BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 2:11:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Added new entries (some long overdue):

DIY - Do It Yourself
FYI - For Your Information
LW or L-W - Leitner-Wise (manufacturer of weapons based on the AR-15 platform, including .499 and gas-piston variants - website)
MARS - Multipurpose Aiming Reflex Sight (an Israeli sight that combines a reflex red-dot sight with a laser (visible or IR) aiming light - website)
XCR - eXchangeable Caliber Rifle* (Robinson Armament's modular battle rifle, originally intended as a SCAR contender)

Also fixed some out-of-date links.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 2:14:53 AM EDT
[#2]
What does BUMP stand for?  I have seen some members use that acronym before...

i.e. BUMP fire their pistol...

Semper Fi!
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 11:39:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zrxc77] [#3]
It isn't an acronym.  It is the actual word "bump".

I can think of two different ways "bump" is used here.  One is to "bump" a thread.  That means to post in a thread that hasn't had any activity for a while in order to bring it back to the top of the listing of threads.

The other usage is "bump fire", which sounds like what you are asking about.  Bump firing is a method of rapidly cycling the trigger of a semi-automatic firearm so that it simulates fully automatic fire.  The technique involves holding the firearm loosely so that the recoil bumps your finger against the trigger with every shot in order to trigger the next shot.  Hence, "bump" firing.

As you might imagine, it typically isn't very accurate and is not recommended for when you really need a firearm.  It is something some people like to do just for fun.  Many ranges prohibit it because it can be wildly inaccurate and because it may give the impression that you have an illegal machine gun.  I've personally not done it and probably never will.

Here is one site where you can view videos of bump firing.
Link Posted: 7/15/2005 11:46:00 AM EDT
[#4]
w00t!  AWOB is on the list!
Link Posted: 7/20/2005 12:24:48 AM EDT
[#5]
WAG - Wild Ass Guess
Link Posted: 7/21/2005 11:42:20 AM EDT
[#6]
WOT "War on Terror"
Link Posted: 7/22/2005 7:11:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheMocoMan] [#7]
TMA - Too Many Acronyms
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 6:08:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UH_SALT_RIFLE] [#8]
Ok Im a newbie and I feel dumb enough as it is but what exactly is "TITS UP" mean?? Please forgive me if this is stupid.

Never mind I figured it out, thought it ment more than just broken.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 9:34:39 PM EDT
[#9]
I think it actually means "dead" more than just "broken", although in common usage with respect to inanimate objects the two are mostly equivalent since "dead" = broken for inanimate objects.

The phrase comes from a typical position of a dead person - flat on the back with, well, tits up.  You may also see it abbreviated as TU or Tango Uniform.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 1:03:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah I had to do more searching cause I had never heard that expression, I found on one site where it had something to do with aviation gauges that when broken it would turn upside down as to not confuse the pilot and the guage normally looked like a VV and when not working looked like "tits up". It was definately interesting research!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 3:01:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zrxc77] [#11]
I hadn't heard that one, but yes it is interesting.

ETA:  Did they show a picture of the guage?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:35:53 PM EDT
[#12]
BRASSF (thanks to oneshot1kill):

B Breathe Keep a slow steady pace, inhale and exhale in a relaxed manner.

R Relax. Relax your muscles, your body and mind. Tense muscles create vibration and shakes.

A Aim. This includes ALL of the following principles. Sight Alignment (SA), Sight Picture(SP), Natural Point Of Aim, Cheek Weld to the stock, Eye Relief, Shoulder Pocket, High firm pistol grip, Tight sling(if used), and open relaxed front palm under handguards.

S Stop. Stop breathing (during an exhale). Stopping is Not the same thing as holding your breath. If you don't shoot in 2-3 seconds then you resume breathing and regain your SA, SP

S Squeeze. Squeeze - don't jerk - the trigger evenly and straight to the rear. By squeezing you avoid jerking a shot and throwing off your POI(point of impact).
You should never anticipate the round being fired.

F Follow Through. When following through - with your shot -  trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. Allow the weapon do it's thing on recoil. Keep your eye on the front sight post until it sets back on your target. A well placed shot doesn't end when you squeeze the trigger.

