BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 12:01:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I blame Josh for whomever he just jinxed
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a screwed up IPA...Followed a recepie but substituted Amarillo in place of Cascade...Didn't notice until I was done that the alpha was around 16%...and I used these for flavoring and aroma...

Gonna be a bitter one but we'll see....

Also made a 1gal batch of simple honey mead on Friday...used D-47 (lalvin)....fermenting nicely. Will rack onto 1.5lbs of last years raspberries in a month or three....
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have a screwed up IPA...Followed a recepie but substituted Amarillo in place of Cascade...Didn't notice until I was done that the alpha was around 16%...and I used these for flavoring and aroma...

Oh wow, that's terrible! Send it my way and I'll be sure to dispose of it appropriately.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 7:55:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I brewed up a batch of American Pale Ale yesterday and it is down in the basement bubbling away.  This is my first batch in 18 years.   I got a kit way back when, made a couple of batches that didn't turn out so good so I threw everything in the box and shoved it into a corner.  Two weeks ago I was in CO and visited New Belgium Brewery.  I walked out of the place and my first thought was to brew some beer!

Wish me luck.  I should be bottling on April Fool's Day
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 7:59:53 PM EDT
[#5]
A clone, tweaked a bit more robust to my taste.  Big Rock Warthog Cream Ale a la Scrum.  Last batch turned out too mellow.
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 8:20:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Summer orange wheat
Dbl dark chocolate stout
Cream ale

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 12:01:05 AM EDT
[#7]
about 26,000 gallons of concord
Link Posted: 3/23/2012 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
about 26,000 gallons of concord

K. You win.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 8:56:41 PM EDT
[#9]

a Czech Pilsner
& (2) Taz Lager, 1 with White Labs, and 1  with SAF-23

We're having a temp drop next week, so I'm hoping to eek out the free cooling.  I have an
outdoor stairwell leading into my basement that maintains a 50 -52' temp for my primary
as long as it stays under 60 outside.

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a cream ale, and a Irish blonde in the fermenters.

Did a double brew day yesterday. got to keep the pipeline full.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 10:45:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Just put a Kazbek ale kit from AHS in the fermenter yesterday and I'm bottling another ASH kit called Apocalypso ale today. Good weekend for beer in my neck of the woods.
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#12]
nothing now
but I recently got a juicer and when I was last at Sams I got some of the frozen berry mixes so I'm thinking of juicing those and then fermenting it, possibly with honey instead of sugar to make a berry mead
Link Posted: 3/25/2012 6:51:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Czech Pilsner is being cold crashed (for 3 or 4 days now cause I haven't had time to do anything else with it).  I'll be racking that to a keg for lagering.  Should be ready mid May.  I'm also going to be doing soon my belgian wit "Nit Wit."

Link Posted: 3/25/2012 9:28:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Today was a brew day.  It helped work off nervous energy while I was watching the Kentucky Baylor game.

A Belgian Ale is now in the primary and the American Pale Ale has moved into the secondary.
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#15]
10 gallons of Pilsner cold crashing.

10 gallons of Light Hefe fermenting.

Link Posted: 3/30/2012 12:51:08 AM EDT
[#16]
5 gallon IPA in primary

5 gallon Trippel in secondary

about 2 cases bottle conditioning hef
Link Posted: 3/30/2012 10:42:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm brewing my first batch tomorrow.  I got a kit from Midwest Brewing by the name of "autumn amber ale."

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#18]
right now I have a liter of Wyeast 3056 Bavarian Wheat Blend as a starter...later today, 5 gallons of Bavarian Wheat shall be made...
Link Posted: 3/31/2012 1:42:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Ready to be bottled:
Strong Scotch Ale spiked with rum (cold crashing)
Apfelwein x4 (5 gal ea: US-05, S-04, WLP400, WLP500)
2x 1 gal hard cider

Conditioning:
Hybrid barleywine (British malt, American hops)
English pale ale
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 7:22:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Brewed an Oktoberfest on Saturday and checked it Sunday night....happily bubbling away at 50 degrees!
Link Posted: 4/6/2012 10:22:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Adding  10g of Cascade Pale today.

