Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2016 10:51:54 AM EDT
Ladies and Gentlemen

I've been asked to give a talk on my thesis work as part of a job interview. I need to create a brief abstract and bio about myself. Any tips or suggestions?

I have been with the same lab my entire career. I started off as a technician and worked up. I have a bachelors degree in engineering technology and a bachelors degree in electrical engineering, I am completing my Masters of Science this semester.

Should I mention all my education and the fact I worked my way up?

My thesis is on the design of a band gap voltage reference in Silicon Carbide.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:06:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Look at how the steps you've taken in your career, including education, will be an asset to your new employment. Defend your judgement like you'll defend your Thesis in your Masters program. Remember that you should stress how the past created the present, and how the present, will help the future. Be proud of what you've done but humble when it comes to what you can do for them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 7:51:39 PM EDT
[#2]
If you're giving a presentation, your education/past work experience should fit in a single slide. In a academic CV, they fit inside a page.

The focus of your talk should be what you're working on.

In all honesty, if this is a job talk, most people would not include their educational background, since it's stuff that's easily visible in the CV. It's not interesting, and we already know about it otherwise we wouldn't be interviewing you.

You spend the 99.99% of the time talking about your project. You start by describing the dilema or problem you were facing (30%). You progress to what the process was to come up with the solution, and the data (50%). You finish by suggesting future directions, applications of your design, etc (20%).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top