Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 21
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#1]
My Homebrew Club did a Winter Warmer on Saturday.  The wort tasted delicious, so we'll see how the finished product ends up.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 10:32:18 PM EDT
[#2]
My East Coast Yeast Wallonian Farmhouse(Fanotme) yeast starter is cold crashing and almost ready to be used in another saison I'll be brewing. I've never had a Fantome, and was shocked at how a sip of the starter tasted....exactly like grape soda!

ETA: East Coast Yeast is offering a discount for all veterans and active duty this week
Link Posted: 11/11/2015 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I just put Midwest Supplies Hank's Hefeweizen kit in the fermentation chamber.  In the morning I'll be pitching the yeast in a cider.
Link Posted: 11/13/2015 4:53:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Brewed a simple saison to try the Fantome yeast. We'll see how this is after a few months.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Brewing another saison, this one with the Yeast Bay saison brett blend.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:11:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Got my WLP644(my favorite IPA/hoppy beer yeast) yeast starter going this morning, hopefully I'll use it in an IPA Tuesday or Wednesday.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 4:07:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 6:26:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm new to home brewing...

I bought a Northern Brewer Deluxe starter kit with Caribou Slobber ingredients!

I love Big Sky Moose Drool, so I'm hoping this will taste great!

I had to go out of town las week, so my brew was in the secondary fermentation carboy for ~6 days longer than "required" by recipe.  I hope this doesn't ruin the beer!  I have no idea for sure.

My shipment of ten growlers is scheduled to arrive tomorrow so I will likely be bottling tomorrow night when I get home from work (after a sizable amount of washing / sanitizing).

Have any of you guys had good luck with this kit / recipe?  Any issue with having it in the secondary fermenter probably a total of 7 days longer than the "2 week" recommendation?

When transferring it from primary to secondary carboy about 2.5+ weeks ago, the brew smelled SO DAM GOOD!  I wanted to drink it right there...

It will be exciting to drink my first pint in about ~2 weeks time after it carbonates in the growlers for a while!
View Quote

Wait, are you planning on bottling in growlers?? Don't do that. Use regular bottles that can handle higher pressure than what a growler can.

Most here will say that secondary fermenters aren't needed, but there should be no problem keeping it in there for an extended amount of time as long as there isn't any oxygen getting to the beer.

I've never used that recipe, I hope it turns out well for you.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Got 5 gallons of a pilsner (in the freezer at lager fermentation temps) and 1 gallon of a "Winter Warmer" recipe (outside at Ale temps).

God, I had forgotten how much temperature control sucks when NOT using my freezer and my temperature controller.  Its a genuine PITA.

Link Posted: 11/24/2015 4:50:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Got back on the horse this past Saturday after year hiatus. Simple 5 gal LME Bev Hef to get back in the grove.

Couple of hiccups but nothing insurmountable. Bubbling away in the ferm as it should, woohoo!

Looking to do another on Thursday since we aren't celebrating T-day until Friday.

Just hope I remember how to bottle.
Link Posted: 11/24/2015 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#11]
5 Gallons of JAOM

Link Posted: 11/25/2015 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I was planning to bottle in growlers...  What's the point in even making growlers if you can't bottle in them?

I don't own any normal bottles...  I was just planning to use the growlers.

A co-worker of mine did his last whole batch in growlers.  One out of the 9-10 growlers they bottled was totally flat though.

Honestly, if I'm drinking beer, it's usually with other people, and growlers seem like a good way to go.  Fewer bottles to sanitize, making the actual sanitizing process easier.  Fewer bottles to wash & dry = easier washing.  Larger opening = easier washing.  Larger bottle means I can share with friends/family.

If I do use growlers, do I just make darn sure the 38mm caps are incredibly tight?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wait, are you planning on bottling in growlers?? Don't do that. Use regular bottles that can handle higher pressure than what a growler can.

Most here will say that secondary fermenters aren't needed, but there should be no problem keeping it in there for an extended amount of time as long as there isn't any oxygen getting to the beer.

I was planning to bottle in growlers...  What's the point in even making growlers if you can't bottle in them?

A co-worker of mine did his last whole batch in growlers.  One out of the 9-10 growlers they bottled was totally flat though.

Honestly, if I'm drinking beer, it's usually with other people, and growlers seem like a good way to go.  Fewer bottles to sanitize, making the actual sanitizing process easier.  Fewer bottles to wash & dry = easier washing.  Larger opening = easier washing.  Larger bottle means I can share with friends/family.

If I do use growlers, do I just make darn sure the 38mm caps are incredibly tight?

Sounds like you should read up on brewing, no offense. The process of carbonating your beer could/will/possibly explode your growlers. Good luck.
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 8:02:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do not use growlers. They are not made to handle the pressure and could explode, possibly seriously injuring yourself or someone else.

If you want to bottle in larger vessels, I would recommend empty 2 liter Sprite bottles. Rinse them out and then swish some starsan in them and they are GTG. Screw the cap on tight and wait for the bottle to get hard and viola! you now know that they are carbed up. Pop bottles are actually able to handle psi much higher than glass beer bottles.

