Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 21
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 7:42:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, either the first beer I made got better (conditioning), or the taste is growing on me, or both.

In any case I decided to try out the second kit that came with my christmas gift: Mr. Beer Kit #2 Czech Pilsner.

I've decided that using this low grad equipment will let me better appreciate the difference if and when I finally upgrade (probably going to wait until after I have a bigger place to live.)

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 9:18:53 AM EDT
[#2]
We  need more info about your Czech pilsner.  This beer should be a lager style beer.  What yeast?  What temp do you plan on fermenting it at?  Are you going to cold condition it, and if so, how long?

Anyone who has never brewed up a batch that tasted like shit the first time they tried it, put your s/n here.  
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 10:42:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
We  need more info about your Czech pilsner.  This beer should be a lager style beer.  What yeast?  What temp do you plan on fermenting it at?  Are you going to cold condition it, and if so, how long?
Anyone who has never brewed up a batch that tasted like shit the first time they tried it, put your s/n here.  
View Quote
The yeast is whatever comes with the kit (just coopers ale yeast?).  Says to ferment it between 68-75.  Last time it got hot here and the beer got too warm (about 80F).
This time I have a temperature controller and a heater and am keeping my apartment cold.
Given the temperature range specified by the yeast I was afraid to go low and try to larger it and the beer not fermenting. I don't really like lagers anyway, so Its not important for me to nail the taste on the style, I just don't want it to take like apple like the last one.  Because of this, I'm keeping the temperature at 68.
Cold conditioning it? I got more bottles this time, so that is a possibility.  The last one I just drank early to get rid of it (and thus, try again) and also to see how it gets better with time in the fridge (which I believe it did).

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The yeast is whatever comes with the kit (just coopers ale yeast?).  Says to ferment it between 68-75.  Last time it got hot here and the beer got too warm (about 80F).

This time I have a temperature controller and a heater and am keeping my apartment cold.

Given the temperature range specified by the yeast I was afraid to go low and try to larger it and the beer not fermenting. I don't really like lagers anyway, so Its not important for me to nail the taste on the style, I just don't want it to take like apple like the last one.  Because of this, I'm keeping the temperature at 68.

Cold conditioning it? I got more bottles this time, so that is a possibility.  The last one I just drank early to get rid of it (and thus, try again) and also to see how it gets better with time in the fridge (which I believe it did).

View Quote

Buy fresh yeast.  I prefer the liquid yeasts (Wyeast or White Labs).  Having fresh, viable yeast and keeping them happy by fermenting at the proper temperature are two of the most important parts of brewing IMO.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 12:08:30 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Buy fresh yeast.  I prefer the liquid yeasts (Wyeast or White Labs).  Having fresh, viable yeast and keeping them happy by fermenting at the proper temperature are two of the most important parts of brewing IMO.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I will consider it in the future.

Right now I'm just doing basic stuff with the bare minimum as I don't have allot of money or room in my apartment to do much more.  I realize the challenges and possibly problems associated with this philosophy, but am just having fun with it right now.

I'm hoping this will give me some experience and some knowledge of how things taste when they are "good enough", and how things taste when you do it with better ingredients, better equipment and better knowledge (I'm still learning the ropes, going to buy that "how to brew" book eventually).

That way I'll have 3 data points of taste: 1) Bare minimum home brew. 2) Better equipment, ingredients, and knowledge home brew (which I plan to do later), 3) Store bought craft beer (which I've had PLENTY of).

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Right now I'm just doing basic stuff with the bare minimum as I don't have allot of money or room in my apartment to do much more.  I realize the challenges and possibly problems associated with this philosophy, but am just having fun with it right now.

I'm hoping this will give me some experience and some knowledge of how things taste when they are "good enough", and how things taste when you do it with better ingredients, better equipment and better knowledge (I'm still learning the ropes, going to buy that "how to brew" book eventually).

