Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2015 12:38:32 AM EDT
Well college is in full force now. I'm currently taking calculus 1 and engineering physics 1. Does anyone have any tips to succeed in physics? I currently have a small civil engineering background from a summer internship and a mechanical background due to my part/full-time drafting job. The concepts presented in class make total sense to me in part due to my hands on experience. I found a missing link in the chain when it comes to the math portion especially deriving equations to fit a physics problem.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 12:53:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I taught Calc 1 for a single semester (thank god).

I mostly taught Calc 3. Someone quit and they needed a teacher. (I long ago quit this... I was an engineering student, but the Math department paid better...)

Here's the thing with Calculus, and any Calculus based subject. There's a light that just comes on. I can't make it come on, I can just explain it mathematically and let the 'AH-HA!' moment happen.

Generally, I would suggest getting Calc1 out of the way. That's where the 'Ah-ha!' really happens, and none of your other subjects that rely on you understanding that will make sense until you understand Calc1.

I will tell you that I didn't 'get it' in Calc until near the end of my first semester. I had, at best, a C, in that class going into the final. My Prof (who was the department head and largely responsible for hiring me later) believed in this 'Ah-ha' moment, and I aced (198/200) the final, and she gave me an A, and I never turned back, or had trouble in math again. I'm a believer, because one day the light just came on. Calc is like that. You have just dealt with problems that are linear and simple for so long, that you start having to think in more than one dimension, and it just doesn't make sense for a while. Then you think in 2... 3... 76... doesn't matter. You -get- it.

But I'll tell you, I'm not good at making that light come on. I taught the class, but I never did again, and I wouldn't again.

Not a lot of help, I know. But stick it out. Try. Most people smart enough to get it, get it eventually. I don't think there are shortcuts.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:00:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I should mention I already have taken calculus 1. I got a C in the class but decided to retake the class since I clawed my way to the top of the mountain. Hopefully the "a ha!" moment will come soon. I personally think the problem is not thinking in multiple dimensions to solve a problem.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:11:50 AM EDT
[#3]
At my university Calculus 1 is a prerequisite for Engineering Physics, I don't know how it isn't at yours. The derivations and integrals are not terrible in Engineering Physics, but if you have never learned them before than you wouldn't have any idea what they are talking about. In Calc 1 you don't even learn integration until about 2/3's of the way through, and derivatives pretty much out of the gate.

Basically

if you're given an Acceleration then you can take the integral of that and find the velocity. A lot of times in Engineering Physics 1 the Acceleration is -9.8 meters/second aka gravity.

The integral or anti derivative of that is -9.8t+ c (C is a constant of velocity) t can be replaced with any variable but usually its time so t is pretty much always used in Engineering Physics 1

If you know the constant of velocity then that goes there, say 5 meters/second

so velocity or V(t) = -9.8t + 5

to get the position you take the integral of that.

s(t) = -4.9t^2 +5t + c (a constant of your initial position). If something is fired from the ground it is 0.

You can solve nearly any trajectory problem in Engineering Physics 1 with that. But without having the base of how to integrate something I think you're going to find it quite difficult, although not impossible. For instance, if you integrate the position graph (-4.9t^2 +5t + c in this case) you get the average velocity over that period of time. If you integrate the velocity graph you get acceleration over that period of time.

Either way, good luck. I really don't have much advice for you other than to maybe have someone in an upper level Calculus class help you with integration, or learn it yourself online, which could be difficult. I think I would have waited to take Engineering Physics until after the completion of Calculus 1. However, if you have Calculus in high school (I did not) then you should know enough to get through it.

Link Posted: 10/13/2015 6:41:22 PM EDT
[#4]
A very good AHA! trigger is a simple related rates problem.
A ladder leans on a vertical wall.
If the top slides down at X ft sec how fast must the bottom move away from the wall?
Write out the Pythagorean theorem and take the first derivative.
The derivatives are the speed of the ends.

I have had MANY students 'get it' from that single problem.
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:16:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 10:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I learned that just because I had an "ah-ha" moment today doesn't mean it won't turn to an "uh-oh" moment in the morning.

I would go to sleep with problems racing in my mind and would awaken at 2am with the solution in a moment of clarity. I quickly learned to get my ass up and write it down while I was seeing it... Good luck. I was in EE... I had Cal 1,2 & 3 and Cal based Physics 1,2 & 3...

