Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2016 3:02:06 PM EDT
Hello All, It's been a while since I have been in these courses so I came here to ask if anyone remembers the lab equipment used in the courses listed above...

What I have so far, from memory. Only interested in the high cost items, I'm trying to create a budget for work...and I don't want to forget items. Thanks!!

Microbiology: Autoclave, Fume hood, Stirrers/Hot Plates, Microscopes, Incubators, Distilled Water apparatus, Refrigerators, Scales, Bunsen Burners, Centrifuge

Chemistry up to Organic II: Fume hoods, Scales, Hot Plate/Stirrers, Spectrophotometers, Glassware, Melting point apparatus, Gas Chromatography apparatus

Cell Biology: Microscopes, Spectrophotometers

Genetics: Gel electrophoresis apparatus, PCR, Centrifuge

Thanks again.

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Hello All, It's been a while since I have been in these courses so I came here to ask if anyone remembers the lab equipment used in the courses listed above...
What I have so far, from memory. Only interested in the high cost items, I'm trying to create a budget for work...and I don't want to forget items. Thanks!!
Microbiology: Autoclave, Biosafety Cabinet II, Stirrers/Hot Plates, Shaker, Microscopes, Incubators, Incubating shaker, Distilled Water apparatus, Refrigerators, Freezer (-20, -80), Scales, Bunsen Burners, Centrifuge
Chemistry up to Organic II: Fume hoods, Scales, Hot Plate/Stirrers, Spectrophotometers, Glassware, Melting point apparatus, Gas Chromatography apparatus, HPLC, Rotovap, Rapidvap
Cell Biology: Microscopes, Spectrophotometers, BSC II, CO2 Incubator, Swinging bucket centrifuge, Inverted microscope, pH Meter, Micropipettes *Cell Biology would require readouts of what cells are doing, each with unique equipment requirements, fluorescent microscope / plate reader / etc
Genetics: Gel electrophoresis apparatus, PCR, Centrifuge, Gel Doc, Real Time PCR cycler
Thanks again.
View Quote
Show up, bring money. Let me know if I can help with your project in any way.

ETA: VWR has new lab startup checklists available here: https://us.vwr.com/store/content/externalContentPage.jsp?path=/en_US/furniture_new_lab_set_up_checklists.jsp

Link Posted: 9/13/2016 3:38:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you sir!
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 7:53:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like Some_Beach has BTDT

I would note you might need both agarose gel electrophoresis apparatus (for RNA, DNA, oligos) and acrylamide gel apparatus (for proteins).

For centrifuges, you'll need a "clinical" centrifuge, ideally with both fixed-angle and swinging bucket rotors (need rotors/inserts for both 15-mL blue Falcon tubes and 50-mL orange Falcon tubes), standard Eppendorf tube tabletop microfuge, and if the money is there a refrigerated microfuge.

Some provision for storing frozen stocks of cells, either a -150 mechanical freezer or liquid nitrogen cell freezer.

A vapor-pressure osmometer would be nice, but they are very expensive.
Link Posted: 9/13/2016 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sounds like Some_Beach has BTDT

I would note you might need both agarose gel electrophoresis apparatus (for RNA, DNA, oligos) and acrylamide gel apparatus (for proteins).

For centrifuges, you'll need a "clinical" centrifuge, ideally with both fixed-angle and swinging bucket rotors (need rotors/inserts for both 15-mL blue Falcon tubes and 50-mL orange Falcon tubes), standard Eppendorf tube tabletop microfuge, and if the money is there a refrigerated microfuge.

Some provision for storing frozen stocks of cells, either a -150 mechanical freezer or liquid nitrogen cell freezer.

A vapor-pressure osmometer would be nice, but they are very expensive.
View Quote

BTDT and written the check many times. Luckily I was on the receiving end of the check for a few years too so I have a few tricks up my sleeve

Link Posted: 9/14/2016 7:23:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all. Much appreciated.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 5:42:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Less expensive microscopes have a lot of flare in them.
Washes out (already low contrast) images.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:25:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a PhD in a immunology/ semi-micro lab. You've listed some of the major pieces of equipment, but without knowing what you're trying to do, it's hard to say what other equipment or reagents you'll need.
Link Posted: 10/5/2016 6:35:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Microscope, Leica.  Even in my little local college.
Link Posted: 10/17/2016 7:49:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Microscope, Leica.  Even in my little local college.
View Quote

High end Olympus is as good.

The cost is about the same though.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 1:26:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Micro-Host parasite: Rocker platform, anaerobic chamber or Gas Pak Jars, peristaltic pump, pH meter, autoplater, kinetic microplate reader, microplate fraction collector, HPLC
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#11]
I appreciate everyone's feedback. I am going to buy the big items and let the new hire work out the details.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top