That way I'll have 3 data points of taste: 1) Bare minimum home brew. 2) Better equipment, ingredients, and knowledge home brew (which I plan to do later), 3) Store bought craft beer (which I've had PLENTY of).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's something you can do without extra equipment (use a growler; skip the stir plate) that will increase your quality: do a yeast starter. For liquid yeast, this is a near-requirement if you're making beer with much booze in it to increase cell count. Dry yeast usually has plenty of cells, but this'll get them fired up and ready to start munching on sugar.

I think I have How To Brew....shoot me an IM and I'll check. You can have it for a couple bucks to cover shipping.
Link Posted: 2/17/2014 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Just started a batch of Graham's English Cider. Should be ready in time for the hot summer weather.
Link Posted: 2/21/2014 11:13:34 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a German altbier bubbling.....
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#9]
A simple AG Bavarian hefeweiss, started as a Weihenstephan clone and have been doing it for over a decade. I start ferm at 66F and let it go as warm as it wants to get more banana esters. And I sometimes add a pound of sugar at full krausen to kick it up a notch
Link Posted: 2/22/2014 8:33:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Just started a 1ga apfelwein with Cotes De Blanc rather than Montrachet.  I'm interested in what differences there will be.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 11:16:49 AM EDT
[#11]
I transferred a light american lager to the secondary yesterday, to begin lagering.  It tested out at 1.015.  Tasted pretty good for a green beer.  Now comes 6 weeks of waiting.  It was quite clear for going in the secondary.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 11:23:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Well, I bottled the cheepo pilsner and it tasted far, far better out of the fermenter than the previous beer did at any point in its lifespan in my fridge (its already gone, because, it sucked).

Simply amazing what a fermenting at the correct temperature for the yeast can do to improve things.

Thanks guys for your encouragement and advice for a brewing noob!
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 1:46:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A simple AG Bavarian hefeweiss, started as a Weihenstephan clone and have been doing it for over a decade. I start ferm at 66F and let it go as warm as it wants to get more banana esters. And I sometimes add a pound of sugar at full krausen to kick it up a notch
View Quote

Have you posted up the recipe? I would imagine you've got it pretty dialed in at this point.

fatalerror113 -- your book is sitting on my coffee table. I'll send it out this week, sorry. Glad your brew is good. Ferment temp is crucial.
Link Posted: 2/23/2014 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#14]
^^^ Super duper easy.  
For a 5.5 gal "Weihenstephan hefeweiss clone"  batch with my equipment:

Starting SG 1.051
Ending SG 1.010, usually
6lbs malted white wheat
6lbs Pilsner
1 lb rice hulls( can use less)
1/2 oz Hallertau @60
1/2 oz Hallertua @15
Wyest 3068(the ONLY yeast I use for this) with no starter.

20 mins at 125
60 mins at 152
10 mins at 168 mashout

Hour boil

Fermentation starts at 66F and then gets as warm as it wants.  
No secondary!!!!
Bottle at 3.5-4 vols., usually 1 cup table sugar.
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 5:05:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Another snow day  

So I have my Don De Dieu clone in the fermentor

8lbs Pilsner
8lbs wheat
1 oz halletaur @60
1/2 oz KSG @ 15
1 lb sugar @ 15
Wyeast 3864(Unibroue)
1 lb sugar at full krausen

90 min mash at 148F, 10 min sparge at 170F
60min boil.
Ferment at 66F the first day, slowly raise up to 74. Secondary at 66F for 2 weeks.  Keep at 74F after bottling.

Yummy and easy
Link Posted: 2/27/2014 5:09:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Raging Red Irish Ale is cold crashing right now.
Tasted the gravity sample, and it is indeed stellar.

Great fermentation as well:

Link Posted: 2/27/2014 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks to mjohn3006 I'm getting ready to brew this over the weekend and see how it goes.
Changing to Citra hops though, since they are my favorite, and I just got another pound of them in the mail.

