Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2017 11:45:25 AM EDT
A stupid Sci-Fi question for people smarter than me.

You have an archer in Zero G and have an bow with arrow nocked.  The archer releases.  What happens to the archer.  Does he stay somewhat static?  Does the release of the bow's energy push him in any specific direction?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:51:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

You have an archer in Zero G and have an bow with arrow nocked.  The archer releases.  What happens to the archer.  Does he stay somewhat static?  Does the release of the bow's energy push him in any specific direction?
View Quote

He would move slowly off in the direction 180 degrees from the arrow.

Whenever you accelerate mass in one direction, you go in the other direction.

He would go slowly because he is much more massive than the arrow, hence he would accelerate to a much lower velocity.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Equal and opposite. The archer will drift backwards, likely tumbling unless the arrow was aligned with his center of mass.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 11:57:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

He would go slowly because he is much more massive than the arrow, hence he would accelerate to a much lower velocity.
View Quote
Though interestingly the arrow would likely MISS the target, because there wouldn't be a parabolic effect on the arrow. IE it would hit high or completely miss.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote
Assuming static/dynamic friction was the only thing 'holding' archer to the surface 'under' his feet.
Also assuming archer loosed the arrow in a direction other than 180* away from the surface archer was standing on.
Ignoring elastic/inelastic properties if all materials involved.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:03:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Assuming static/dynamic friction was the only thing 'holding' archer to the surface 'under' his feet.
Also assuming archer loosed the arrow in a direction other than 180* away from the surface archer was standing on.
View Quote
It seems you're also assuming a surface.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:37:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

It seems you're also assuming a surface.
View Quote
Damn.
Missed that one.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#7]
But what if the archer was standing on a treadmill?
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 1:31:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
But what if the archer was standing on a treadmill?
View Quote
How does one "stand" when there is no up or down?  or gravity?

Answer: Bungee Run!

Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:27:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
OP said only that the archer was in zero G, not one frigging word about "standing" or "surface".

Nice try to demonstrate your erudition.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm more interested in how the arrow will perform without the friction of a gas helping it stay stabilized.
View Quote
OP said nothing about presence or absence of a "gas".

OP simply specified "zero gravity".
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm more interested in how the arrow will perform without the friction of a gas helping it stay stabilized.
View Quote
Why are you assuming there is no gas?  he said zero gravity, he didn't say "in outer space"
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Why are you assuming there is no gas?  he said zero gravity, he didn't say "in outer space"
View Quote
OOPS! I missed that.

You're right.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 9:36:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Edit to add:

Let's assume outer space.  I'm reading the Expanse books which brought this question to mind.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:14:22 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Edit to add:

Let's assume outer space.  I'm reading the Expanse books which brought this question to mind.
View Quote
Well then the arrow will tumble because there is no air to stabilize it.
But that also means that it won't have drag to slow it down as it tumbles.

Unless of course your nock is on a swivel and you find a way to spin-stabilize the arrow before firing.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:20:50 AM EDT
[#16]
If right handed, the archer would drift forwards and start spinning left.
Unlike a firearms recoil, the stored energy is in the string, which flies forwards.  Arrow gets released from nock when the bow string stops it's forward movement due to tension from the bow.  That forward energy is also what would pull the archer forwards.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:25:36 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If right handed, the archer would drift forwards and start spinning left.
Unlike a firearms recoil, the stored energy is in the string, which flies forwards.  Arrow gets released from nock when the bow string stops it's forward movement due to tension from the bow.  That forward energy is also what would pull the archer forwards.
View Quote
You are overthinking it, and doing a terrible job of it.  The bow string, and the limbs, will undulate forward and backward until they are damped out depending on the bow's components, and won't have any real effect on the archer's motion.

You are saying that the archer will move in the same direction as the arrow he fired.  Chew on that for a minute.

Ignore the shirtless man.  About a minute in he switches to a longbow, which you can see is extending and compressing his wrist as the string undulates, but the overall sum of all of that motion will be equal and opposite to the arrow leaving the bow.  F=M*A.  You can't accelerate the arrow in one direction without accelerating the archer in the opposite direction.
slow motion bow & arrow, archers paradox
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
You can't accelerate the arrow in one direction without accelerating the archer in the opposite direction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfyzL9C-8WY
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:00:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

You are overthinking it, and doing a terrible job of it.  
View Quote
Then I may as well continue, so you guys can show me error of my ways.

Upon release, the string and limbs ondulate forward at 100 energy, but due to absorbtion by the limbs, wouldn't the rearward bounce be reduced, so like 100 forward, 90 rearward, 80 forward, 70 rearward, etc?  Wouldn't that still mean that the forward energy is greater than the rearward?

