Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2016 8:38:09 AM EDT
Not sure if this is the right place for this...

Hey there, I am taking my last class for my Cybersecurity Bachelors with UMUC. I'm stationed in Germany, so my choices are limited as far as schools go. I am looking for advice in which Master's Program I should take on. I am currently leaning towards Data Analytics paired up with an MBA. I am using Tuition Assistance, so a big plus is that this isn't my final option and I can always (plan on) attaining a second Master's at a later point with my GI bill or Texas Hazelwood Act.

A little background. I have been in about 3 1/2 years. I plan for twenty. I don't really want to do my job after I retire. I would like to get involved in something large scope, like .gov or a large corporation. I have two Associates Degrees along with a career (AFSC) dealing with electronics, mechanics and other technical skills. I am attempting to apply to OTS, but my chances are limited. I may only have one or two more chances. If I get in I would like a degree that could help in that role as well as something that would offer me opportunities in the event of a discharge or separation (i.e. med board). My wife is also serving with me as Enlisted. She is an IT AFSC and is almost complete with her Bachelor's in Business Administration.

My options include;
- Information Technology with an emphasis on Databases and paired with an MBA - I feel like this is a solid choice, but is not as interesting to me in the long run.
- Cybersecurity - I don't really want to specialize in this field as far as education goes anymore. I think I am just tired of it. I wouldn't mind working it though.
- International Studies - This would be almost just for fun. I really like the curriculum, but I feel as though I could never justify it.
- Accounting and Financial Mgmt - I am really interested in this as well. I also feel that lessons learned will help in every day life. Problems with this degree is that I don't see myself applying these skills until after my retirement. At which point, I feel as though they may no longer be relative.
- Data Analytics coupled with an MBA - This is a new consideration for me. I am really, really interested in this field as I have been watching the growing importance of Data Mining etc. What I like about this is how relevant it is to so many fields. Intelligence, Markets, Research, etc.  What I don't know is since this is so new I don't know much about it.

I am going to start these classes come January '17. I have plans to setup my degree plan this week and start working on the pre-requisites I might have.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:35:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Data analytics is the up and coming money sink in healthcare information technology. We're dumping money into and related topics and I think its probably a safe field for the next decade, at least until they figure out that it costs more money than it saves.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 10:51:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:47:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your last sentence ... I have a saying at the shop ...

"We can hire three $100,000 a year bean counters that will tell us we're losing $300,000 a year."

I sorta kid.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Data analytics is the up and coming money sink in healthcare information technology. We're dumping money into and related topics and I think its probably a safe field for the next decade, at least until they figure out that it costs more money than it saves.

Your last sentence ... I have a saying at the shop ...

"We can hire three $100,000 a year bean counters that will tell us we're losing $300,000 a year."

I sorta kid.

Every job behind schedule or over budget needs more management to keep it that way.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 8:07:50 AM EDT
[#5]
You can't go wrong with an MBA, but from UMUC I don't know how valuable that would be.

Data Analytics is a field where you can probably find work, but I wonder if it pays well.  I would do some research to see what's out there for entry level jobs and see what that's going to do for you -- remember, a degree you get today is not going to be extremely helpful 17 years down the road unless it's a field you work in and continue to cultivate your expertise in.  I just finished my MS (IA/CyberSecurity) now, and I'm at 21 years and looking to retire in the next couple of years -- I'll focus on certs the next two years or so and then just keep those current until I retire and move into the IA field on the civilian or civil service side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top