Skip to 5:35

Link Posted: 2/28/2014 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Even as a lawn-mower beer, I dont know about a 1%abv. I could see a 3% or 4% version being great. Hmm.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 10:23:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Sounds tasty, but I don't drink NA beer  Too much work for a a 1%.
Link Posted: 2/28/2014 3:24:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I've adjusted my recipe for 3%.  I'm not going to that much trouble for 2%.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 6:55:19 AM EDT
[#21]
I have (Denny Conn's recipe) Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter in primary.  

In 4 days, it has basically finished fermenting (barely bubbling in airlock) --this is  a 1.078 beer!  (Lag time was 3 hours--when you could start seeing activity on the top surface of the beer)

This highlights the differences I get with dry vs liquid yeast...using the same process (wyeast nutrient and pure oxygen in the beginning) I have got this big of a beer done in less than 5 days (temp controlled @ 66 BTW) in my opinion because I made a good sized starter of fresh, active yeast beforehand.  In contrast, I have made a 1.050 Cream ale with S-05 dry yeast (rehydrated correctly) that took nearly 10 days to finish!

I'm sold on the use of properly prepared liquid yeast for the best beer I can possibly make...

(not that it is the MOST important thing, because I would put full boil/ temp control at the top)
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have (Denny Conn's recipe) Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter in primary.  

In 4 days, it has basically finished fermenting (barely bubbling in airlock) --this is  a 1.078 beer!  (Lag time was 3 hours--when you could start seeing activity on the top surface of the beer)

This highlights the differences I get with dry vs liquid yeast...using the same process (wyeast nutrient and pure oxygen in the beginning) I have got this big of a beer done in less than 5 days (temp controlled @ 66 BTW) in my opinion because I made a good sized starter of fresh, active yeast beforehand.  In contrast, I have made a 1.050 Cream ale with S-05 dry yeast (rehydrated correctly) that took nearly 10 days to finish!

I'm sold on the use of properly prepared liquid yeast for the best beer I can possibly make...

(not that it is the MOST important thing, because I would put full boil/ temp control at the top)
View Quote

Healthy yeast is a beast! Good oxygenation is also really important for this kind of result. I got a lot more blow-off when I started adding pure O2.
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Primary - Dunkle Rye Son from AIH

Secondary - Imperial IPA

Bottled - APA, double speedball stout
Link Posted: 3/5/2014 9:46:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

http://i.imgur.com/REhoQwU.gif
View Quote

How did you get that fermenting so well?
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 10:00:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Primary but about to go to secondary: Peach Cream Ale

Primary: American Cherry Light Ale

Just Bottled: Orange Wheat Ale & Hefeweizen
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 10:47:22 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A 1 liter yeast starter.  After that brew I am a fan of starters. I am brewing a Wheat IPA today, and I made a 1 liter starter out of US-05!
Can't wait to see if it makes a difference, because normally I only get a 2"-3" krausen and that is it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2014 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Rye Saison from a brew day last week.  Just checked the gravity, 1.02ish,  not done yet.  

6lb pale 2-row
6lb malted rye
1 oz mystery hops from a local grower split @60, 30mins

125F for 30mins
148 for 60mins

ferment with Wyeast 3724 as hot as my plant germinator heater will get.

Will have the dregs of 2 Orval bottles added at bottling.  A good beer for a hot July evening barbeque!

Link Posted: 3/20/2014 10:33:05 PM EDT
[#28]
Today I kegged an American style ale and brewed a Abita Turbodog clone and an Shiner Bock clone.  Two in the fermenter is almost as good as one under pressure.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 12:10:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I've got a batch of Caribou Slobber bottle conditioning right now and a slightly hoppy Red Ale in primary.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 12:27:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Still screwing around with Mr. Beer and reading Sniper_Wolfe's book.

Brewed a "St. Patric's Irish Stout" extract beer a few weeks ago, have since bottled. Hot damn it actually tasted good out of the fermenter! Reasonably resembling something I'd actually pay money to drink.

If it tastes that good in the bottles, I'll be pleased!

If its good I plan to brew another before the ambient temps get too high, and put it in glass bottles (grandpa gave me an antique bottle capper that I want to try.)

