Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2015 10:14:20 AM EDT
Reposted from the photography forum..

Sorry pic came out sideways...but anyway...Dug this out of the attic at the ex's house. I got this scope for christmas around 1982. It is barely used. A Soligor. That T adapter has a mount for an Olympus OM10. Are those T adapters standard? Can I get a new digital camera and the correct adapter to screw onto that T adapter? Where to order?

Suggestion on an inexpensive camera body?

I still have the old OM10 stored in the closet but film has gone the way of the dodo bird....

Can anyone tell me if this Canon adapter would fit the T mount on my scope? The description says something about not being a standard T adapter... The Olympus adapter says T-2 Mount on the package..

http://www.telescope.com/Astrophotography/Camera-Adapters-T-Rings/Orion-Wide-M48-T-ring-for-Canon-EOS-Cameras/pc/-1/c/4/sc/62/p/5186.uts
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Took her out last night with my son to a local observatory. Got a chance to look through someone's 8" celestron. Holy crap, what a view. All I had was a fuzzy dot. I wanted to wait for Jupiter to rise above the trees or even the moon but my son was hungry and tired.

I definitely need new equipment. The guy with the celestron said the eye piece was high quality. I should have asked him if I could drop it into my scope for a few minutes to see the difference.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:07:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Try the Cloudynights forum. They will have the answers you need.
Link Posted: 3/4/2016 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Cameras with ANY moving parts for an exposure are a real problem.

Even the tiny motion of the lens cover in an electronic camera is an issue.

CCD cameras are much preferred.
CMOS cannot be left 'open' for extended periods to get enough photons through.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:20:18 AM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Took her out last night with my son to a local observatory. Got a chance to look through someone's 8" celestron. Holy crap, what a view. All I had was a fuzzy dot. I wanted to wait for Jupiter to rise above the trees or even the moon but my son was hungry and tired.

I definitely need new equipment. The guy with the celestron said the eye piece was high quality. I should have asked him if I could drop it into my scope for a few minutes to see the difference.
View Quote
I'm still looking into a camera adapter for my telescope, but what I can tell you that I've learned since buying it, reflector telescopes need to have their mirrors collimated.  If it's been sitting with temperature swings and getting bumped around, etc, the primary and secondary mirrors need to be adjusted.  There are a few ways to do this using a cheap laser collimator or a eyepiece holder cap with small centered hole.  Instructions can be found all over.

The eyepiece is also important.  If it says for example, H20 or SR4.5, they're the cheap eyepiece.  I bought a couple Sirius Plossl eyepieces, and there is a formula for determining which ones to get based on telescope dimensions.

Collimation and the eyepieces made a huge difference with my reflector scope.

Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:17:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm still looking into a camera adapter for my telescope, but what I can tell you that I've learned since buying it, reflector telescopes need to have their mirrors collimated.  If it's been sitting with temperature swings and getting bumped around, etc, the primary and secondary mirrors need to be adjusted.  There are a few ways to do this using a cheap laser collimator or a eyepiece holder cap with small centered hole.  Instructions can be found all over.

The eyepiece is also important.  If it says for example, H20 or SR4.5, they're the cheap eyepiece.  I bought a couple Sirius Plossl eyepieces, and there is a formula for determining which ones to get based on telescope dimensions.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I need it collimated because I tried to do it myself...
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#6]
I had to give up years ago.

Sky glow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top