Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2014 10:41:14 PM EDT
Im planning on brewing up a kolsch batch this week and I would like to use WLP029 liquid yeast. I'm new to home brewing and only have used solid yeast.

I really want to keep it simple and I was hoping that I could warm the yeast vial up and just pour it into wort.  Is it that easy?
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 11:01:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it is that easy.  You don't even have to warm it up, like you mentioned.

Make sure your wort is sufficiently cooled down before you pitch though.

Shake the yeast up pretty well first though, they will have settled to the bottom.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 12:00:56 AM EDT
[#2]
A few days before brewing day I would always boil some DME in an Erlenmeyer flask.

After it's cool, pitch your yeast packet in it, place a stopper with airlock on it, and let it go.

That will give your yeast time to grow and multiply so they can better ferment your real beer.

just my $.02

Link Posted: 2/17/2014 12:42:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A few days before brewing day I would always boil some DME in an Erlenmeyer flask.

After it's cool, pitch your yeast packet in it, place a stopper with airlock on it, and let it go.

That will give your yeast time to grow and multiply so they can better ferment your real beer.

just my $.02
View Quote

A yeast starter is recommended for liquid yeast, but definitely not required. I tend to make starters 18-24 hours before brewing day. I have made some really good batches without a starter though. The liquid yeast in the tubes will settle, so give the tube a good shake, sanitize the lid, open it up and dump it in.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 7:36:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

A yeast starter is recommended for liquid yeast, but definitely not required. I tend to make starters 18-24 hours before brewing day. I have made some really good batches without a starter though. The liquid yeast in the tubes will settle, so give the tube a good shake, sanitize the lid, open it up and dump it in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just my $.02

You're quite correct.

The starter gave me piece of mind that the fermentation would start quickly, and have less chance of being fermented by some rogue nasty that may have gotten in there.

Have fun with the brew.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are using White Labs yeast, just take it out of the fridge right before starting your brewing. Allow it to come to room temp and sanitize the lid area. When opening the lid, you may want to burp it a couple times before completely opening. Also do it over the fermenter or over a sanitized bowl. The first time I used White Labs, it was an older vial (3-4 months old, it was free) so I kept shaking it a few times while brewing. Went to open it and it spewed everywhere like a shaken can of beer. Lost half of my yeast into the kitchen sink. Wasn't too happy about that. Beer turned out okay.

Just a little forewarning for you!
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 8:46:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

just my $.02

View Quote

ALWAYS make a starter...one vial of WL does not have enough cells if you're impatient.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

ALWAYS make a starter...one vial of WL does not have enough cells if you're impatient.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

just my $.02

ALWAYS MAKE A STARTER!  Look up the pitch rates in commercial or micro brew/pubs.  They pitch at astronomical rates. Easy insurance with DME and a growler + 5 minutes of time.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 10:35:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm OK with waiting.  I'm more interested in the ease of pouring it in.  Is the only advantage of using a starter is the speed at which fermentation starts?
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm OK with waiting.  I'm more interested in the ease of pouring it in.  Is the only advantage of using a starter is the speed at which fermentation starts?
View Quote

NO. Inadequate yeast pitching rates can also atress the yeasts and alter the flavor.

Make a starter. It's very very easy.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 11:33:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
NO. Inadequate yeast pitching rates can also atress the yeasts and alter the flavor.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

^ This.

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 12:29:50 AM EDT
[#11]
OK.. is there a recommended  link to a method on starting a "starter"?
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 5:50:35 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 8:33:02 AM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMhFerNTwbQ

You dont have to spend all that money on a stir plate/flask.

A simple mason jar thats been cleaned can suffice. You just need to shake it up ever now and then. You can boil water in them as well in the microwave If you boil the water, then add the dme just after boil it will work and wont boil over.

A DIY stirplate can be made from a computer fan and rheostat and a old cell phone charger-that's what I use.

Oh save your yeast after you brew-use that next time-you will be amazed at what it will do.