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:51:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Razoreye] [#13]
MSRP = Manufacture's Suggested Retail Price
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:38:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks so much for getting this back up. Maybe one of these days I'll just print it out, but that would make too much sense.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:53:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zrxc77] [#15]
Thanks guys.

Added a few more:

BFA - Blank Firing Adapter
LAR - L.A.R. Manufacturing (www.largrizzly.com/)
MSRP - Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price
OICW - Objective Individual Combat Weapon (possible M16 replacement weapon system that can fire both normal bullets and airburst fragmenting munitions.  The XM8 is based on the normal bullet firing component an early OICW entry. Overview)
XM8 - Designation of a modular weapon system that may replace the M16 family of rifles.  Adoption of the XM8 is uncertain. (brochure, overview)

Okay, so maybe my definition for LAR isn't the greatest.  But at least it lets you know they are a manufacturer and gives you a link for more information.  And yes, OICW and XM8 are a bit late.

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:31:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By markm:
w00t!  AWOB is on the list!

But wOOt isn't
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:45:30 PM EDT
[#17]
CCO - Close Combat Optic (an optic designed for close range use, typically low power, parallax free and with long eye relief.  The Aimpoint M68 is an example.)
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:28:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By LeatherneckOIF2:

Originally Posted By TheMocoMan:
Bushmaster likes to be cute with the senences they choose for S.P.O.R.T.S.

S.lap on the bottom of the magazine
P.ull the charging handle
O.bserve the chamber for ejection round
R.elease the charging handle
T.ap the forward assist
S.queeze the trigger again

It's a Bushmaster thing.  

I'm confused here, is this supposed to be immediate action?
How 'bout Tap, Rack, Bang.

Yes, it is one version of immediate action drill.  I think it is an older version, and some now advocate the Tap, Rack, Bang as you listed.  I don't have TRB in the list, but do have a longer-winded version of it (I think):

TPRRRS - Tap, Pull, Rack, Roll, Release, Shoot (an alternative to the traditional SPORTS IAD, described here)

I guess I should add the simpler TRB as well.

TheMocoMan:  I wasn't attacking or criticizing you.  I simply honestly didn't understand what issue you saw with Bushmaster's variant.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:50:44 AM EDT
[#19]
random observations;
-WECSOG actually ends with Gunsmithin', and most commonly involves a Dremel tool
- you have FNMI, but not just FN
- you have FCG, but not HTS, even though they are in the FCG description
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:10:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:07:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Can we move this to the GD and tack it over there?  It is useful for some of us and the noobs, I would rather not see it go to the land of nothingness!
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:11:44 AM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By zrxc77:
Well, this is rather pointless now.   I tried to contribute to the site, but apparently my contribution was unwanted.  So be it.

NO!!!!

Shit I just went here to find out something again.... and it was fucking gone!!  I can't blame you though, I would be pissed too.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 8:30:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brushdog] [#23]

Well, this is rather pointless now.   I tried to contribute to the site, but apparently my contribution was unwanted.  So be it.

I could be wrong, but I believe it was untacked to free up space, not because it was unwanted. Some of the forums were bit of a pain to read using ARFcom Lite because of all the tacked threads.  This thread has been linked to in the THE IMPORTANT THREADS AND INFO thread.  Can you repost the acronym list?  
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:00:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Yeah Half the AR forums are tacked treads untill they untacked alot.

As for you taking it as something offensive to you

Whatever,But thank for posting in the first place It has helped me more than once.
And I hope you have the list saved somewhere so that you can repost it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:32:27 PM EDT
[#25]

Um okay, your thread had been added to the important threads tacked thread, but I guess you missed that.

No one said it wasnt important, there were just to many tacked threads.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:39:37 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By Dace:

Um okay, your thread had been added to the important threads tacked thread, but I guess you missed that.

I see you made this suggestion too.

I started a tread in the suggestion forum a month or two about the same thing but It was ignored.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 9:46:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By JBowles:

I see you made this suggestion too.

I started a tread in the suggestion forum a month or two about the same thing but It was ignored.