I didn't plan very well.  I've got kegs empty & running dry, and only have
lagers in the pipeline, just starting to lager.  

Beer beer everywhere, not a drop to drink  !

ETA:  10g of Cascade is in the can !

Link Posted: 4/10/2012 6:31:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I am bone dry in the fermenters right now.  I really need to get my shit together and plan the next brew.  I only have one empty keg left.  So I might brew up a simple beer, then make a big one that has to age.
Link Posted: 4/10/2012 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#23]
6 Gal of Munton's IPA.

Link Posted: 4/11/2012 6:27:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Kolsch in a keg just about ready
IPA in a keg half gone
Anther Kolsch ready to Keg and then lager for six weeks.
Patience is essential
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Got a Shock Top Belgian White clone cooking right now.
Just bottled an American Ale this weekend.

This will be my 3rd brew ever. I think I'm addicted.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:39:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Five gallons of Kolsch beer in primary.
Also six gallons of Old Vine Zinfandel wine in primary.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 10:45:30 PM EDT
[#27]
5 gallons of ESB ready to be Bottled
5 gallons of Apfelwein - Still cleaning itself up
10 gallons of Belgian Wit - Fermenting
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 2:12:14 AM EDT
[#28]
5 gallons of a Smithwick's Ale clone started last Friday.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 7:34:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Black cherry Cider
Apple cider
Just bottled a hard cream soda
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 11:46:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Black cherry Cider
Apple cider
Just bottled a hard cream soda

Do you have a recipe for this you can share?  I think it's somthing the wife might be interested in
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 12:11:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I can now post in this thread. Currently have three one gallon carboys making Joe's Ancient Orange Mead as of last night.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
PSA:

Just a warning...I know there are a few folks that use glass to ferment in around here.  Those things get heavy and if you use those tools that fit around the neck of the carboy without supporting from the bottom.  You might have an explosive mess on your hands.  Google it.  I've read a few testaments over on homebrewtalk about needing to support the bottoms of full carboys when using the lift assist thing.  

I'm not suggesting you don't already know that, I'm just putting it out there.  It popped in my head and I'd feel bad if I didn't say something then tomorrow there's a post on someones broken carboy which broke at the neck because the bottom was not being supported.  I think the main issue is supporting it when it's full.  If it's empty I don't think it's an issue.  

/PSA

I use milk crate for the carboys... one 6.5 gal fermenter & three 5 gal secondaries.

currently fermenting...
Black Cherry Belgian Triple (Kasteel Rouge Clone)
Chocolate Milk Stout

About to Brew...
Peach Wheat Ale (Son of a Peach clone)
Brown ale (Bell's Best clone)... will have to wait one of the above is done in the primary

Link Posted: 4/18/2012 9:30:12 PM EDT
[#33]
5 gallons of Belgian Tripel since early March
5 gallons of Red Ale brewed yesterday
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Nothing. I kegged my Orange American Wheat and my own recipe Simcoe Orange Pale Ale last week.

I am currently looking for my next recipe.

Link Posted: 4/19/2012 8:44:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I use milk crate for the carboys... one 6.5 gal fermenter & three 5 gal secondaries.

currently fermenting...

Chocolate Milk Stout

About to Brew...

Peach Wheat Ale (Son of a Peach clone)

Brown ale (Bell's Best clone)... will have to wait one of the above is done in the primary

Hey. My Wife loves that stuff. Would you mind sharing your recipe? How close is it?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 4/19/2012 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Quoted:
currently fermenting...
Hey. My Wife loves that stuff. Would you mind sharing your recipe? How close is it?

Thanks!

Making it for the first time (so I don't know how close it actually is...)
Took a Belgian Triple DME Kit with steeping grains, added 1.5 lbs (1/2 can) of Black Cherry puree
at the end of boil, just before cooling.  Plan on using the remaining 1/2 can in the secondary & racking
onto it.  I'll leave it in the primary for about 4 weeks, then the secondary for another 4 weeks, then age in
a keg until Christmas.... that's the plan anyway.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I just finished off my Honey Nut Brown Ale. This weekend, I will probably start a batch of Caribou Slobber (Moose Drool copy)
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 12:45:15 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

currently fermenting...

Thanks!

Making it for the first time (so I don't know how close it actually is...)

