Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2016 9:25:57 PM EDT
One of the things I learned in the Navy that I use on a fairly regular basis is the ability to calculate sines in my head.  I dunno why they don't teach this in school, but it comes in damned handy.

For angles up to 40 degrees, sinX = X/60

For angles more then 40, sinX = (X+25)/100

So sin22=22/60 that's a tad bit over 1/3 or if I do the long division, I get .38.  

and sin 60, that's 60+25 = 85%.  And at 75 degrees, the sin is 1

Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:26:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Dude, it's Thursday and I've been drinking ... I can't handle this
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:42:11 PM EDT
[#2]
And what do u use this for?
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 10:18:28 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

It comes in handy for showing off.  But I use it a lot to cross-check things at work or even at the hardware store.

What's the corrected range for a shot fired at a 15 degree angle?  That's range times cos of 15.  Which is range times sin (90-angle=75deg) = 1 x range.   Answer:  no correction necessary.

How much deeper is the low pressure blower at the back of a 500' long sub if the ship is at a 2deg angle?  2/60=4%, so ~20ft.  33ft is 15psi, so the back pressure is about 10psi higher.

Link Posted: 5/7/2016 1:46:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It comes in handy for showing off.  But I use it a lot to cross-check things at work or even at the hardware store.

What's the corrected range for a shot fired at a 15 degree angle?  That's range times cos of 15.  Which is range times sin (90-angle=75deg) = 1 x range.   Answer:  no correction necessary.

How much deeper is the low pressure blower at the back of a 500' long sub if the ship is at a 2deg angle?  2/60=4%, so ~20ft.  33ft is 15psi, so the back pressure is about 10psi higher.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good info.

Today's generation isn't taught to multiply 2*2 in their head, so this is way outside the norm for them unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/26/2016 12:16:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice trick!

One I use a lot is for figuring area of circles- D^2 x .7854.  Cause circles are basically just squares with the corners knocked off.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 4:03:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess this is just for approximation?

20 sin is .34202014 but your formula gives .3333_

It's a neat trick, don't get me wrong.  But, not accurate enough for the stuff I do.

Still. I like anything math.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top