Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/4/2016 5:19:10 PM EDT

I may have found a fossil and have a few questions.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 6:47:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Photo?

Description?
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 7:11:40 PM EDT
[#2]

I will take some pics when I get home.
I found a few fossils, at least I think they are fossils.
I found them on a layer of feactured limestone that was uncovered when heavy rain eroded the clay soil over it.
The geology here has layers of limestone with clay and marl between the layers.
From doing a little research my area, just north of Fort Worth, is relatively fossil rich so if these are fossilized bones they aren't rare.
It would be a cool find though. I have found fossilized wood from a sand area before but these would be my first bone find other than shells etc.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:38:25 PM EDT
[#3]
My uncle is a paleogeologist; right up your alley.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#4]

I will get some pics later today-I hope. My wife called me from work yesterday saying her eyes hurt. The opthamalogist says she has ulcers on her corneas. I didn't have time to think about taking pics.

From doing a little more reading and looking at a map it seems these are not rare at all here. This area is in the watershed into Little Fossil Creek so fossils are normal. These were uncovered when heavy rain eroded the overlying soil and exposed the layers of limestone.
These are not complete fossils, if they are fossils at all. They look like pieces of fossilized bone. Just parts, nothing complete.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:54:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Brother in Law is.  Post up those pics.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:27:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brother in Law is.  Post up those pics.
View Quote

I'm trying. I had to fix brakes on a friend od a friend's car. He is a Navy vet- brown water Navy back in '63-'66 and can barely get around. I wanted to check his car over completely to make sure it's safe for him to drive.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:31:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I actually met Sam O'neill in a restaurant once... so I have that going for me, which is nice.

but tag to see the cool find.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#8]

These may be nothing, but then again they might be cool.

Link Posted: 2/7/2016 5:27:01 PM EDT
[#9]

There seems to be internal structure that makes me think they are fossilized bones, but I am not a paleontologist.
These are from an area that feeds into the Fossil Creek area just north of Fort Worth. That area has yielded a lot of fossil finds.
If anyone needs more info on the area or different pics let me know.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 10:35:46 AM EDT
[#10]

There is an i teresting formation near where I found these. It looks like a small mound of rounded broken limestone a out 3/4" thick. It's hard to describe but it was noticeable because there was nothing else like it in the area.
Not too far from that mound is a round hole in the layer of limestone. That layer is broken- shattered looking. There are places where runoff obviously washed some away but the hole isn't in that area.

I have no idea if any of that is significant or not. If it is I will contact someone local to check it out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#11]
The last pic may be a early form of horse lower leg bone.  The others he can't tell whats up.
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The last pic may be a early form of horse lower leg bone.  The others he can't tell whats up.
View Quote

Thank him for me, and thank you.
I will try washing them off and see if I can get some better pics.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 6:26:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Does he think they are fossils or just rocks?
Link Posted: 2/19/2016 8:12:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He thinks the others are just rocks but says you really can't tell without a lot of looking and cleaning using a tiny air pick size cleaning tool he has.  Take a dental picks to them and go very slow and see if there is underlying rock of a different texture or grain.  Wet it as you go along, it can help.  Have fun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top