Took a Belgian Triple DME Kit with steeping grains, added 1.5 lbs (1/2 can) of Black Cherry puree

at the end of boil, just before cooling.  Plan on using the remaining 1/2 can in the secondary & racking

onto it.  I'll leave it in the primary for about 4 weeks, then the secondary for another 4 weeks, then age in

a keg until Christmas.... that's the plan anyway.
Let me know how it comes out.  Is it s 5gal batch?

Link Posted: 4/19/2012 2:07:38 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Let me know how it comes out.  Is it s 5gal batch?

5 gal.
I told the guy at the brew store I'd like to try to make it, because my wife also loves it...
He said it was just a belgian triple with cherry added.  He said he's made it numerous times.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 7:57:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Added 3  batches of wine in the past couple of weeks.

A Gewurtztraminer, Old Vine Zin, and a NZ Sauvignon Blanc.

Lagers are still lagering, Cascade pale is conditioning.

Gonna try to get a Kolsch going this weekend.

ETA:  Anybody have a really good Oktoberfest recipe that they want to share ?

Link Posted: 4/22/2012 8:45:00 PM EDT
[#41]
Brown River Ale AG in secondary 6gal and Raspberry mead 5 gal about 2 month old
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Racked a MM Old Vine Zinfandel to secondary this morning.
I wanted to rack my Kolsh beer to secondary but the SG isn't stable so I'll wait til next weekend.
I did order another 6 gallon kit of Cabernet wine this morning.
Link Posted: 4/22/2012 10:17:54 PM EDT
[#43]
My first batch is bottle conditioning...Its been 9 days.  I think I'll crack the first one next Friday, that will be two weeks.  Everyone seems to recommend bottle conditioning for at least 3 week for a regular ale.  "The waiting is the hardest part."

I'm trying to figure out whether I want to do a stout next or some sort of summer brew...
Link Posted: 4/23/2012 5:15:32 PM EDT
[#44]
My first batch went into the fermenter last night. It was just a Irish Red partial mash kit but I'm pretty excited.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#45]
IPA with enough hops added to hopefully get the IBUs over 100.
Link Posted: 5/6/2012 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#46]
Three more gallons of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead fermenting now for a total of six. This time I used spring water and higher quality clover (for one gallon) and orange blossom (for the other two gallons) honey and left the orange rinds on two of them for control batches.

Link Posted: 5/7/2012 6:11:53 PM EDT
[#47]
I brewed the NB Cream Ale a week ago Saturday, I'll bottle it this weekend and condition the bottles for two more weeks (4 weeks total).  This is my first brew.

My second batch will be the NB American Rye Ale.  I plan to modify the recipe a bit by adding 1 cup of brown sugar just before cooling the wort.

My brew setup:

10 gallon brew kettle I bought off a local brewclub member, immersion cooler (50 ft. of 3/8" copper line) and just barely visible in the white bucket, my prechiller, a re-purposed Hayden 457 oil cooler.

Prep table:

Fermentor on the bottom left, being sanitized, the santizer bucket right next to it; on the top, sanitizer mix, hydrometer, clipboard with recipe, scissors ready to be sanitized and in back of it, two spray bottles, one with sanitizer, the other just water (to cool the wort froth, if necessary). The brew setup is to the right in this pic.

The re-purposed Hayden 457 oil cooler pre-chiller. I fill the bucket with 10 lbs of ice, then cold water all the way to the top.  I can get 5 gallons of boiling wort down to 65 degrees in a little over a half hour.  It's not necessary right now, but will be in a couple more weeks due to the hot Alabama summer temps.

Link Posted: 5/23/2012 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#48]
A good ol' American Ale.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#49]
The Cream Ale I brewed the weekend of 4/28 is just coming due this weekend.

The American Rye Ale I brewed 5/12 will be bottled this weekend, then another 2 weeks of bottle conditioning after that.

I plan to brew the NB AK47 Pale Ale this weekend.  It will start being ready 6/22 or so.

It's obvious with home brewing that you have to plan ahead.
Link Posted: 5/24/2012 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#50]
Saturday I put a Black Pintz Stout and Midwest's  Sierra Nevada clone into the primaries.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top