Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2014 9:23:52 AM EDT
What type of fermenter do you use?

I have always used glass carboys. I used a plastic carboy one time. It worked ok. Just something about plastic just weirds me out. Which is odd, cause I'm a glock guy.

I think they all work just fine. It is more of a preference thing that a "better" thing.

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
I use buckets and carboys.  In a year when we open the winery/brewpub we will be using poly tanks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I use buckets, but I am going back to glass because I am OCD about cleanliness and don't think I can get bucket lids clean enough.
The big mouth bubbler is exactly what I need.

Link Posted: 2/16/2014 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#3]
was plastic carboys now sanke kegs for 5-15 gallons at a time
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 8:25:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use buckets, but I am going back to glass because I am OCD about cleanliness and don't think I can get bucket lids clean enough.
The big mouth bubbler is exactly what I need.

View Quote

Yeah I like my big mouth bubbler. I did not put it in the poll since it is a glass carboy with a big mouth pretty much.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 7:53:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Blichman 7 gallon stainless conical. It freaking rocks!
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#6]
You left off corney kegs. I ferment under pressure for natural carbonation.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 5:18:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
do you ferment the entire time under pressure, what pressure?

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 9:24:26 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I leave my regulator set for 5 PSI for the first 3 days then crank it up to 15 PSI for the remainder of the fermentation. That's using S-04, US-05 or Nottingham yeasts. They tend to be pretty vigorous the first couple days. On day 4-?? the pressure rise is pretty slow, it generally takes another 3 days or more to hit 15 PSI. I leave it ferment out several weeks then cold crash it and transfer it under pressure to a secondary corney keg. I've got a cider going right now but I won't set it higher than 5 PSI on it. The regulator or spunding valve as it's called acts as an airlock.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Hmmm.....y'all call me a dick when I get all pro brewer on my numbers.....I'll just say cylinder-conical stainless. They range in size from 70bbl to 600bbl.

Quoted:
  I leave my regulator set for 5 PSI for the first 3 days then crank it up to 15 PSI for the remainder of the fermentation. That's using S-04, US-05 or Nottingham yeasts. They tend to be pretty vigorous the first couple days. On day 4-?? the pressure rise is pretty slow, it generally takes another 3 days or more to hit 15 PSI. I leave it ferment out several weeks then cold crash it and transfer it under pressure to a secondary corney keg. I've got a cider going right now but I won't set it higher than 5 PSI on it. The regulator or spunding valve as it's called acts as an airlock.  
View Quote

Every bone in my brewer body is crying for your yeast.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 12:33:13 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

View Quote

Germans have been doing this for years, commercially. From my unscientific point of view, the yeast can't tell what pressure they're at any more than a diver can tell depth without instrumentation.  How tall are your fermentation vessels? You can calculate the pressure at the bottom to which your yeast are subject based on the liquid depth. I've never read mention by brewers taking into account altitude differences in relation to yeast either. As long as the yeast aren't subject to rapid decompression causing them to rupture, I don't expect a problem. And the general rule is not to crank up the pressure until you're at .004~.006 gp's of FG so most of the yeast are going dormant by then.  

Just my amateur brewer experience/opinion. No doubt you've forgotten more than I can ever hope to know about brewing and I especially respect your professional contributions to this forum.

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I use both plastic and glass carboys.

I am going to get/make one of those plastic conicals however.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I use both plastic and glass carboys.

I am going to get/make one of those plastic conicals however.
View Quote
me as well

Link Posted: 2/18/2014 8:44:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Ferminator FTW but I still use buckets.
Link Posted: 2/19/2014 12:34:53 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Germans have been doing this for years, commercially. From my unscientific point of view, the yeast can't tell what pressure they're at any more than a diver can tell depth without instrumentation.  How tall are your fermentation vessels? You can calculate the pressure at the bottom to which your yeast are subject based on the liquid depth. I've never read mention by brewers taking into account altitude differences in relation to yeast either. As long as the yeast aren't subject to rapid decompression causing them to rupture, I don't expect a problem. And the general rule is not to crank up the pressure until you're at .004~.006 gp's of FG so most of the yeast are going dormant by then.  

Just my amateur brewer experience/opinion. No doubt you've forgotten more than I can ever hope to know about brewing and I especially respect your professional contributions to this forum.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your beers finish out and your happy with the results then rock on.

We see a difference in our big tanks vs our small tanks as far as yeast performance. They are pitched with this in mind. We have some tanks that perform worse as a rule as they have check valves that keep a constant head on the beer. (Common vent line, can't do without). I've been to a industry convention where yeast performance based on altitudes was discussed. You are affecting yeast performance. It might not be as drastic as you'd think, but it does. Open fermenters work the opposite.

Our house strain reacts to pressure more so then temp. As where most brewers crash tanks to drop yeast we bung.

Edit: actually now that I think about it, your fermentation in a small batch as you have while under pressure probably mimics our big tall fermenters rather well.  I should also say I'm not trying to poop on your brewing technique. Fermenting under pressure will affect yeast, BUT if the flavors are what your after then the affect is totally positive. There are no right and wrong ways in brewing, as long as your getting the result you want then your system is awesomeness.
Link Posted: 2/20/2014 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#15]
We haven't used anything but glass carboys.
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 2:32:39 AM EDT
[#16]
I voted plastic carboy.  I guess a Mr. Beer kit counts as a plastic carboy?
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 9:58:10 AM EDT
[#17]
I want to start using a carboy for a primary, but all I have are 5 gallon glass. I might get a 6 gallon plastic carboy and see how that goes. I really want to monitor the fermentation process and the only way to do that is with something that is clear.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#18]
All I know is my vote made plastic buckets and glass carboys even again, so I must be right.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 5:29:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

this

its so much simpler to do

also it tastes great
Link Posted: 4/1/2014 5:47:31 PM EDT
[#21]
when you ferment under pressure, do you use a spunding valve? i have several stainless 12 gallon tanks with 2" sanitary fittings and i would like to ferment in them. they were originally liquid O2 tanks. i can weld in other fittings and probably will.
Link Posted: 4/3/2014 10:46:55 PM EDT
[#22]
yes but you could also use a bubbler for the first two days then lock it down and let the psi increase till it plateaus.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:00:37 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm currently on an all glass carboy setup, but I'm going to start using plastic soon.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 1:01:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I want to start using a carboy for a primary, but all I have are 5 gallon glass. I might get a 6 gallon plastic carboy and see how that goes. I really want to monitor the fermentation process and the only way to do that is with something that is clear.
View Quote
Use a blow off tube, even for the 6 gallon.

Link Posted: 5/21/2014 7:26:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Hmmm.....y'all call me a dick when I get all pro brewer on my numbers.....I'll just say cylinder-conical stainless. They range in size from 70bbl to 600bbl.
View Quote

Those are some big fermenters. No chance you're in WA and want to arrange an arfcom brewery tour is there?
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#26]
I just picked up a couple of the plastic big mouth bubblers.

Im really liking them, the punted bottom holds a siphon perfectly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top