Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/16/2014 3:44:48 PM EDT
Years ago I picked up a Mr. Beer kit from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Yeah, I know...I swear I'm not gay! I made exactly 1 batch with it and it did come out ok. This past week I was going to make another batch with the ingredient kit I bought but the booster was like a brick so I tossed it. I still have the LME that it came with though.

Anyway, was doing some researching and as it turns out there is a brew supply shop just a few minutes from the house. Went by there yesterday and picked up a "Brewers Best" kit. Think it was the deluxe kit that came with a glass carboy. I bought my first recipe kit, "Summer Ale" and brewed it up. I checked this morning and I have bubbles in the airlock so everything seems to be on track.

I've been doing some looking today trying to determine what my next batch will be. I'm thinking a stout or porter.
I did get a $20 gift card with the kit purchase and I can already tell I will be going back to get an auto-siphon and a screened funnel.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 3:52:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Years ago I picked up a Mr. Beer kit from Bed, Bath, and Beyond. Yeah, I know...I swear I'm not gay! I made exactly 1 batch with it and it did come out ok. This past week I was going to make another batch with the ingredient kit I bought but the booster was like a brick so I tossed it. I still have the LME that it came with though.

Anyway, was doing some researching and as it turns out there is a brew supply shop just a few minutes from the house. Went by there yesterday and picked up a "Brewers Best" kit. Think it was the deluxe kit that came with a glass carboy. I bought my first recipe kit, "Summer Ale" and brewed it up. I checked this morning and I have bubbles in the airlock so everything seems to be on track.

I've been doing some looking today trying to determine what my next batch will be. I'm thinking a stout or porter.
I did get a $20 gift card with the kit purchase and I can already tell I will be going back to get an auto-siphon and a screened funnel.
View Quote

Congrats, just be warned. This hobby is just as addictive and expensive as BRD
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 4:21:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Mr Beer is the gateway drug...or so I heard.

I sampled a bottle of my first homebrew last night even though it's only been bottled 2 days...I just couldn't wait.
It was, of course, slightly under carbed and a tad yeasty, but surprisingly drinkable.  Figured why not start tapping into it.  I got 40+ bottles of this batch and another 5 gallons of a new batch currently in the fermenter.
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 8:01:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't waste your money on the auto siphon, you'll understand when you try to use it. Just get tubing and use sterilized(starsan)water to get a prime.  And enjoy, you'll love your new toys!!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't waste your money on the auto siphon, you'll understand when you try to use it. Just get tubing and use sterilized(starsan)water to get a prime.  And enjoy, you'll love your new toys!!!
View Quote

Just an FYI, I think you would be in the minority on NOT liking the auto-siphon.  Everyone I know loves it in comparison to the other way.  

Different strokes for different folks but OP may want to try it to see for $10...
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just an FYI, I think you would be in the minority on NOT liking the auto-siphon.  Everyone I know loves it in comparison to the other way.  

Different strokes for different folks but OP may want to try it to see for $10...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Another one in favor of auto siphons, I've never had a problem with mine. Works great!
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, beware, it's another form of BRD. I started with a BB kit in Feb, just set up my first kegerator last week.

Link Posted: 6/19/2014 5:16:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yep, beware, it's another form of BRD. I started with a BB kit in Feb, just set up my first kegerator last week.

http://weather.xsintrk.net/AR15/beer1.jpg

http://weather.xsintrk.net/AR15/beer2.jpg
View Quote

Same here, just started kegging

But hey, brewing is cheaper than buying beer..........right?
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

no shit, a auto siphon is one of the must haves unless you transfer under pressure

Link Posted: 6/21/2014 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#10]
FNG, here. I bought the auto siphon the day BEFORE I got my first brew finished. I skipped bottles and went straight to kegs. Ordered my second keg before I got the first filled. I love the auto siphon! Got a good buddy I am going to move from Galveston to Beaumont in July, who is giving me at least one, if not two deep freezer he just doesn't have room for. I can smell a keezer and conditioner thread in the making.

Just my .02

Redman
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top