Works great and gives you a six pack to go whenever you want. Takes up less space, easy to clean (just rise them out well after pouring), and even gives you a tactile method of telling when they are carbed.

I used this method for a 5 gallon batch for my sons bday party. Worked great! I did transfer them into growlers for that "craft beer" effect as I thought most of my guests would find it strange to drink beer from a green 2 liter bottle.
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 1:44:57 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/26/2015 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I use soda bottles all the time, they are great!

Last night I assisted my wife while she brewed her first ever beer. A partial extract IPA using a full pound of Galaxy hops and WLP644 yeast. Should be tropical as fuck
Link Posted: 12/5/2015 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#17]
A few days ago I bottled up my collaboration beer: Obi Wine Quadobi.  A co-worker nicknamed Obi made a batch of Malbec and gave me a bottle. I brewed a quad to combine. So 5 gallons were in the bottling bucket with priming sugar and champagne yeast, I bottled 8 of just the quad, then dumped in the bottle of wine and bottled up 36 of those, then added Wyeast brett L and bottled the rest in plastic bottles.  The samples were exciting!

Today I bottled up a saison using The Yeast Bay's Wallonian Farmhouse, AKA: Fantome, to see what it was like since I've never had any Fantome before. The sip I took off of the yeast starter was pure grape soda. Purple drank.  Today the sample I was sipping on while bottling was also grape soda.  Weird, not sure what to think of this.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 3:02:34 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got Northern Brewer's Plinian Legacy in primary right now and brewing a batch of my Death Metal Stout today, it's a beautiful day for brewing
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Dales Pale Ale Clone from Austin Home Brew.

Obligatory pic of brew session.

We are fermenting in a Fast Fermentor for the first time and I really think I'm going to like it.  Conical and plastic with a yeast trap.  Just need to figure out a better fermentation chamber.  I'm using my spare fridge as a kegerator and then having to move the beer to a second fridge(with freezer on top so can't use it as a fermentation chamber because we can't turn the freezer off independently) without the tap setup so we can use the first fridge for a fermentation chamber.  I'm going to make a keezer at some point, but does anyone else have a go to fermentation chamber design the would suggest?
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#20]
A cardboard box with insulation and a lightbulb in a coffee can hooked to a temp controller. Yeah, it's ghetto as fuck, but it works as well as a high dollar setup. Just don't show it to anyone

I bottled the "wife's" IPA. Holy fuckballs it's good!!!!
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 11:14:45 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

A cardboard box with insulation and a lightbulb in a coffee can hooked to a temp controller. Yeah, it's ghetto as fuck, but it works as well as a high dollar setup. Just don't show it to anyone
View Quote

So, there are places in this country where the snow melts during the summer.

My chest freezer in the garage was having trouble staying warm enough on cold nights.  I threw in a small fan and it's been holding right where I set it...pretty cool how a little electronic device can put off a decent amount of warmth.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 2:15:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I bottled the "wife's" IPA. Holy fuckballs it's good!!!!
View Quote

I use a large, round plastic tote filled with water and a aquarium heater. It works!
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Brewed an old ale but I'm fermenting it with WLP830 in my mini fridge fermenter.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 3:45:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Yesterday I bottled my Sofie clone and a saison brett.  These are for the spring.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 4:01:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I just finished brewing up an Irish red (had to sub a few things might end up being brown
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 11:12:48 AM EDT
[#26]
After a little research I narrowed down a recipe to attempt to clone New Glarus Moon Man (can't buy this outside of WI).

Seems to be a complex blend of hops that homebrewers have been debating forever.  I settled on a mixture of Citra, Wilamette, Cascade, Motueka and Amarillo added in 5 intervals and a dry hop.

Beer is currently fermenting in the carboy.  I consider cracking this recipe my brewing holy grail.  It's a damn good beer.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2016 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
After a little research I narrowed down a recipe to attempt to clone New Glarus Moon Man (can't buy this outside of WI).

Seems to be a complex blend of hops that homebrewers have been debating forever.  I settled on a mixture of Citra, Wilamette, Cascade, Motueka and Amarillo added in 5 intervals and a dry hop.

Beer is currently fermenting in the carboy.  I consider cracking this recipe my brewing holy grail.  It's a damn good beer.  

View Quote

A friends sister married a guy from WI and they brought in a bunch of spotted cow and everyone hated it which was a plus for me because now I have a bunch of spotted cow that I like.
Link Posted: 1/7/2016 12:25:54 AM EDT
[#28]
I have an American Wheat Beer in the fermenter currently it is my first large batch kit, I have a double IPA I am going to run when everything is cleaned up after this.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
A friends sister married a guy from WI and they brought in a bunch of spotted cow and everyone hated it which was a plus for me because now I have a bunch of spotted cow that I like.
View Quote

