Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2014 2:58:55 PM EDT
I like Smithwicks beer, How can I get into making beer like that. I already make wine but I have read that beer is more complex.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 4:02:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I like Smithwicks beer, How can I get into making beer like that. I already make wine but I have read that beer is more complex.
View Quote

I've heard that this beer from austin homebrew is pretty similar.
Havent tried it myself though

Extract is pretty simple as long as you follow the instructions and sanitize well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 6:30:30 PM EDT
[#2]
While I can't recommend a recipe for Smithwick's I can tell you that brewing isn't very difficult, unless you make it difficult. Like wine, sanitation is key for beer. Assuming you already make good wine and follow good sanitation procedures, you've already overcome one of the major hurdles for new brewers.

Extract brewing is a good way to start and get your feet wet. It's a cheaper initial equipment investment and not as particular with temperatures. In a very simplified manner, you heat water, steep grains, bring water to a boil, add malt extract, boil for an hour, add hops during that hour, cool the wort as quickly as possible to 70F, add yeast, ferment for a week or two, bottle or keg. It may sound complicated, but all you really need to make sure it's done right are a kitchen thermometer and a timer.

If you start to enjoy brewing, the possibilities are nearly endless. There are infinitely many combinations of grain, malt, hops, yeast, spices, fruits, vegetables, sugars, and water.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 4:22:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Austin Homebrew Supply has a Smithwicks clone.  You can go to their website and order a batch directly to your house.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Extract is pretty easy, even with steeping grains.  I'm thinking about making the all grain jump this year, but I haven't committed yet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top