Maybe they were talking about it for a while in their forum, the mods that is, I doubt they do something this substantial without talking about it.  They even said it was suggested before and they were tyring to do it.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 1:19:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edwin247] [#28]
I just ran to look for an Acronym, and this is what I found.....

That is messed up......

Did your feelings get hurt that bad???  What a f-ing titty baby.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:03:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brushdog] [#29]

SNIP

Check here for now, until the list gets reposted:  
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=262380
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#30]
This compendium is very useful.....hate to see it disappear and heartily hope that the "new thread" containing the content gets "re-linked" in the Important Threads topic.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:55:22 PM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By brushdog:
Some of the forums were bit of a pain to read using ARFcom Lite because of all the tacked threads.  This thread has been linked to in the THE IMPORTANT THREADS AND INFO thread.  Can you repost the acronym list?  

I did not know it was linked in the other tacked thread.  This isn't the first time that the mods have simply shit-canned this thread (that is how the previous version you were able to retrieve ended up in the archive server), so when I logged in and it was gone I assumed that the mods had just done it again.  And after a couple of rounds of the mods dumping this thread, I figured it wasn't worth wasting my time maintaining it anymore.  If the mods don't support this thread, it doesn't have nearly the value that it could.

The primary (although not only) audience for this thread consists of novices to the site and to AR-15s in general.  These are the people who are most likely to be overwhelmed by all the acronyms and abbreviations and need a ready reference.  Unfortunately, they are also the people who are least likely to know that this thread even exists, let alone be able find it after it has been buried deep in the forum or, even worse, been transferred to the archive server.  Without a readily accessible link of some sort, this thread fails its primary purpose:  helping novices.  Hence, my statement that this thread "is rather pointless now."

However, now that you have informed me that the thread is at least linked in the "Important Threads and Info" thread, I guess there is a small chance that it could still have some useful life left in it and, as per your request, I will repost the latest version, complete with formatting and hyperlinks.  

Unfortunately, I still believe that this thread has been essentially gutted and predict that it will eventually die off and be lost to the archive server.  The "Important Threads and Info" thread is completely disorganized and filled with dead links to threads that have suffered a similar fate.  I suspect few novices will bother persisting past the first several out-dated posts and dead links to find the links that do work.

Perhaps if the mods put more effort into organizing and maintaining the "Important Threads and Info" thread it would be able to solve both the problem of making essential information readily available while at the same time preventing excessive proliferation of tacked threads.  However, past history predicts that they will not.  See for yourself all the dead links in the "Important Threads and Info" thread in this forum and, even more dramatically, in the "Optics FAQ Threads" in the optics forum.

I wasn't offended.  I just felt it made the thread pointless as I originally posted and as I explained in greater detail above.

That is correct.  I did not know that.  See above.

Maybe they were talking about it for a while in their forum, the mods that is, I doubt they do something this substantial without talking about it.  They even said it was suggested before and they were tyring to do it.

I can't say whether or not they discussed it among themselves, but I can state that no mod, to this day, notified me.  As a result, as you can read above, I thought they had just shit-canned the thread like they did before and didn't find out otherwise until brushdog, and later you, told me.

Originally Posted By edwin247:

That is messed up......

Do you appreciate the irony of you posting here to whine that the acronym list is gone and then calling me a baby?  No one is stopping you from making a useful contribution to this site and creating your own list of acronyms.  Heck, even a "fucking titty baby" like me can do it.  Why can't you?  You may want to start your list with COC.

Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:07:21 AM EDT
[#32]
THANKS!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 12:21:15 AM EDT
[#33]

Some of the forums were bit of a pain to read using ARFcom Lite because of all the tacked threads.  This thread has been linked to in the THE IMPORTANT THREADS AND INFO thread.  Can you repost the acronym list?  

I did not know it was linked in the other tacked thread.  This isn't the first time that the mods have simply shit-canned this thread (that is how the previous version you were able to retrieve ended up in the archive server), so when I logged in and it was gone I assumed that the mods had just done it again.  And after a couple of rounds of the mods dumping this thread, I figured it wasn't worth wasting my time maintaining it anymore.  If the mods don't support this thread, it doesn't have nearly the value that it could.