Spotted cow is by far their most popular beer.  Reason being it's a very mild, neutral cream ale.  More substance than your typical BMC stuff, but mild enough to be non-offensive to your typical anti-craft brew crowds.  I've got a pretty good clone of that recipe from Northern Brewer and it's always a hit to have on tap.
Link Posted: 1/16/2016 7:06:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I whipped this one up today: 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Local Unpasteurized Cider
Fermented  using a  English Cider Yeast.
Should be about 8% after fermenting out.  The clarity is starting to show..
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 12:19:09 PM EDT
[#32]
Primary: Chocolate Peanut Butter Porter, Northern Brewer's Kama Citra and West Coast Red Ale

Secondary: Belgian Golden Strong Ale, Plinian Legacy

Keg: Death Metal Stout

I really should've used a hop bag for dry hopping the Plinian Legacy, ended up using gelatin to get the hop bits to settle out
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:50:25 PM EDT
[#33]
Nothing right now'

I need to fix that
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 4:34:50 PM EDT
[#34]
Just did a Rye IPA yesterday.  Presidents Day brew!

Link Posted: 2/18/2016 12:51:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Have a DFH 60 min inspired IPA dry hopping now.

And my house Irish Red in bubbling away.

Only have 2 other kegs (SMASH with Maris Otter/Galaxy, Spotted Cow replica) in line before they make it into the keezer
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:45:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Have a Trainwreck IPA from beersmith in the fermenter right now.  Been out of town for about a month and haven't been able to keep things going as I needed.  When this one goes into the secondary we will boil up a Stone IPA again as it was a good drinker.
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 1:00:33 AM EDT
[#37]
I've got a batch of Skeeter Pee going.  http://skeeterpee.com/recipe
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I am doing my first attempt at homebrew, I've got a 3L starter going that we cooked up last night.
~1 lb of pale DME, and WYEAST 1214.

Brew day is Saturday. Brewing a Belgian Trippel off a recipe that won a national homebrew competition.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 7:04:33 PM EDT
[#39]
The 15 Minute Cascade Pale Ale turned out great.  I just made the recipe below as my last extract beer before going to all grain.  I'll make the same beer as my first all grain in two weeks so I can compare them.

Centennial Blonde Ale
Link Posted: 3/29/2016 3:45:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

I recently bottled some Skeeter Pee that was sitting in a carboy for the last two years. Stranger Danger.

I've made several batches in the past but this one was just sitting there, staring at me, longing to be bottled but life kept getting in the way. Skeeter Pee is normally a "be careful with that" type of drink, this two year old batch is a whole different level of "don't make any plans"
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I recently bottled some Skeeter Pee that was sitting in a carboy for the last two years. Stranger Danger.

I've made several batches in the past but this one was just sitting there, staring at me, longing to be bottled but life kept getting in the way. Skeeter Pee is normally a "be careful with that" type of drink, this two year old batch is a whole different level of "don't make any plans"
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still have a few large bomber bottles of that from last year, going to have to get another batch going soon for the summer.  I love mixing it half and half with lemonade in a tall glass with ice when it's hot out.
Link Posted: 3/30/2016 11:17:59 PM EDT
[#42]
1 gallon of JOAM.
Link Posted: 3/31/2016 10:52:06 AM EDT
[#43]
9 Gallons of IPA last night.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 2:20:55 AM EDT
[#44]
5 gallons of a ESB 1 week into ferment and ill be brewing up a IPA tomorrow
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:06:51 AM EDT
[#45]
We got a good deal on honey, so we set up 5 gallons of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead and 3 gallons of a Cinnamon Vanilla Mead.  We've still got easily 3.5 gallons of JOAM and 4 gallons of Cherry Mead from last year.

About a month ago we opened a bottle of last year's JAOM; it was amazing.

An old pic, but relevant:

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:05:34 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We got a good deal on honey, so we set up 5 gallons of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead and 3 gallons of a Cinnamon Vanilla Mead.  We've still got easily 3.5 gallons of JOAM and 4 gallons of Cherry Mead from last year.

About a month ago we opened a bottle of last year's JAOM; it was amazing.
View Quote

I have 2 gallons of JAOM that have been in the closet for 6 months and will be mixing up a 5 gallon batch over the weekend.  I just finished off the last of my 2 year old JAOM and it was smooth as silk and very tasty.  After that I decided I had to keep making this every 6 months at least to keep the pipeline flowing.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 4:07:05 PM EDT
[#47]
I have this APA bubbling right now: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=31793

It was my first time batch sparging.  My mash tun performed like a champ and I did like the process more than BIAB.  The cleanup, not so much.  Now to focus on water chemistry for the next batch.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Basically this recipe:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=568046

1.5 L starter, Wyeast 1318 London Ale III
8oz Mosaic Hops
4oz El Dorado Hops
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 5:42:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Texas blond, by barley and hops in secondary. Partial mash.

African amber, by barley and hops in primary. partial mash.

Mexican cervesa, brewer's best partial extract in primary this mornng.

I know a secondary is not required; it does however, free up a primary, of which I have only two.

Link Posted: 7/12/2016 1:24:19 PM EDT
[#50]
I really want to make a gallon of JAOM but I don't have a 1 gallon fermenter... need several of them.... hmm what to do?
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top