Link Posted: 2/22/2014 12:04:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
^ This.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

^ This.  

Times two...there's a reason commercial brewers use insane amounts of yeast cells (to home brewers any way.) Starters are easy to make and economical as you can keep generations of yeast alive. Also you can culture commercial yeasts or blend together custom strains; yeast mgt can make a huge impact (good and bad) on your finished beer. Most commercial outfits invest a LOT of time and money into their in-house yeast management.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

just my $.02

View Quote
I use starters as described above (no airlock, just tinfoil) and I think they make a difference in the brew quality.  Also, I enjoy making them.  I have a 2L Erlenmeyer flask that works great.
That being said, I have direct pitched liquid yeast with great results.

ETA:  I cold crash my starter about 24 hours prior to brew day.  I like adding as little starter wort as possible...though it probably doesn't matter much.

Link Posted: 2/26/2014 10:01:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Inadequate yeast pitching rates give wild yeast or bacteria time to establish themselves.  One of the reasons professional brewers pitch large amounts of yeast is to get the yeast established as quickly as possible, and to blanket the wort with a CO2 barrier.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 12:21:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

ALWAYS MAKE A STARTER!  Look up the pitch rates in commercial or micro brew/pubs.  They pitch at astronomical rates. Easy insurance with DME and a growler + 5 minutes of time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

just my $.02

Ya, it's so easy so why not? There's yeast calculators like on brewersfriend.com and helps determine what you need.
Link Posted: 3/13/2014 5:44:56 PM EDT
[#18]
You guys are rich!  And stir plates aren't free.  My grocery store always has babyfood on the clearance shelf.

2 spoons Gerber baby cereal of your choice,I use whole wheat
1 spoon sugar
2 cups water
1 teaspoon lemon juice

boil for 15mins, cool to 65F and pour into sanitized plastic soda bottle(did I mention I'm cheap)

pitch and shake every time you remember for up to 48hrs.

Cost is less than $1
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 6:41:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You guys are rich!  And stir plates aren't free.  My grocery store always has babyfood on the clearance shelf.

2 spoons Gerber baby cereal of your choice,I use whole wheat
1 spoon sugar
2 cups water
1 teaspoon lemon juice

boil for 15mins, cool to 65F and pour into sanitized plastic soda bottle(did I mention I'm cheap)

pitch and shake every time you remember for up to 48hrs.

Cost is less than $1
View Quote

I'm lost...what is the point of this...lemon juice?  Sugar?  Baby Cereal?  None of that makes any sense...
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 2:50:47 PM EDT
[#20]
It's all cheaper than a DME+ stirplate.  Boiling sugar with some acid(lemon juice) breaks the sucrose into fructose and glucose so the yeast can eat it easier.  The baby food is added nutrients to keep the yeast healthy, shaking the soda bottle oxygenates it.  I have done this for the past 10+ years and never felt that a stirplate would so much of an improvement that it would be worth the cost.
Link Posted: 3/14/2014 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It's all cheaper than a DME+ stirplate.  Boiling sugar with some acid(lemon juice) breaks the sucrose into fructose and glucose so the yeast can eat it easier.  The baby food is added nutrients to keep the yeast healthy, shaking the soda bottle oxygenates it.  I have done this for the past 10+ years and never felt that a stirplate would so much of an improvement that it would be worth the cost.
View Quote

You are only supposed to use maltose to grow yeast, as the successive yeast cells will grow lazy with the simple sugars and will not perform like you want them to in your eventual (maltose) fermentation.  Now if your are making wine or something you might be fine, I don't know anything about repitching on those fermentations.

I bought 5 lbs of DME and 1 container of wyeast nutrient and they last me a LONG time.  (and I make a lot of starters, including lagers that need decanting and stepped.  If you want to be real cheap, save some runnings or just make a separate mash and freeze until you need it, then boil to sanitize.  

ETA: I don't use a stirplate, just a 1 gallon glass jug.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top