Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2016 5:05:07 PM EDT
I'm currently taking an online electromagnetics class that is kicking my butt. I'm mostly struggling with vector calculus concepts but i know my diff. eq. skills that I'll need soon are most likely lacking as well.  I think it'd be good to have a tutor to go over homework problems with. Can you guys maybe recommend a decent place to find one.
Link Posted: 1/18/2016 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Since it is online, are you near/at the school you are taking the class from?  Worth asking in the physics department there if so.  Could be worth it to ask at a different college as well.  I tutored a highschool girl when I was in college for my bs, but I'm sure there would be help for college level stuff as well.  

And no, no pics of girl.    Even though it's not GD, just heading it off.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 2:01:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The book "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations" could be useful.  It's short, concise, and does a good job at explaining Maxwell's equations, which is basically the majority of what you cover in an electromagnetism class.  

Are the homework questions from Mastering Physics?  If you're stuck, copy and paste the exact question and google it.  Most of the typical homework questions have been answered and explained online with useful explanations.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 8:37:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Since it is online, are you near/at the school you are taking the class from?  Worth asking in the physics department there if so.  Could be worth it to ask at a different college as well.  I tutored a highschool girl when I was in college for my bs, but I'm sure there would be help for college level stuff as well.  

And no, no pics of girl.    Even though it's not GD, just heading it off.
View Quote

No, my school is on the other side of the country. the local school with an engineering program is about an hour and a half away.
Link Posted: 1/19/2016 8:42:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The book "A Student's Guide to Maxwell's Equations" could be useful.  It's short, concise, and does a good job at explaining Maxwell's equations, which is basically the majority of what you cover in an electromagnetism class.  

Are the homework questions from Mastering Physics?  If you're stuck, copy and paste the exact question and google it.  Most of the typical homework questions have been answered and explained online with useful explanations.
View Quote

I'll take a look at that book. These homework questions are from the text book "field and wave elctromagnetics" . I'm pretty comfortable with the MP format, but these questions kind of suck because there aren't any like examples with answers in the back of the book and little help online.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#5]
The tutoring service Wyzant can set you up with a tutor in your geographical area.  Pricing varies from $30 to $60 per session and online tutoring is offered by many of their tutors.
Link Posted: 11/14/2016 2:53:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Fields is a PITA.

The best 'trick' I found was to have multiple textbooks and read the applicable sections of each.

Some authors are a lot better than others at developing certain concepts.

Even a different development (explanation)  can make some of the harder things easier to grasp.

Applied electromagnetics, by Martin Plonus usually gets (still) good comments.

See if you can find  a used copy on the cheap.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top