Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/22/2014 5:58:10 PM EDT
first batch....

looking for a way to back sweeten and carbonate at the same time without popping bottles.

any ideas/suggestions
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 6:47:07 PM EDT
[#1]
It's difficult to do depending on what equipment you have.

If you want to naturally carbonate in bottles, you need to use a non-fermentable sugar to sweeten plus some fermentable sugar to carbonate. It's hard to get the ratios right.

If you have kegging equipment, that's that I'd recommend. Kill off the yeast with campden tablets (or one of the other yeast killers) then backsweeten as desired with whatever sugar you like, then force carbonate to desired carbonation and then bottle from the keg.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I back sweeten about a week and a half ago and now it sits in my carboy....   I want to bottle it but not sure what to do next...since there is some sugars still in there.... but probably not enough to carbonate...??

was thinking of some stevia and priming sugar...would do the trick just don't know how much

thoughts??
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 10:10:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I back sweeten about a week and a half ago and now it sits in my carboy....   I want to bottle it but not sure what to do next...since there is some sugars still in there.... but probably not enough to carbonate...??

was thinking of some stevia and priming sugar...would do the trick just don't know how much

thoughts??
View Quote

If you added fermentable sugars, eventually the yeast will eat all of them an poop out CO2, leading to carbonation (if in a bottle, otherwise nothing but additional dryness) and no sweetness in the bottle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Backsweeten to taste. Bottle. Allow to carb. Then refrigerate. Consume in two months or less.
The yeast WILL still go some in the fridge, but slow. I have done a couple batches this way with no
explosion but they are a lot more carbed at the end. If your friends like it the stuff won't last a month
anyway.
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 8:10:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies!!  I think I'm going to try Stevia to taste and then a 1/2 cup of priming sugar for the 6 Gallons

My fear is there is still sugar from when I back sweeten in the 6G carboy a couple weeks ago..and any more back sweeten with fermentable sugars would be....POP!!
Link Posted: 1/27/2014 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I backsweeten with AJC and a little priming sugar, bottle, wait for optimal carb, then pasteurize.
Link Posted: 2/4/2014 10:30:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I backsweeten with AJC and a little priming sugar, bottle, wait for optimal carb, then pasteurize.
View Quote

What method are you using to pasteurize?

I'm running an experiment right now with using the dishwasher on "sanitize" to pasteurize.
Pulled a couple bottles out of carb and ran them through.  Will see if they carb up at all.

If they don't I'll try a couple of carbed bottles later and see if they explode or not in the dishwasher.
Link Posted: 2/5/2014 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I'm running an experiment right now with using the dishwasher on "sanitize" to pasteurize.
Pulled a couple bottles out of carb and ran them through.  Will see if they carb up at all.

If they don't I'll try a couple of carbed bottles later and see if they explode or not in the dishwasher.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stove top method:
Heat water to 190*
Submerge for 10-15 minutes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top