Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2014 10:20:01 PM EDT
Not really a home brewing question, but malt powders/flours are more easily found in brewing supply stores it seems.

In any case - I'm working on a sourdough black bread.  Trying for something real - i.e. no espresso / cocoa etc that little old ladies 100 years ago probably didn't really have.   One of the ingredients called for is red rye malt.  I realize I can get whole rye grains/berries, soak them, let them sprout, dry them and I have malted rye - but it's not a flour.  It turns out you can buy whole unground malted rye from amazon and a few other places - but malted rye powder does not seem to be available in the US that I can find.  I don't have a flour mill - and I'm not sure I want to fool with one for an occasional use.

Is anyone aware of a source of a malted rye powder?  

I have no idea if i'm looking for diastatic or non-diastatic powder - I'm a little confused about that.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 11:44:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Diastatic power refers to the enzymes ability to convert starches in the grain to sugars. The higher the diastatic power, the more enzymes, and the more starch to sugar conversion that will happen. The more roasted a grain is, the lower its diastatic power will be. That said, I have no idea what you'd need for bread.

Maybe this thread will help? That thread claims this company sells rye malt flour. Not sure if either of those are helpful, but hope they are.

Good luck tracking some down!
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 5:27:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!  It's a lead!

John

Link Posted: 3/27/2014 7:35:15 PM EDT
[#3]
If you go over 40% rye some people say you can get a somewhat slimy mouthfeel.  I have done over 50% and never noticed it myself....  Something to consider.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 11:54:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you go over 40% rye some people say you can get a somewhat slimy mouthfeel.  I have done over 50% and never noticed it myself....  Something to consider.
View Quote

Are you talking beer or bread? I can't tell
Link Posted: 4/2/2014 2:04:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Beer.  People at my HB club said it gets viscous and slimy, like gravy.  But, I've never experienced it in my many brews with rye.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top