Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2014 5:30:52 PM EDT
I recently saw a segment about certain beers containing MSG and fish bladders, etc. Does anyone have a list of the beers containing some of these items? I know that New Castle Brown Ale and Miller lite are just 2 of the 30 plus beers I saw but I'm unable to locate the list.

Thanks..
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 5:51:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Thought you were asking about having a beer with your master sergeant. OOPS
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thought you were asking about having a beer with your master sergeant. OOPS
View Quote

I thought he was wanting a beer at a Knicks game.
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 12:50:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Fish bladders, known in brewing as isinglass. Is a refined form of the fish product that is used for its collagen content. Collagen naturally attracts yeast and other positive charged haze formers. It's a clarification agent. As in by its very nature it's added and is self removing. It's tantamount to complaining your steak has hoofs in it because at one point it was connected to the same cow.

After fermentation is done isinglass is added, it's given a few days to settle out and blown out the bottom.

It's stupid expensive and there are now more modern ways of clarification that are faster, cheaper, and more consistent.  The few that use it do it for tradition.

MSG? I mean sure I guess, I've been in the industry for 7 years and have never heard of it. Savory flavors Arn't usually a hit in most beer.

Besides, every credible msg study finds it has no harm and is naturally found in many foods. Every restaurant I've worked in that had a request to remove it made a big act about it yet we never cooked it different. My friend worked at a Chinese delivery place that used to write in big letters "no msg" on the ticket, yet you think the fob Chinese cooks did anything different? Fuck no they didn't.  My dad used to swear msg gave him bad headaches till I told him the BBQ place I worked at had lots in the season salt and the sauce.  Never got em after eating there.
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:53:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 1:36:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I can't think of any reason why someone would put MSG in beer.

Are you possibly thinking of the gluten free beers that are out there?
View Quote

No I am not...

http://foodbabe.com/2013/07/17/the-shocking-ingredients-in-beer/
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 8:22:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 12:29:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Some tart on a food blog finds out that you can* put these ingredients in beer and you get worried?

*no one does.

You gonna die when I tell you there are almost ZERO non gmo corn crops grown in Merica'.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top