Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2014 7:30:12 PM EDT
I admit it, I'm a newb at homebrewing and wine in general and I've got a question about wine that's probably going to garner a few chuckles.

Being a whiskey drinker I've never really drank wine and every wine I've ever drank I hated. Well unless you call Boone's wine and we go back to when I was young. I recently planted a small orchard, as well as muscadines and blackberries. I thought that hopefully having plenty of fruit in the future I should consider wine making. So I decided to try a Welches to wine recipe that I found online. I used Welches 100% Concord grape juice and to my utter shock, I love the stuff! It's got a kick but it's still sweet and tastes....well like strong juice. It's not dry and doesn't have a weird after taste like most every other wine I've drank.

That all being said, I've got a couple more batches brewing and I'm sure to a real wine drinker this stuff would be rot gut, but I love it. This has opened up my mind to the possibility that there might actually be some wines out there that I would like but I have no idea what to try and I don't want to start buying random bottles of wine to see.

Any suggestions on what kind of wine I should try that will be fairly sweet, not dry and taste something similar to Concord juice? I know it probably sounds ridiculous but I figure it's a good place to start.

Link Posted: 4/6/2014 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#1]
No idea, but I'll be interested in the responses.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 9:00:26 PM EDT
[#2]
You should try white zinfandel, chenin blanc, or a riesling varietal wine. They are not normally fermented dry and have some residual sugar left in them. That's the fruitiness and sweetness your tasting in the others that you mentioned you liked.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 11:46:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks! I might take a look next time I'm at the store.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Take a look at some local Texas wineries.  I bet they make some sweet wines.  

Almost all wineries in "non-traditional" locations make sweet wines in addition to the dry ones.  

By "non-traditional" I mean outside California, Washington, Oregon.  

Of course some of the most famous wines in the world (and most expensive) are sweet, like dessert wines such as Sauternes, ice wines, etc.  

But what you are looking for is a bit different.  Sweet reds are not commonplace in traditional wine regions, but are actually easy to find in areas with younger wine industries such as Texas.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:12:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Well since you are growing Muscadine grapes, you might as well try a Moscato. It is sweet like a Riesling so it should be right up your alley.

I started out with sweet wines when the wife and I would go to wineries but I transitioned to strong peppery reds pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Reisling.  It's what women like.  I'm a whiskey drinker myself but do a lot of red wine in the winter.  A lot of the stuff from south america is pretty good at 10 bucks a magnum bottle so I don't bother to brew my own.  That's all I got for ya.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, I appreciate the info. Clinteastwood mentioned a woman's drink and also drinking whiskey. I've been the same way my whole life. But when I decided to plant a bunch of muscadines I figured I should consider making wine. Plus I've got an over abundance of pears already and I had a guy swear to me I need to make some pear wine. I figured it would be worth a shot. I do a good bit of farming and gardening and I've always felt like anything you grow or make yourself always tastes better. It's physiological.

I liked the Welches wine, so I figured I might expand my horizons and see what was out there.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:06:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well since you are growing Muscadine grapes, you might as well try a Moscato. It is sweet like a Riesling so it should be right up your alley.

I started out with sweet wines when the wife and I would go to wineries but I transitioned to strong peppery reds pretty quickly.
View Quote

Moscato is not made from muscadines.

Moscato is blend of muscat grapes like orange muscat, black muscat, muscat canneli, Muscat Alexandria.

Muscadines are a completely different species of grape.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 11:10:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Mavrodafni

Sugary greek wine

http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=fNgG1nlDMNwykM&tbnid=pcvvWItecoGyTM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.b-21.com%2FKourtaki-Mavrodaphne%2Fproductinfo%2F-GKOUMAPAE%2F&ei=gPRNU9KsEoTJygHum4HABA&bvm=bv.64764171,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNHpGLesqF1MADTqB0hA4kbsbDQKiQ&ust=1397704179340887
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 10:12:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome thanks guys, I appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 6/20/2014 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I just bottled honey crisp. Its a gourmet apple. Very sweet and 18% abv
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 11:19:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you have a recipe? I enjoy honey crisp apples, but hadn't thought of making anything with them.
Link Posted: 6/22/2014 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Do you have a recipe? I enjoy honey crisp apples, but hadn't thought of making anything with them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 9:13:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes. I am out of town all week for work. I will post it this weekend when I get home.
Link Posted: 8/14/2014 11:06:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top