Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2016 7:36:32 AM EDT
I keep seeing something in the sky that looks weird to me. I first noticed it two weeks ago while taking a run after dark. While running north east I noticed a light in the sky that is "twinkling" red, green, and white. At first I thought it was someones quad copter, but it stayed in the same spot for my run and for at least an hour afterwards while I tried to get a better view from home. I did not have much success trying to see it with binoculars or my spotting scope ( I really need to get a telescope someday.) I pulled up Google sky and tried to figure out what it is, and the closest star I could figure it to be was Arcturus, but it was not a spot on match with the sky map.

I look at the sky a lot and can say I have never seen anything like this before.

I'm about 4.5 miles north of the North Carolina line and the object was NE about 72 degrees and about 35 degrees up from the horizon at 8:30 pm. I have seen it on every clear night since noticing it a couple of weeks ago week.

Anyone else seen this? Who knows what I am looking at? Should I get some tin foil and hide in the closet?
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Always in the same spot at the same time? Does it appear to move at all?
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 7:58:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Comet?
View Quote

That comet was the first thing I thought of because I had read about it a couple of months ago, problem is the comet is only supposed to be visible in the hours before dawn.

Lately I have been taking my after dinner walk/run around 8pm and it is always in the same spot.
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 8:40:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Stationary over an hour rules out any celestial source.  Something that far up would move with the stars as the Earth rotates under it.

You are not seeing a geosynchronous sat, those are too far out to see.

My bets are it's a targeting laser for a telescope (which would stay wherever they set it) or just a laser pointing up for other reasons.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 7:53:35 AM EDT
[#5]
It transitions through the sky, moving up and south.  It is also the second thing I can see after sundown.  Jupiter is the first object I can see, than whatever this is, then other stars as it gets darker.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

It transitions through the sky, moving up and south.  It is also the second thing I can see after sundown.  Jupiter is the first object I can see, than whatever this is, then other stars as it gets darker.
View Quote
Got an iPhone?

There are apps that let you hold up the phone and it overlays stars and planets and such.  Sounds like you are seeing Venus or Mars or something.

Link Posted: 4/8/2016 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I see it every dark clear night from my place in Michigan. I always wondered the same thing. What is a goo app for my iphone to star watch?
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:28:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I use the "Planets" app.  It shows the positions of constellations and planets and follows the motion of your phone. It also provides the times of visibility of the planets, as well. It's free, so that's nice, but I'm sure there's better pay apps out there.

ETA: This one https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/planets/id305793334?mt=8
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:31:55 PM EDT
[#10]
You're seeing Sirius, the brightest object in the sky.
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:32:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I see it every dark clear night from my place in Michigan. I always wondered the same thing. What is a goo app for my iphone to star watch?
View Quote

SkEye
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:34:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 3:44:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/8/2016 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Got an iPhone?

There are apps that let you hold up the phone and it overlays stars and planets and such.  Sounds like you are seeing Venus or Mars or something.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got an iPhone?

Not Venus or Mars, Google Sky is an app that shows such things.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#15]
My guess is that you may be seeing sun-synchronous satellites. If you look up the NASA A-train, you will find a good example of a sun-synchronous satellite constellation. Their orbits are north-to-south and south-to-north (depending on the time of day), and they pass over the same spot of the Earth at the same time of day. Satellites are easiest to see at twilight, when their altitude allows them to still be in full sunlight, but the surface is already in shadow. You can search out online applications which show where the constellations are at any given time and CelesTrack (https://celestrack.com) has orbit data which are publicly available (at least for the unclassified vehicles) and so does Space-Track (https://www.space-track.org/auth/login). I am not sure if there is a program or app developed which lets you know what satellites might be visible at a given location, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone has already written such a thing in Java, Python, R etc. I hope that helps.

Link Posted: 5/10/2016 1:32:37 AM EDT
[#16]
we are not alone!!! and thats the truth
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#17]
My dad has been semi-obsessed with these for about half a year now. They are commonly referred to as "disco balls", amongst other things. Explanations I've seen have ranged from common starlight being refracted under atmospheric disturbance to downright crackpot moonbat conspiracy theories involving government  satellite webs and, of course, E.T.'s

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread371552/pg3
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 11:18:05 AM EDT
[#18]
the weird thing is that there's no official report saying what it is or isn't
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top