Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2014 6:16:32 PM EDT
Recipe calls for adding a jalapeño to the mix for a little added kick. Should I toss it in during the boil, or throw it in the primary? My thinking is that the capsaicin will kill the yeast if i put it in the fermenter.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 8:45:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Never used peppers but I would think last 15mins of boil.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 9:46:14 PM EDT
[#2]
For some reason the company didnt put the brewing instructions in the box. Apparently it called for agave, which wasnt included (who ships incomplete kits?), or even mentioned on the box. Oh well. It wont taste like jalapenos i guess....

But that does give me and idea for a habanero porter....
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 12:42:09 AM EDT
[#3]
I say boil but you homebrewers get to put things in your fermenters that I'd never dream of.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 10:46:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I threw a whole ghost chili in the last 10 min of a boil of an IPA. No problems.

Also, I make mead too, and one of my standards is jalapeno. Whole jalapenos in the primary. The heat has no affect on yeast whatsoever.

Link Posted: 2/21/2014 8:32:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I threw a whole ghost chili in the last 10 min of a boil of an IPA. No problems.

Also, I make mead too, and one of my standards is jalapeno. Whole jalapenos in the primary. The heat has no affect on yeast whatsoever.

View Quote

Just how spicy was that? I don't like a 'bite' to my beer so I doubt I'd ever try hot peppers; I have used various types of fruit and the last 10-15 mins of boil is what you want to do there.
Link Posted: 2/24/2014 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Just how spicy was that? I don't like a 'bite' to my beer so I doubt I'd ever try hot peppers; I have used various types of fruit and the last 10-15 mins of boil is what you want to do there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 1 gallon recipe is 3lb honey, 1 whole jalapeno sliced. Lalvin EC-1118

It makes a dry, high ABV, yellowish but clear mead.  You would not want to just drink a glass. When I drink it, I do shots. It hits you with a good burn that fades fast, but it really is a heck of a fire. Most people think it is too spicy. People who like spicy foods like it as a shot.  It is actually my most requested/talked about recipe.

It is great to cook with too.

I think I used two jalapenos in this batch because I tested the jalapeno while cutting, and they were weak hot jalapenos. Using two made up for the weak. It kicks your ass.

My friend liked mine so much he did his own with Thai chilies. He used a different yeast and I think 3.5lb honey. It left it semi sweet, which was actually awesome! It was sweet and spicy.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top