Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2016 7:39:52 PM EDT
I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to "get back into" math. Since I've been out of school for over a decade, and my line of work hasn't required it, I've lost my ability to use math to solve problems other than basic arithmetic. I'd like to get at least half way competant at math again as doing so could be helpful in multiple areas of life. My bigest concern is finding some sort of book(s) or course that is enjoyable and will hold my attention.

If anyone has suggetions that would help achive that goal I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:42:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Khan Academy, Bing it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 9:43:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you audit a class at your local community college or university?

The education is "free". You just pay for the grade.
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 7:18:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't like Khan academy personally. The channels I used on Youtube to get me through calc 1,2,3 and differential were PatrickJMT and Professor Leonard, along with some other random videos.

All math eventually boils down to basic algebra, geometry and some trig.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don't want to pay, try Khan Academy.  Instead of just watching the videos, you can actually open a free account and work through the problems, using the videos as tutorials if you need them.

If you don't mind paying a few bucks, check out the local community colleges, as was already suggested.  Many of the courses are offered online, so you can just audit the course and work at your own pace, since you won't be responsible for taking tests or quizzes.  You shouldn't have to buy a book either.  If you feel you need it, the online courses include an electronic copy.

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Depends; what can't you do? I'm sure simple +-*/ you've got cold.
The plan is usually arithmetic, fractions, percents, basic algebra (symbolic) x=1, y=2 x+y = 3, linear algebra y=mx+b, higher order stuff - ax^2+bx+c=0, basic geometry A=pi()*r^2, trignometey  sin(angle)^2  + cos(angle)^2 = 1, basic calculus anon.
Where do you need to start?
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm looking for suggestions on the best way to "get back into" math. Since I've been out of school for over a decade, and my line of work hasn't required it, I've lost my ability to use math to solve problems other than basic arithmetic. I'd like to get at least half way competant at math again as doing so could be helpful in multiple areas of life. My bigest concern is finding some sort of book(s) or course that is enjoyable and will hold my attention.

If anyone has suggetions that would help achive that goal I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
View Quote

How far do you get previously?

Geometry?
Trig?
Calculus?
Vector calculus?

Link Posted: 11/8/2016 8:25:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/10/2016 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Timely topic, thank you. 25 years ago I started college but didn't have the discipline to focus and joined the Navy. I did finish some courses, and based on the college credit received from the Navy job, I am pretty close to finishing a BS in "Nuclear Engineering Technology." To do that, I'm going to have to take calc 1 and calc 2. Like the OP, I haven't touched math in a long long time and am at a loss for where to start.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Justin

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top