The primary (although not only) audience for this thread consists of novices to the site and to AR-15s in general.  These are the people who are most likely to be overwhelmed by all the acronyms and abbreviations and need a ready reference.  Unfortunately, they are also the people who are least likely to know that this thread even exists, let alone be able find it after it has been buried deep in the forum or, even worse, been transferred to the archive server.  Without a readily accessible link of some sort, this thread fails its primary purpose:  helping novices.  Hence, my statement that this thread "is rather pointless now."

However, now that you have informed me that the thread is at least linked in the "Important Threads and Info" thread, I guess there is a small chance that it could still have some useful life left in it and, as per your request, I will repost the latest version, complete with formatting and hyperlinks.  

Unfortunately, I still believe that this thread has been essentially gutted and predict that it will eventually die off and be lost to the archive server.  The "Important Threads and Info" thread is completely disorganized and filled with dead links to threads that have suffered a similar fate.  I suspect few novices will bother persisting past the first several out-dated posts and dead links to find the links that do work.

Perhaps if the mods put more effort into organizing and maintaining the "Important Threads and Info" thread it would be able to solve both the problem of making essential information readily available while at the same time preventing excessive proliferation of tacked threads.  However, past history predicts that they will not.  See for yourself all the dead links in the "Important Threads and Info" thread in this forum and, even more dramatically, in the "Optics FAQ Threads" in the optics forum.

I wasn't offended.  I just felt it made the thread pointless as I originally posted and as I explained in greater detail above.

That is correct.  I did not know that.  See above.

I can't say whether or not they discussed it among themselves, but I can state that no mod, to this day, notified me.  As a result, as you can read above, I thought they had just shit-canned the thread like they did before and didn't find out otherwise until brushdog, and later you, told me.

That is messed up......

Do you appreciate the irony of you posting here to whine that the acronym list is gone and then calling me a baby?  No one is stopping you from making a useful contribution to this site and creating your own list of acronyms.  Heck, even a "fucking titty baby" like me can do it.  Why can't you?  You may want to start your list with COC.

Or you could get really creative and submit all your acronym definitions to Wikipedia, then they would live on forever.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 9:18:23 AM EDT
[#34]

That is messed up......

Since I am still a Noob, my useful posts are pretty limited as I am still learning.  Also since I am still a noob, I refered to the Acronym thread as a reference and for the links.  What I didn't do is remove any of my posts when when my feelings were hurt.

I am currently working on a project AR that will be very useful to several ar15.comers, and I will post my project as soon as I finish it.  My barrel should be in at the end of January, and a month later it should be complete (hopefully).

Hopefully no one will say anything bad about my project because I would hate to delete it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#35]
TTT to keep out of the archives.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:28:53 AM EDT
[#36]
IBTHQ
In Before The Heat Question

C'mon, you know you wanna!
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:29:05 PM EDT
[#37]
NICS.....National Instant Criminal Background Check System......don't ask me how it's not :

NICBCS, but it's not.

Just a suggestion.

Sean
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:31:33 AM EDT
[#38]
FUMTU = Fuxxored-Up More Than Usual
FUBAR = Fuxxored-Up Beyond All Repair (Recognition)
FIDO = F*ck It Drive On
IHTFP = I Hate This F*ckin' Place
FIGMO = F*ck It, Got My Orders

$64K Question:  What do the above acronyms have in common?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:59:33 AM EDT
[#39]
this post is a noobs dream!!!!!!!!

THANKS!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:38:30 PM EDT
[#40]
I am not a noob and I can't quite figure this Kool-Aid %(*^&%^$%!!!!!!!!!!
Somebody enlighten me or just call me a Dumba$$.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:47:59 PM EDT
[#41]
What do you mean by you "can't quite figure this Kool-Aid"?   Do you mean that you don't know what it means when someone refers to "Kool-Aid", or do you mean that this list of acronyms and/or ar15.com is Kool-Aid?

