Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2014 11:53:03 PM EDT
Thinking about getting into brewing my own beer. I'm a new n00b so any advice, suggestions, etc is much appreciated.

I'd start with attempting to brew standard beer, but I want to get into flavors that some may consider odd.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 1:35:06 AM EDT
[#1]
It may sound like a complicated process, but once you get your first brew done you'll wonder why you haven't been doing this since the day you turned 21. However, just like firearms, it can be an expensive hobby that just won't stop growing

If you have any questions as you're learning, feel free to peruse the current thread where or start a new one if you can't find what you're looking for.

I like Homebrew Talk forums for basics. They have a good knowledge base and you can learn a lot from them. I also enjoyed The Complete Joy of Homebrewing by Charlie Papazian. It's slightly dated, and the revised edition is the out later this year I believe, but it covers a lot of the basic and intermediate topics.

As for stores, I use Adventures in Homebrewing because they're local and have cheap local shipping. Northern Brewer, Austin Homebrew, and Midwest Supplies are good shops.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Being a broke E-3 I got by for years with just a 6 1/2 gallon brew bucket(with spout), an aluminium 8 gallon pot, $5 meat thermometer and a strainer plus some little plastic bits for racking and bottling. No funnel, wort chiller, secondary fermentor, hydrometer or worries .  I used plastic soda bottles(and still do) to bottle. I made all grain 5 gallon batches of damn near every beer you can think of.  Fancy equipment only makes it EASY to brew, but it's not necessary.  Many incredible big Belgians came from that simple setup. My setup today is still simplified, brewing should be easy to keep it fun.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 12:17:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I recommend trying an extract batch of something simple, but I'd stay away from anything that uses hopped malt extract and instead add your own hops in.
I highly recommend getting a bottling bucket, that's a plastic bucket just like your fermentor but with a spout. You can add your sugar directly to that bucket to mix it up instead of individual bottles. Attach a racking cane to the spout to make it easy.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 6:51:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Being a broke E-3 I got by for years with just a 6 1/2 gallon brew bucket(with spout), an aluminium 8 gallon pot, $5 meat thermometer and a strainer plus some little plastic bits for racking and bottling. No funnel, wort chiller, secondary fermentor, hydrometer or worries .  I used plastic soda bottles(and still do) to bottle. I made all grain 5 gallon batches of damn near every beer you can think of.  Fancy equipment only makes it EASY to brew, but it's not necessary.  Many incredible big Belgians came from that simple setup. My setup today is still simplified, brewing should be easy to keep it fun.
View Quote

Yup, it sure doesn't take much to get started. The only requirements are a big pot, a fermentor of some type (glass/plastic carboy, plastic bucket, or other style), and some patience. You could even start with partial boils, or smaller 1 gallon batches, if you already have a 2-4gallon pot for soup or something. If you have any questions about equipment, feel free to ask and we'll help you out.

Just remember, there's isn't one correct way to do anything in homebrewing. If it works for you, and the beer tastes good, keep doing it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 7:16:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Start with a simple extract 'kit' which should include ingredients for your first batch. Figure about $100 to start up, you can grow from there and make very good beer. Increae equiptment and and types of beer as your experiance and interests grow.
Link Posted: 3/17/2014 9:09:50 AM EDT
[#6]
How to homebrew
this is a freeshare textbook and started me on my obsession
The Joy of Homebrewing
You can shop on the price, I just grabbed it as a gift for a friend and made the mistake of opening it
this is the book  bought in print. also awesome but more advanced than the online.
Consider it a companion text once you finish the online text.
Karps Homebrew
I started with equipment here.
+1 on Homebrewtalk.com, a daily read for me.
Have fun and relax, the hardest part is the cleaning, and not overspending on stuff!
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 3:54:52 PM EDT
[#7]
As others have posted start with extract, but avoid kits. Brewing is easier than it sounds, if you can make tea you can brew.

Recommendations:

- Keep a log, record every recipe and track results, this will allow you to repeat what works and ID mistakes
- Start with ALE, Lager is tricky and small discrepancies are readily apparent, with ales ( dark ales particularly) the complexity of the profile lends more room for success and it is pretty exciting to watch an Imperial stout develop
- Create good habits, in regards to sanitation and organization. I was working in  a bakery when I started and discovered similarities in regards to having all your tools ready and the Rhythm of the process.
- Unless you need fancy pants flip tops NEVER buy bottles. I had loads of fun pillaging recycling bins while my first was bubbling away, you can not only score some nice bottles you can also learn which one of your neighbors has taste and who does not.
- This is a hard one and not very pleasant, but perform thorough and rigorous research….in the field. I went all the way to Brussels on beer holiday er I mean to perform research. Some people record their findings…some of us ….well…have to go back and repeat the experiment for verification
- Start small, take your time and enjoy the process. You will learn with every batch, I found Myself bottling one batch and boiling another
- for your first few batches create a distraction free environment, turn off GD, throw the wife kids and animals out of the house, lock the doors and focus
After that create Rituals- I like Jazz and Turkish coffee when I brew, harmonizing the trinity of hops, barley and yeast. I know one cat who has a special shirt he wears and another who has a favorite hat.

Also do not be surprised to find yourself growing your own hops and standing in the produce section one day, seeing not food, but fermentables.

Brewing is a grand hobby, it makes for cheap and unique Christmas gifts and good barter. My ex wife could take bottles of my brew to the farmers market and come back with whole meals. You are about to embark upon a glorious adventure, embrace your inner mad scientist and secret artist.

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:46:45 PM EDT
[#8]
buy a brew kit, make a malt extra kit for your first one to keep things simple and get the process down. most kits come with easy to follow directions, but do a minimal amount of research (homebrewtalk, YouTube) prior to brewing that first time to get the idea of the process.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top