Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2015 3:17:48 PM EDT
If you are a genius at it..IM me  BioStats 350
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 11:19:18 PM EDT
[#1]
what part of biostats do you need help with? I'm learning different things ad hoc
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 8:16:53 AM EDT
[#2]
probability and confidence interval amongst other things.  My professor is a joke and my class was online only...not good
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

probability and confidence interval amongst other things.  My professor is a joke and my class was online only...not good
View Quote

What specifically do you need help with? Are you struggling with the concepts? When to use which test? How to do the math?

Most, if not all of statistics deals with probability. And CI's are just another way of showing probability.

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I need something that deciphers what the symbols mean.  p X etc etc.  I need a complete cheat sheet with formulas and a glossary.  I can plug and play numbers just fine.  It is the damn symbols in the equasion that screws me up.
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 9:48:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I need something that deciphers what the symbols mean.  p X etc etc.  I need a complete cheat sheet with formulas and a glossary.  I can plug and play numbers just fine.  It is the damn symbols in the equasion that screws me up.
View Quote
p = probability

n = sample size

beyond that, it's hard to say since there are many different tests/formulas... Some may use overlapping:

R in ranked tests refers to rank, but in correlation tests, means something completely different.

No bypassing this except studying your butt off.

My experience with biostats actually never touches the plug/play side... It's not really useful to know all the formulas, since packages in R/Python/Matlab/SPSS all have those things pre programmed. Not to mention in real life situations, biological data sets are usually large enough where it's unfeasible for a human to do the calculations.

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

Google confidence intervals, there are all sorts of helpful sites and notes from college classes available.
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 8:24:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
My experience with biostats actually never touches the plug/play side... It's not really useful to know all the formulas, since packages in R/Python/Matlab/SPSS all have those things pre programmed. Not to mention in real life situations, biological data sets are usually large enough where it's unfeasible for a human to do the calculations.

View Quote

That is why this course SHOULD have been based on theory, not the math part.  Piss poor instructor and horrible curriculum.  It needs to be tossed out of the degree program as it has no real world use.  F college.
Link Posted: 12/29/2015 1:58:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Ahhhhh  I remember biometrics.  I'll hate ANOVA tables till I die.

Open book exams and Final.  Those tests were like being crucified.  It was one of the "weed out" courses for my degree, and when you passed that class as a junior it was easy sailing till graduation.  As I took this class in 1986, calculators were not what they are today.  I was told to get a Hewlett Packard 15C if I wanted to pass and that damn thing saved my ass.  It inverts a 4x4 matrix in about 5 minutes the only calculator of the day that could and it cost 180 bucks or so in 1985.  I still use that calculator to this day, but couldnt tell you squat about analysis of variance tables.........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top