Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2014 11:24:31 PM EDT
I'm looking at a recipe for a bourbon imperial porter, and it's calling for almost 20 lbs of malt. fortunately the have a conversion for LME for the 2 row, and the munich, But what can I use for the brown, crystal, and chocolate malts? Here's what I'm going off of:

13 lb.- 2-Row Pale Malt
2.5 lb. - Munich Malt (15 L)
1.5 lb. - Brown Malt
1 lb. - Crystal Malt (120L)
1/2 lb. - Crystal Malt (40L)
1/2 lb. - Chocolate Malt

Extras :
Kentucky Bourbon (Jim Beam, Knob Creek, etc.)
Real, Whole Vanilla Beans (Extract just won't do)
Oak Chips or Cubes
Hop Schedule (37 IBU)

1 oz - Magnum Hops (60 min)
1/2 oz - E.K. Goldings (10 min)

Yeast

White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter
Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at about 68° Add Vanilla Beans after primary - rack 7 to 14 days
Add Bourbon at bottling (1 to 1.75 cups - don't overdo this!)
Infuse Bourbon beforehand with Oak Chips/Cubes if you want.

Extract Conversion
13 lbs 2 row = 8lbs light DME
2.5 munich = 2 lbs munich LME
Link Posted: 6/14/2014 6:33:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 12:11:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Probably nothing. Just use them as steeping grains like you would in any other extract with steeping grain recipe.

BTW, you might want to run the AG recipe through some brewing software that will convert it to an extract recipe so you can get the correct hops amounts. From what I remember about extract brews they usually require more hops than AG due to the gravity of the concentrated wort.
View Quote

The brown, crystal, and chocolate malts are commonly used as steeping grains in extract recipes. If you're trying to eliminate even the steeping grains, I think you're out of luck.

What Waldo said about the AG to extract recipe conversion and hops being different applies  more to partial boil extract recipes I think. If you're doing a full boil, I think the hops will be the same, but it can't hurt to double check.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 3:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 6:59:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yeah, he didn't specify, so I thought I'd throw that in there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What Waldo said about the AG to extract recipe conversion and hops being different applies  more to partial boil extract recipes I think. If you're doing a full boil, I think the hops will be the same, but it can't hurt to double check.

Yeah, he didn't specify, so I thought I'd throw that in there.

I usually steep the grains then boil for however long the recipe calls for. No idea what the difference is between a partial and full boil.
Link Posted: 6/15/2014 8:11:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 12:20:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

How much water are you starting with?  Many extract recipes start you @ around 2.5 gallons then have you top off to 5 gallons after the boil.  If you're doing that, then that is when you have to adjust your hop schedule. If you're doing 5+ gallons from the get go, then not so much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No idea what the difference is between a partial and full boil.

How much water are you starting with?  Many extract recipes start you @ around 2.5 gallons then have you top off to 5 gallons after the boil.  If you're doing that, then that is when you have to adjust your hop schedule. If you're doing 5+ gallons from the get go, then not so much.

I start with 5.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:33:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Is this the Denny Conn Bourbon Vanilla Porter?  Be on notice that there are a few varieties out there, the one i have done twice and have heard is the correct one is 1.25 pounds of chocolate malt...I also saw one with some simple sugar and one without...if I did it again, I would likely add the simple sugar (I want to say it was 1/2 lb or so) to dry it out just a touch more.  Both times I have made it, it peters out at 1.024-1.025--the first one was a 42 point beer in competition and the second was decent, but too sweet in the finish for my liking (made them too far apart I guess).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top