Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/15/2014 6:45:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Really? I love the stuff. What recipe did you use?

I used 5 gallons of Costco's Kirkland brand 100% apple juice, no preservatives, never concentrated. Added 3 lbs. of corn sugar, and a single pack of Red Star Montrachet yeast. Let that sit for nearly 6 months, then bottled. Served chilled and it's fantastic.
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I love apfelwein.  I've brewed up about 30 gallons of it and it goes quick.  Have you tried carbing it?
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I guess I don't know anyone who likes it. None of my beer drinking friends and none of my wine drinking friends.

I've still got the best part of 10 gallons of the stuff sitting here taking up space and don't know what to do with it.

It came out good, but it's not my thing either.
View Quote

Don't feel bad, I don't like it either--I quit trying to make inferior beverages and stick to the most perfect combination known as beer :)
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I guess I don't know anyone who likes it. None of my beer drinking friends and none of my wine drinking friends.

I've still got the best part of 10 gallons of the stuff sitting here taking up space and don't know what to do with it.

It came out good, but it's not my thing either.
View Quote

I made a 5 gallon batch last fall.  I didn't care for it.  Everyone I give it too thinks it great though so I was able to give it away to neighbors and co-workers. Just not my thing I guess.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 10:16:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I love apfelwein.  I've brewed up about 30 gallons of it and it goes quick. Have you tried carbing it?
View Quote

This was my thought as well. I like the stuff a lot, but it is also very good carbed up. Makes it basically a hard cider, which is probably easier to market to your friends that aren't in the know.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It's carbed in bottles. I imagine hard cider drinkers would like it, but I don't know any of those.
View Quote

Oh. Well, you have one last option. Save them to serve after you have already had two or three drinks and taste isn't so crucial.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Backsweeten! Straight Apfelwine is pretty dry. Although you can carb the hell out of it until it's like champagne - a lot of my friends really liked it that way. I've used wine conditioner and agave nectar with good success.

Also try using different base sugars. Brown sugar is OK but I used some pomegranate molasses on one batch and it turned out amazing.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

It's carbed in bottles. I imagine hard cider drinkers would like it, but I don't know any of those.
View Quote

Now wait a darn minute, i liked it.  Just can't handle more than a couple at once or I'll be out like a light

Just send the rest of it home with me, I'll return the bottles
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:51:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Backsweeten! Straight Apfelwine is pretty dry. Although you can carb the hell out of it until it's like champagne - a lot of my friends really liked it that way. I've used wine conditioner and agave nectar with good success.

Also try using different base sugars. Brown sugar is OK but I used some pomegranate molasses on one batch and it turned out amazing.
View Quote

Out of curiosity, how much agave nectar do you use? I have run off several batches using only brown sugar, and I have been satisfied with all of them....however, I have considered using both agave nectar and maple syrup in the future.

Anybody else use any "different" sugars for Apfelwein?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:10:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Out of curiosity, how much agave nectar do you use? I have run off several batches using only brown sugar, and I have been satisfied with all of them....however, I have considered using both agave nectar and maple syrup in the future.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For the backsweetening, it's all personal taste. Take a measured amount of the hooch, then use a dropper with a mL scale on it and add sweetener until you like it, then do some maths and scale it up to the whole batch.

I've kicked off with brown sugar, corn sugar, agave nectar, pomegranate molasses, and Belgian Candi Sugar.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:56:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I bottle condition, so I can't backsweeten. I carb my apfelwein to about 3.8 vol.

Only people who like dry beverages will like it. Also, I find that I have to age it a long time before all the residual yeasty flavors (not the fruity ones you might want, the bready ones you don't) dissipate. I also found that 'authentic' apfelwein in Frankfurt had a similar yeasty taste that I didn't care for (and was served nearly flat, which I didn't like either).
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:06:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I add a splash of Sprite Zero to mine.  Takes that little tartness out of it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:23:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I add a splash of Sprite Zero to mine.  Takes that little tartness out of it.
View Quote

Fresh apple cider (~ 2 oz) is really good for the same effect.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 1:38:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I bottle condition, so I can't backsweeten. I carb my apfelwein to about 3.8 vol.

Only people who like dry beverages will like it. Also, I find that I have to age it a long time before all the residual yeasty flavors (not the fruity ones you might want, the bready ones you don't) dissipate. I also found that 'authentic' apfelwein in Frankfurt had a similar yeasty taste that I didn't care for (and was served nearly flat, which I didn't like either).
View Quote

Huh?  Potassium Sorbate. Kills yeast. Backsweeten. Bottle.

Unless you are going for carbed.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, RIF, yes I like it highly carbonated.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:56:43 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

View Quote

You can backsweeten but you have to use a non fermentable sugar, I used stevia and it worked well. But, bottle carbing is why I haven't made a batch of anything in the last year. A co-worker gave me three kegs and I scored a free upright freezer this weekend, my quest to keg is picking up steam.

Another thing I did different on the last batch was to use an ale yeast instead of the Montrachet, it was sweeter due to fermentation stopping around 6-7%, it left more residual sugar and had a better apple flavor. My next batch will be done the same way, the one after that will be done with a wine yeast and bottled still and put in wine bottles.

I love the stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top