Link Posted: 3/23/2014 5:53:46 PM EDT
[#31]
Fermentors are empty. Getting ready to plan my Oktoberfest brew in the next couple of weeks.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Fermentors are empty. Getting ready to plan my Oktoberfest brew in the next couple of weeks.

View Quote

That's pretty early. You planning a big belgian or something?

Not that I couldnt drink october style beers year round.

ETA: I am in the same sad state of affairs.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 11:54:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Just bottled my second batch,  American Pale Wheat.

Think we ordered up a Saison for our third batch.

Already looking at kegs, bottling is a pita.

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 12:50:38 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I am doing a full blown, real deal Marzen, hence why I need to start before the end of March.

BUT, I'm busy, so it might be more of a April

Link Posted: 3/24/2014 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yes, I am doing a full blown, real deal Marzen, hence why I need to start before the end of March.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent!! I need to do one of those.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Primary: Irish Red Ale
Primary: American Pale Ale

Secondary: Scottish Ale

This weekend I am brewing a blond ale and then bottling the Irish and the Scottish

Next Weekend I am brewing a California Common

Bottled: Imperial IPA, Speedball Stout, and Fat Tire Amber Clone.
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#37]
on Sunday, just did 5 gallons of Cranberry Mead.
Happily bubbling away right now
Link Posted: 3/26/2014 3:49:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Doing a Chocolate / Peanut butter stout this weekend and putting 2oz of oak cubes in Port wine to soak for my Kate the Great clone.
Link Posted: 3/27/2014 9:06:06 PM EDT
[#39]
I have a semi- corona clone in there. from MidwestSupplies.

Munton's Cerveza, 2 pounds Light DME, Hallertau Hops and US-05 dry yeast. FG was 1.04X. After exactly 2 weeks it was down to 1.008 but still very hazy, so I'm going to leave it in the secondary for a week or so to clean up.

I just finished NB's Cream Ale, which already tastes great...Next is NB's American Wheat
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 12:40:47 AM EDT
[#40]
I'll be racking my Red ale to secondary on saturday.
I've come to the conclusion that i need to replace my fermenting buckets with carboys, I want to see whats going on in there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

A 1 liter yeast starter.  After that brew I am a fan of starters. I am brewing a Wheat IPA today, and I made a 1 liter starter out of US-05!
Can't wait to see if it makes a difference, because normally I only get a 2"-3" krausen and that is it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use liter starters as well, but they don't ferment like that. I do use buckets for primaries though, so it is hard to tell.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 9:08:04 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I've come to the conclusion that i need to replace my fermenting buckets with carboys, I want to see whats going on in there.
View Quote

I feel the same way. I am thinking about getting a better bottle and see how that goes.
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 9:10:53 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I feel the same way. I am thinking about getting a better bottle and see how that goes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've got some better bottles that i use for secondary and i love em.
Next brew I think ill use one as a primary
Link Posted: 3/28/2014 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buckets are fine, but I am like you and want to have a visual on what is going on.
Link Posted: 3/30/2014 10:53:51 PM EDT
[#45]
Racked a BB Weizen from the primary to the secondary yesterday.  

First attempt at brewing

already looking to start the next batch

thinking a dunkelweizen or weizenbock

Link Posted: 3/31/2014 12:08:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Hop Head Double IPA started yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/4/2014 8:46:30 PM EDT
[#47]
My 1st brew!
5.5 gals of a Brown Porter going now.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 3:49:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Hop Head Double IPA started yesterday.
View Quote

That's going to be my next batch. Can't wait. I've got a west coast style IPA in the primary right now.
It'll be in he secondary next week.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#49]
This came out of the fermenter and went into the keg yesterday.  Light American Lager.  2 row + 6 row,+ corn, + rice.  1oz. Mittlefreuh hops FWH.

As you can tell, I took a drink out of it between pics.

Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:00:13 PM EDT
[#50]
Blue Moon clone and a couple kit wines.
Page / 21
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top