ETA: I flunked Cal 1 and 2 the 1st time and 4.0'd them the next...
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:48:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I would tell the OP to practice, practice, practice.  The "ah-ha!" will come through practice.  Do the homework, then do the rest of the problems.  Find ones you don't understand.  Visit your professor during office hours and ask about those, or go to a free tutoring session (most schools have them for engineering and math).
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 2:02:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I got a B.Sc. degree in physics.  I'm not a genius.  Study hard.  

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 10:46:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Its just an issue of practice. If you get lost you can always use Kahn Academy.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:00:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well college is in full force now. I'm currently taking calculus 1 and engineering physics 1. Does anyone have any tips to succeed in physics? I currently have a small civil engineering background from a summer internship and a mechanical background due to my part/full-time drafting job. The concepts presented in class make total sense to me in part due to my hands on experience. I found a missing link in the chain when it comes to the math portion especially deriving equations to fit a physics problem.
View Quote

I was a physics 101 TA a hundred years ago.
That my friend is what separates the physics student from the premed douchebag sitting next to him/her.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That my friend is what separates the physics student from the premed douchebag sitting next to him/her.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bingo.

257 years ago when I had my first semester of Organic Chem, we had over 200 people in there....engineers, chemists, physics majors, premed, prep pharm, etc.

By the end, it was down to about 125. The rest moved on to business.
Link Posted: 1/1/2016 11:40:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A very good AHA! trigger is a simple related rates problem.
A ladder leans on a vertical wall.
If the top slides down at X ft sec how fast must the bottom move away from the wall?
Write out the Pythagorean theorem and take the first derivative.
The derivatives are the speed of the ends.

I have had MANY students 'get it' from that single problem.
View Quote

Can you write this down?  I'm confused.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/2/2016 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 11:42:03 PM EDT
[#14]
You can also gain some intuition by looking at the units and thinking about the order of the derivative required to generate that unit.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 11:31:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View Quote

This is physics 1, so they aren't asking you to solve the wave equation or anything... (There are 4+ master's level physics courses for that) Honestly, when I was in high school & college physics and even when I tutored by sister-in-law, I found that the text gives you all the equations you need to solve that chapter's homework problems. The best way to start a solution is to figure out the units of the solution see what equations give you the units required to solve the problem.
You've also hit upon what makes engineering difficult; one must be able to identify the physics involved in a problem and then identify and apply relevant math concepts to solve the problem.

Calc 2 is a bitch and differential equations can be frickin' impossible if you have a soft spoken asian professor... Shit you not, it took me 4 weeks to figure out what he meant by "arfa".

Derivatives are rates of change and integrals are running sums (basically). The mechanics get rather cumbersome once multiple dimensions are involved, but keeping the basic concepts in mind helps visualize what's going on.

Link Posted: 1/26/2016 7:21:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is physics 1, so they aren't asking you to solve the wave equation or anything... (There are 4+ master's level physics courses for that) Honestly, when I was in high school & college physics and even when I tutored by sister-in-law, I found that the text gives you all the equations you need to solve that chapter's homework problems. The best way to start a solution is to figure out the units of the solution see what equations give you the units required to solve the problem.

You've also hit upon what makes engineering difficult; one must be able to identify the physics involved in a problem and then identify and apply relevant math concepts to solve the problem.

Calc 2 is a bitch and differential equations can be frickin' impossible if you have a soft spoken asian professor... Shit you not, it took me 4 weeks to figure out what he meant by "arfa".

Derivatives are rates of change and integrals are running sums (basically). The mechanics get rather cumbersome once multiple dimensions are involved, but keeping the basic concepts in mind helps visualize what's going on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a chinese prof in grad school that said the greek letter psi as pussai which sounded like, well, you know.
Every time I see a psi I say pussai in my head.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:40:07 AM EDT
[#17]
Just wait until Calc 3 when you learn and understand where all of the equations for volume and area of things come from, that was a religious experience for me, huge pieces of the universe falling into place.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/21/2016 7:06:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 5:07:25 AM EDT
[#20]
At my school, Calculus 1 is a pre-req, and Calculus 2 is a co-req.  You drop Calc-2 during the semester, and they automatically withdraw you from Physics.

Quoted:
At my university Calculus 1 is a prerequisite for Engineering Physics, I don't know how it isn't at yours. The derivations and integrals are not terrible in Engineering Physics, but if you have never learned them before than you wouldn't have any idea what they are talking about. In Calc 1 you don't even learn integration until about 2/3's of the way through, and derivatives pretty much out of the gate.