Are there any vids on a freestanding bow getting shot, to show which way the bow falls?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 9:26:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Upon release, the string and limbs ondulate forward at 100 energy, but due to absorbtion by the limbs, wouldn't the rearward bounce be reduced, so like 100 forward, 90 rearward, 80 forward, 70 rearward, etc?  Wouldn't that still mean that the forward energy is greater than the rearward?
Are there any vids on a freestanding bow getting shot, to show which way the bow falls?
View Quote
I think I see where you are coming from, but you're ignoring the only stroke of the string that really matters for the equation, the one that is accelerating the arrow forwards, the duration of which is much longer than the string's free vibration.
A force over a length of time is an impulse, and the impulse applied to the arrow is also applied to the archer.

If an archer fired an arrow with his bow hand open (and not other support), yes the bow would fall forwards out of his hand, but before that happened, it was being pushed back into his hand by the reactionary force from accelerating the arrow.  Without the archer's hand, the bow would fly backwards.
You don't notice the wrist compression during firing in high speed videos because the arm is already fully compressed under the draw weight.

Have you ever fired a crossbow? Crossbows have recoil just like a firearm, and that's just a bow with a stock.

Barrnet crossbow : Bcx recoil
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
You are accelerating mass ........ the arrow.

Accelerating that mass, "pushing against it" (or its inertia) if you will, causes an equal and opposite reaction.

All that other shit is irrelevant to the original question.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:34:59 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:Have you ever fired a crossbow? Crossbows have recoil just like a firearm, and that's just a bow with a stock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM35GDq4CgA
View Quote
Aah, very interesting.  Thanks for the vid.  And yes, I expected the xbow to shove forward.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:37:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Typical GD.

1. Guy asks question.

2. Guy gets answers to question.

3. At least half of answers are pure horseshit, or just plain wrong.

4. Poor guy who asked question still does not know the correct answer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:54:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Typical GD.

1. Guy asks question.

2. Guy gets answers to question.

3. At least half of answers are pure horseshit, or just plain wrong.

4. Poor guy who asked question still does not know the correct answer.
View Quote
The correct answer is in there somewhere, although it may be buried in the noise.

If the archer is not anchored to anything, i.e. he is floating, then conservation of momentum dictates that he will have an overall movement opposite to the direction of the arrow (his momentum will be equal to, and opposite, that of the arrow).  This will be relatively slow, as momentum is mass x velocity, and the archer's mass is probably a thousand times that of the arrow, resulting in the archer's velocity being one one-thousandth of the arrow's.  The archer may spin or tumble as well, depending on the angle the bow was held with respect to the body and where the reverse path of the arrow points with respect to the archer's center of mass.

Mike
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:57:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The correct answer is in there somewhere, although it may be buried in the noise...
View Quote
Everything you said was covered in the first two replies
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The correct answer is in there somewhere, although it may be buried in the noise.

If the archer is not anchored to anything, i.e. he is floating, then conservation of momentum dictates that he will have an overall movement opposite to the direction of the arrow (his momentum will be equal to, and opposite, that of the arrow).  This will be relatively slow, as momentum is mass x velocity, and the archer's mass is probably a thousand times that of the arrow, resulting in the archer's velocity being one one-thousandth of the arrow's.  The archer may spin or tumble as well, depending on the angle the bow was held with respect to the body and where the reverse path of the arrow points with respect to the archer's center of mass.

Mike
View Quote
Bingo!
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 4:20:34 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

OP said only that the archer was in zero G, not one frigging word about "standing" or "surface".

Nice try to demonstrate your erudition.
View Quote
OK.
I accept that.
Assumptions can be ill advised or lead to false shortcuts.

You assumed archer had much greater mass than the arrow.

If the arrow has greater mass than you assumed - archer wouldn't be be constrained to move more slowly than the arrow.
If they had the same mass they would move apart at equal speeds.
I'm not going to posit that the arrow might be more massive,  and the implications that would have on the velocity of archer.

Assumptions are convenient, and don't fit all situations.

Can we still be friends?
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Can we still be friends?
View Quote
Sure.

What the hell ........ it's GD and we should all be here in the spirit of friendship, camaraderie, and all that sort of thing.

When it's no longer fun it's time to step away.

I will add as a parting shot, that most archers are quite a bit more massive than their arrows.

It works out better that way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 8:38:46 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think they type of bow needs to be taken into account.

A limb bow will do as you say as would most older bows but the new compound bows with parallel limbs may not.  

Think limbs impart their energy perpendicular to the arrow flight.  The design is such that the recoil of the bow is not back toward the shooter.  

There is still the equal/opposite thing going on but the recoil is redirected and absorbed by the bow.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:15:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I think they type of bow needs to be taken into account.

A limb bow will do as you say as would most older bows but the new compound bows with parallel limbs may not.  

Think limbs impart their energy perpendicular to the arrow flight.  The design is such that the recoil of the bow is not back toward the shooter.  

