Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2014 9:50:45 AM EDT
couple of things i've pondered for a bit. first, does anyone 'carbonate' their beer when kegging with nitrogen and how? i'm talking putting the little bubbles in with nitro but dispensing with co2. i used the googles and so far have not come up with a definitive answer.

secondly, is it possible  or advisable to introduce a pure o2 source to your wort on the way from the boil kettle to the fermenter by way of directing o2 into the flow under slight pressure? seems like this would give you better control over your oxygenation with less contact with foreign objects and less chance of infection.

the reason i ask is i am retiring soon and have lots of this kind of stuff laying around and i'll need something to keep me busy.

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 2:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
inline oxygenation is how most breweries do it.  need flowmeters and such.   As to doing nitro beers, if you have the set up cant you just push it with nitro?  Or do you have/ want more than 1 beer on tap?Need the stout faucet for a true cascade.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
inline oxygenation is how most breweries do it.  need flowmeters and such.   As to doing nitro beers, if you have the set up cant you just push it with nitro?  Or do you have/ want more than 1 beer on tap?Need the stout faucet for a true cascade.
View Quote

Inline yes. with straight o2? Hell no. You can easily over oxygenate and oxidize the beer. Flow meters n stuff sure, heavily regulated for the breweries that do use straight o2. But good filtered and way cheaper compressed air does just as good with no chance of off flavors.

And no way to nitrogenate I keg with just head pressure. It's about as 1/10th as soluble as co2. We use a Venturi-jet setup to jam nitrogen in. Even then we literally force as much as possible And it's never enough.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Inline yes. with straight o2? Hell no. You can easily over oxygenate and oxidize the beer. Flow meters n stuff sure, heavily regulated for the breweries that do use straight o2. But good filtered and way cheaper compressed air does just as good with no chance of off flavors.

And no way to nitrogenate I keg with just head pressure. It's about as 1/10th as soluble as co2. We use a Venture-jet setup to jam nitrogen in. Even then we literally force as much as possible And it's never enough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

And no way to nitrogenate I keg with just head pressure. It's about as 1/10th as soluble as co2. We use a Venture-jet setup to jam nitrogen in. Even then we literally force as much as possible And it's never enough.
this man knows

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 7:55:09 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

And no way to nitrogenate I keg with just head pressure. It's about as 1/10th as soluble as co2. We use a Venturi-jet setup to jam nitrogen in. Even then we literally force as much as possible And it's never enough.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

i would think there'd be more of a chance with compress air than with pure 02. flowmeters are not a problem, we use them on all our welders. as far as nitrogen saturation, i keg so couldn't i put them under so many lbs. of pressure and condition them that way? i'll dispense with co2.

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
i would think there'd be more of a chance with compress air than with pure 02. flowmeters are not a problem, we use them on all our welders. as far as nitrogen saturation, i keg so couldn't i put them under so many lbs. of pressure and condition them that way? i'll dispense with co2.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have o2 tanks and flowmeters?  Just get a ss sintered stone and give it a 1-2 l/min (or whatever those units are on o2 flowmeters) of flow for 1-2 min in the carboy after you have transferred.  Way easier to sanitize too.  Don't worry about inline.  I would think you would over oxygenate doing it like that on a homebrew setup as well.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 12:17:02 AM EDT
[#6]

You have o2 tanks and flowmeters?  Just get a ss sintered stone and give it a 1-2 l/min (or whatever those units are on o2 flowmeters) of flow for 1-2 min in the carboy after you have transferred.  Way easier to sanitize too.  Don't worry about inline.  I would think you would over oxygenate doing it like that on a homebrew setup as well.

View Quote
thank you

Link Posted: 2/17/2014 8:45:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
thank you  
View All Quotes
Quoted:

thank you  

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/771

http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/589

Give those 2 a listen.  I tried the 30 min/filtered air way first, and wort bubbled over and made a mess in 10 mins, it sucked.  I got the oxygen tank and 1-2 minute and my fermentations have been rocking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top