If you mean the former, a "Kool-Aid drinker" is someone who doesn't think for himself but instead clings, with cult-like zeal, to the opinions or beliefs of some group or person he considers to be an omniscient authority.  By implication, those opinions or beliefs are wrong.  

The term is used in a derogatory sense.  For example, if Joe tells Bob to "keep drinking that Kool-Aid", Joe is implying that Bob is stubbornly and foolishly clinging to inaccurate information because Bob won't think for himself and see the truth (where "the truth", naturally, is Joe's opinion...).

In a more concrete example, if Joe calls Bob a "Colt Kool-Aid drinker", Joe is implying that Bob is stupidly ascribing to some Colt fans' belief that only Colt makes quality AR-15 rifles and that all other manufacturers make shoddy knock-offs.  In this case Bob apparently thinks other manufacturers also make good rifles.  (Note that I am not expressing a personal opinion one way or the other regarding the Colt controversy here - I am just explaining a common usage of the term.)

I believe that the origin of the term is the Jonestown massacre where the cult leader Jim Jones led more then 900 cult members to commit suicide by having them drink cyanide spiked purple Kool-Aid.  For what it is worth, according to some reports, the poisoned drink was actually grape Flavor-Aid.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:49:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zrxc77] [#42]
Sorry, double-tap.  

What the heck?  The aborted post lingered for almost two minutes after I hit "submit" and still went through eventually?  GoatBoy must have left the cage door open and the squirrels escaped...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:20:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: brushdog] [#43]
Where is AR15 on the AR15.com acronym list?  

Automatic rifle, or Armalite Rifle?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:38:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zrxc77] [#44]

Where is AR15 on the AR15.com acronym list?  

Automatic rifle, or Armalite Rifle?

My initial reaction to your question was "Oh no!  You won't catch me in that trap!"   I've seen too many people fighting over that one.  But, after a little research, I will take a stab at it:  the answer is neither.

Each of the following are ArmaLite products that were assigned the "AR-" nomenclature, but none of them are automatic, and several of them aren't rifles.

ArmaLite AR-1 (bolt-action in various calibers, including 7.62 NATO)

ArmaLite AR-5 (bolt-action, four-shot .22 Hornet survival rifle)

ArmaLite AR-7 (semi-auto, eight-shot .22 LR survival rifle)

ArmaLite AR-9 (no picture, but it is said to have been a 12 gauge self-loading shotgun with aluminum barrel and receiver)

ArmaLite AR-17 (semi-auto 12-gauge shotgun with aluminum receiver and barrel, platic wood-grain stock)

ArmaLite AR-22 (blank firing device for the Mk 19 Mod 4 40 mm grenade machine-gun)

Thus, AR clearly can't be short for either Automatic Rifle or ArmaLite Rifle, because the above examples all fail either the "Automatic" part or the "Rifle" part.  So what's left?   On the best authority I have, it simply stands for ArmaLite:

That's all.  It isn't really even an acronym, although I suppose it qualifies as an abbreviation, so I suppose I should add it to the list.

By the way, the numeric portion of AR-15 is just an ordinal that indicates the sequence of design.  The AR-1 came before the AR-5, etc.
Link Posted: 10/12/2005 9:34:14 AM EDT
[#45]
SSDG.  space shuttle door gunner.
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 8:59:25 PM EDT
[#46]
tag, cause I'm usually lost.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#47]
tag for learnin!
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 12:30:00 PM EDT
[#48]
What is a dissy?
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By LeatherneckOIF2:
What is a dissy?

It is short for "Dissipator".  A Dissipator is a 16" carbine that uses rifle-length handguards:

(see Bushmaster's XM15 E2S Dissipator)

The front sight base you see in the picture is only a sight.  The actual gas block is a shaved, low-profile unit located under the handguards in the normal position for a 16" carbine:

I think the primary advantage of a Dissipator is that you have a rifle-length sight radius and handguards on a carbine length firearm.  However, I believe at one point Bushmaster also claimed that this setup gives better heat dissipation (hence the name).  I don't see how that would be the case, but I may well be wrong.
Link Posted: 11/16/2005 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#50]
How about DUPE?
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top