Basically

if you're given an Acceleration then you can take the integral of that and find the velocity. A lot of times in Engineering Physics 1 the Acceleration is -9.8 meters/second aka gravity.

The integral or anti derivative of that is -9.8t+ c (C is a constant of velocity) t can be replaced with any variable but usually its time so t is pretty much always used in Engineering Physics 1

If you know the constant of velocity then that goes there, say 5 meters/second

so velocity or V(t) = -9.8t + 5

to get the position you take the integral of that.

s(t) = -4.9t^2 +5t + c (a constant of your initial position). If something is fired from the ground it is 0.

You can solve nearly any trajectory problem in Engineering Physics 1 with that. But without having the base of how to integrate something I think you're going to find it quite difficult, although not impossible. For instance, if you integrate the position graph (-4.9t^2 +5t + c in this case) you get the average velocity over that period of time. If you integrate the velocity graph you get acceleration over that period of time.

Either way, good luck. I really don't have much advice for you other than to maybe have someone in an upper level Calculus class help you with integration, or learn it yourself online, which could be difficult. I think I would have waited to take Engineering Physics until after the completion of Calculus 1. However, if you have Calculus in high school (I did not) then you should know enough to get through it.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/5/2016 5:17:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Instead of having to memorize simple ballistics equations (no drag) you can just derive them.

It saves time and gives a far better understanding of what is going on.

Instead of a bunch of equations it is an organized understanding.

This then goes into many other places.
If you try and include something like speed related drag (like a BC for a bullet) you quickly understand how the equations 'blow up' in complexity.

In many cases there are no 'closed form' solutions.

Link Posted: 4/15/2016 12:19:00 AM EDT
[#22]
What helped me - getting ahold of an Early Transcendentals textbook and doing the science based problems at the end of the chapters.

You strike me as the type of guy who doesn't like to suffer much. If you're not willing to put in the time and wrestle with it, forgetaboutit. Go be a psychology major.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#23]
And after you spend hours learning how to solve differential equations in the math department you will learn a about Laplace transforms in the engineering department.

You will be able to often write the equation set out by examination and solve it with simple algebra.

Caps become 1/sC.
Inductors sL
Resistors stay R.

KVL or KCL.
Solve.
Done.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 3:48:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I taught Calc 1 for a single semester (thank god).

I mostly taught Calc 3. Someone quit and they needed a teacher. (I long ago quit this... I was an engineering student, but the Math department paid better...)

Here's the thing with Calculus, and any Calculus based subject. There's a light that just comes on. I can't make it come on, I can just explain it mathematically and let the 'AH-HA!' moment happen.

Generally, I would suggest getting Calc1 out of the way. That's where the 'Ah-ha!' really happens, and none of your other subjects that rely on you understanding that will make sense until you understand Calc1.

I will tell you that I didn't 'get it' in Calc until near the end of my first semester. I had, at best, a C, in that class going into the final. My Prof (who was the department head and largely responsible for hiring me later) believed in this 'Ah-ha' moment, and I aced (198/200) the final, and she gave me an A, and I never turned back, or had trouble in math again. I'm a believer, because one day the light just came on. Calc is like that. You have just dealt with problems that are linear and simple for so long, that you start having to think in more than one dimension, and it just doesn't make sense for a while. Then you think in 2... 3... 76... doesn't matter. You -get- it.

But I'll tell you, I'm not good at making that light come on. I taught the class, but I never did again, and I wouldn't again.

Not a lot of help, I know. But stick it out. Try. Most people smart enough to get it, get it eventually. I don't think there are shortcuts.
View Quote

This...

Also depends on the institution...

At Jr College I went all the way through Calc 2 with B average.   Transferred to the 4 year and got made to feel like an idiot in Calc 1.   Basically the Jr College was light weight ways of throwing problems at you.   The 4 year completely wiped the floor with me.   Said screw it shortly after transferring because I didnt want to go back down to essentially college trig to relearn or adapt to their way of throwing problems at me.

Coolest thing I remember doing in Calc was rotations of a line and figuring out volumes.    That was cool.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 7:52:51 PM EDT
[#25]
The math department taught '5 hour' freshman engineering calculus.
One classroom hour per day 5 days a week.
Three quarters per academic year back then.
10 weeks each plus a week for final exams.

1st quarter was differential.
Second was integral.
Third was vector (multivariate).

We used texts intended for a semester (15 weeks long) and moved along really fast.

Freshman engineering was referred to as 'pre-business.'