There is still the equal/opposite thing going on but the recoil is redirected and absorbed by the bow.
View Quote
The archer will still travel in the opposite direction of the arrow, maybe to a lesser extent with a parallel limb bow.
He is still accelerating mass (arrow) in one direction so he will travel in the opposite direction.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:12:25 AM EDT
[#31]
The type of bow doesn't matter at all.  Conservation of momentum means that the shooter (including the bow in his hand) and the arrow will have the same magnitude but opposite directions of momentum.  How the bow is shaped or what movement it makes is irrelevant, because it is part of the "momentum package" that is the shooter, so long as he doesn't drop it.

Mike
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:14:18 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
so long as he doesn't drop it.
Mike
View Quote
Is that another assumption?
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:23:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I asked my son, a competitive archer.  He seemed to think the bow would actually travel forward with the recoil.

I still think the design does matter.  Any design that cancels out the recoil is absorbing the energy opposite of the arrow flight.  A long bow absorbs pretty much nothing so I don't don't doubt the assumption that the archer would b pushed back when using one of that design.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:54:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I asked my son, a competitive archer.  He seemed to think the bow would actually travel forward with the recoil.

I still think the design does matter.  Any design that cancels out the recoil is absorbing the energy opposite of the arrow flight.  A long bow absorbs pretty much nothing so I don't don't doubt the assumption that the archer would b pushed back when using one of that design.
View Quote
The long bow might put more impulse into your hand upon firing, but unless you let go of it, it's also going to pull your grip forward a smaller amount at the end of it's stroke due to the inertia of the limbs.
A parallel limb bow will put less impulse into your hand, but it will also not "snatch" forward at the end of the stroke as much.

A caveat to this comparison is energy lost to friction and dampened vibration (sound, heat, ect).

Regardless, if the arrow leaves at the same velocity, the archer will travel at the same relative velocity, independent of bow design.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 1:25:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Sounds like an interesting discussion point for a Star Talk Radio podcast.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:01:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nope.

It does not matter HOW the mass of the arrow leaves.

The momentum of the system must sum to zero (or at least a constant) at all times.

The arrow is going one way and the archer is going in the opposite direction so the momentum of the two sums to zero.

Since the bow is not exerting force on the archer at their center of mass their will be both translation and rotation of the archer.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 7:13:01 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Though interestingly the arrow would likely MISS the target, because there wouldn't be a parabolic effect on the arrow. IE it would hit high or completely miss.
View Quote
If you want to hit your target, you can't be an Archer. You have to be  a Straighter.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Even standing on a surface, without gravity, there would be no frictional force to hold the archer.

However, your idea of firing at an angle to that surface is a good one.

I think RDTCU's idea of being tumbled is a good contribution, too.

My insignificant contribution - the archer will start to move as soon as he attempts to draw back the bow, not just upon release.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:06:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Even standing on a surface, without gravity, there would be no frictional force to hold the archer.

However, your idea of firing at an angle to that surface is a good one.

I think RDTCU's idea of being tumbled is a good contribution, too.

My insignificant contribution - the archer will start to move as soon as he attempts to draw back the bow, not just upon release.
View Quote
Nope.

The drawing of the arrow is internal forces in the system.

Until there is a change in the momentum of the system (the arrow leaving at non zero velocity) no movement.

He could exert force to bend the arrow with both hands and would not move either.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:02:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Nope.

The drawing of the arrow is internal forces in the system.

Until there is a change in the momentum of the system (the arrow leaving at non zero velocity) no movement.

He could exert force to bend the arrow with both hands and would not move either.
View Quote
As the arrow is drawn to the rear, the archer's body has to move in order to keep the momentum and center of mass stationary.  Basically, as mass is moved, there has to be some counter-move.  The movements may be small but they will not be zero, as the archer has a lot more mass than the arrow.  Of course, to draw the arrow back, his arm has to move back.  His arm is not insignificant in mass.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:08:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Mike
View Quote
Yep, on both counts.  Nothing can be moved without some else moving to compensate for that motion. 

Some crazy British guy said this, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction." 

To focus on the release of the arrow and not consider the drawing of the bow is an error. 
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

To focus on the release of the arrow and not consider the drawing of the bow is an error. 
View Quote
The center of mass of the system (archer + bow + arrow) does not shift while the bow is drawn, since there is no external force on that system.  There is also no net velocity on the part of either the arrow or the archer, as once the pull is complete they are at rest with respect to each other and the combined center of mass.  The "shape" of the entire body has changed slightly, but the momentum of the whole and each part is unchanged.  

The only observable change in movement after drawing the bow might be spin rate, and then only if there was a non-zero spin in the first place.  Angular momentum would still be conserved, but moving the bow and archer apart would likely change the moment of inertial of the system (like the classical example of the spinning ice skater pulling in her outstretched arms to increase her spin rate).

Mike
Link Posted: 12/19/2017 12:21:07 AM EDT
[#43]
nm....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top