Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2016 10:03:06 PM EDT
I'm helping my 7th grader and reviewing his math homework, and I still can't quite figure out one problem. I know I'm overthinking this.

The problem in question is this:  -6^2

(-6)^2 = 36. No problem. (The ^2 is to represent an exponent, just to be clear).

But, -6^2 = -36. I confirmed this with the answer in the back of the book, my TI-84 and Wolframalpha.

Aren't they both just asking -6 X -6?
Why do the lack of parentheses make a difference. I understand -(6)^2 would be -36. But I'm not getting this?

My wife, also a college grad, is muttering about this too.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:08:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Operator precedence of exponentiation?

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 10:14:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Squaring a number is higher priority than the minus sign.

That is, you aren't squaring -6, you are squaring 6 then negating the result.

It is the same as times and divide come before plus and minus, doing roots and exponents (in this case squaring) comes before times, divide, plus and minus.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations

Link Posted: 9/19/2016 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#3]
-6^2 = 36.

-(6^2)= -36
Link Posted: 9/21/2016 1:49:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

-6^2 = 36.

-(6^2)= -36
View Quote
Yeah, I figured out that was the case. But it's, at best, poorly written. Putting it in parentheses makes it crystal clear.

On the upside, my son got 100% on the test the next day. So our review time was well spent.

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#5]
In a written out polynomial -5x^2-6x-7 = 0 it is interpreted as -(5(x^2)) - (6x) -7 = 0 since multiplication (and exponentiation is multiplication) takes precedence over subtraction (or addition) in each term.

Trig and other functions can make a real mess out of a polynomial so just put in the extra parenthesis.

You also need to now if a -1 power directly on a trgi function is also takes as the inverse function (arcsin) and not 1/sin x.  (sin x)^-1 would be 1/sin x.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top