Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2014 9:59:35 AM EDT
How important is temperature control for the secondary fermentation?

During the winter I keep the house at 68-70 degrees and use a small space heater to keep a spare bathroom at 75ish degrees for fermentation.  I extract brewed a batch of pumpkin ale on the 9th (1.054), put it in the secondary on the 16th (1.012) and plan to keep it there for about 2 weeks.  Since most of the fermentation is done, does it still need to be kept at a warmer temperature, or is it OK to let it drop a few degrees to 68-70?

I appreciate any input...my wife would like our guest bathroom back.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:48:46 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd keep it the same. It could slow down your results if you don't.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:51:45 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd think 68-70 would be just fine. There really shouldn't be much fermentation happening. What was your predicted FG? Does it match the SG you racked at? If so, I'd be fine with letting the temp go to 68-70 if it were me.

Heck, I ferment at 64ish and have fine results. It may take a while longer, but it's cheaper than running a space heater.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 12:04:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, the FG I expected has been reached...should be about 6.5% ABV.

So, what exactly is the point of a secondary if all the sugar has already been converted into alcohol?
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

During the winter I keep the house at 68-70 degrees and use a small space heater to keep a spare bathroom at 75ish degrees for fermentation.  I extract brewed a batch of pumpkin ale on the 9th (1.054), put it in the secondary on the 16th (1.012) and plan to keep it there for about 2 weeks.  Since most of the fermentation is done, does it still need to be kept at a warmer temperature, or is it OK to let it drop a few degrees to 68-70?

View Quote

Good Lord I hope that was a saison yeast, or it will have fusels out the yahoo.

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

So, what exactly is the point of a secondary if all the sugar has already been converted into alcohol?
View Quote

Fining and clarification.  It also ensures that fermentation is complete.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 11:29:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

No real point if you did everything right, (good healthy yeast pitch, sanitary, etc) --i'm assuming for like a week or so you are talking about here.

If you are going to age, lager, etc for a while, you want to get it off the yeast before the yeast goes bad and makes nasty flavors.  Also useful for dry hopping, fruit additions, vanilla bean soak, etc.

If I am making a "normal" beer, i will ferment for a week or 2 and rack to keg, carbonate and serve.

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 9:58:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Wish I had looked that up earlier.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nope, used this one...http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp001-california-ale-yeast?s=homebrew

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope, used this one...http://www.whitelabs.com/yeast/wlp001-california-ale-yeast?s=homebrew

Well, you never know just how everything is going to turn out, maybe it was alright...but don't be surprised if it tastes "hot."
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Well, you never know just how everything is going to turn out, maybe it was alright...but don't be surprised if it tastes "hot."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^^^^^  This.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 1:33:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, dude 75 is quite warm for most yeast strains. There are some (such as saisons, hefewiezens, beligian ales, etc) that you want to be that warm, but generally mid 60s is more ideal. You are gonna get alot of funky flavors at that temp.
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Temperature is extremely important. Do you have a spare fridge/freezer, if not have room for one? An old chest freezer is a great fermentation chamber, you can lager and heat with a temp controller and a heat pad/strip.
Link Posted: 3/23/2014 7:51:00 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Temperature is extremely important. Do you have a spare fridge/freezer, if not have room for one? An old chest freezer is a great fermentation chamber, you can lager and heat with a temp controller and a heat pad/strip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I do have an old fridge that I was planning on using if I ever got into lagering.  Definitely didn't think about warming during the colder months...makes sense.

I guess my original question was more geared towards secondary since the yeast was pretty much done.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I do have an old fridge that I was planning on using if I ever got into lagering.  Definitely didn't think about warming during the colder months...makes sense.

I guess my original question was more geared towards secondary since the yeast was pretty much done.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

To your original question, as long as the yeast is done, temp isn't going to matter much for an ale (as long as you are talking room temp-kinda ranges)

Colder drops the yeast out...what is the situation you are wondering about?  Type of beer, temps you are considering, etc.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 9:26:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

When you lager you have to have low 40's. There are some people that make a cheap fermentation box out out 2" pink board for heating in the winter.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:18:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

When you lager you have to have low 40's. There are some people that make a cheap fermentation box out out 2" pink board for heating in the winter.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was under the impression that 45F was as low as you'd want to go.  I've got a lager going right now and am keeping it at 50F.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 6:44:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was under the impression that 45F was as low as you'd want to go.  I've got a lager going right now and am keeping it at 50F.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, you are right, somewhere around 50 is the "perfect" lager fermentation temp, I think ATLDiver meant the actual "lagering" (cold storage) part of the process after fermentation...

Link Posted: 3/28/2014 11:01:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The primary temp for a lager beer should be somewhere in the neighborhood of 50-55F.  When it goes out of the primary, and into the secondary, what we call the lagering phase, The temp should be down around 31F.  I purposely left out the diacetyl rest.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 8:28:46 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

View Quote

get you to clean a second vessel

Supposedly it will make a beer more clear, I don't believe that. Also people will say you can get off flavors form dead yeast in the primary-don't believe that either

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top