter and set some tubing for a water supply to do this outside and store in garage when finished.
Ordering the filter from walmart.
Link Posted: 6/24/2014 9:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]
chloromine will take a granulated activated carbon filter, NOT the standard wrap carbon filter.  The slower you go the more it will remove.

I use a whole house filter housing so I can use the bigger filters and basically put it on a very lite flow and fill up my water bottles. I used to use RO water but that was getting to be a PITA

You can really taste the difference.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#5]
I know a lot of brewers heat the water up to about 140f and let it off gas, you can also filter it with activated carbon
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top