Once you made it past that one further mathematics move do the college of engineering in your department (mechanical, electrical, chemical, civil, industrial, etc.).

Chemical and electrical had four years of math.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Dimensional analysis" aka  Units.  
when they ask questions use the units they give u and the answer theg want as hints.   solved many a problem looking at it that way.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 3:10:21 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

when they ask questions use the units they give u and the answer theg want as hints.   solved many a problem looking at it that way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More than one engineering problem has been solved by simple dimensional analysis.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 3:45:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Work hard.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 12:21:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Calc 1 is the key to everything in my opinion. So is a good understanding of trigonometry. I only took the bare minimums in math in high school and did not take any physics in high school. I have a degree in geophysics with a math/science minor. I am also about 3/4 of the way there for a masters in geophysics but I quit school to go to work.

Anyway when I started college my first math class was calc 1 and it blew my mind. This was before the gave the placement tests otherwise I would not have been in there without taking something else first. I never took trig. Anyway since I was freaked the fuck out about calculus I put 200% effort into it. I literally read the whole book and worked every single problem in it. I damn near had a 100 average in the class because I put so much effort into it and I learned so much. Anyway this super good understanding of calc 1 carried me through the rest of my math classes all the way including graduate level classes and physics. After the effort I put into  calc 1 most math classes required very minimal effort on my part. Physics is confusing by itself and if you don't understand the math behind it you are fucked. I took a couple engineering classes and they pissed me off. They are so focused on the methods and not the results. I could get the right answers and show all my work and they would count it wrong because I didn't solve it the way they wanted me to.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:50:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Calc 1 is the key to everything in my opinion. So is a good understanding of trigonometry. I only took the bare minimums in math in high school and did not take any physics in high school. I have a degree in geophysics with a math/science minor. I am also about 3/4 of the way there for a masters in geophysics but I quit school to go to work.

Anyway when I started college my first math class was calc 1 and it blew my mind. This was before the gave the placement tests otherwise I would not have been in there without taking something else first. I never took trig. Anyway since I was freaked the fuck out about calculus I put 200% effort into it. I literally read the whole book and worked every single problem in it. I damn near had a 100 average in the class because I put so much effort into it and I learned so much. Anyway this super good understanding of calc 1 carried me through the rest of my math classes all the way including graduate level classes and physics. After the effort I put into  calc 1 most math classes required very minimal effort on my part. Physics is confusing by itself and if you don't understand the math behind it you are fucked. I took a couple engineering classes and they pissed me off. They are so focused on the methods and not the results. I could get the right answers and show all my work and they would count it wrong because I didn't solve it the way they wanted me to.
View Quote

Either your calc1 was very different than mine or we had vastly different upper level math classes. My upper level classes required much more effort than Calc1.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 10:42:34 AM EDT
[#31]
When I took Calc based Physics 1 & 2 the professor just used Calc to derive explain where the physics equations come from.  After that it was just Algebra to apply them to the problems.
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
When I took Calc based Physics 1 & 2 the professor just used Calc to derive explain where the physics equations come from.  After that it was just Algebra to apply them to the problems.
View Quote

My course seemed that way as well, but when I looked back at the material, there were quite a few problems that utilized calculus.  Especially since the derivatives of position, with respect to time, give you velocity and acceleration.

With that said, I have seen videos of calculus based physics courses, and they were very heavy into deriving your own formulas based solely on calculus.  I don't know if they were honors courses or what, but they were definitely much heavier into the calculus than the physics course I took.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What helped me - getting ahold of an Early Transcendentals textbook and doing the science based problems at the end of the chapters.

You strike me as the type of guy who doesn't like to suffer much. If you're not willing to put in the time and wrestle with it, forgetaboutit. Go be a psychology major.
View Quote

I'm far from the type of guy who doesn't like to suffer much. I spent countless hours studying material/preparing for exams and held an engineering tech job the whole school year taking these rigorous courses.

Anyways I have an update for everyone! I passed the whole sequence of calculus based physics for engineers and calc 1,2, and 3. Currently enrolled in Statics and Calc 4 and the courses are only going to get more rigorous.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#34]
I'm happy to hear that. My reply came on strong but it was a big lesson to me to correlate suffering with progress....especially in Thermo 1.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'm far from the type of guy who doesn't like to suffer much. I spent countless hours studying material/preparing for exams and held an engineering tech job the whole school year taking these rigorous courses.

Anyways I have an update for everyone! I passed the whole sequence of calculus based physics for engineers and calc 1,2, and 3. Currently enrolled in Statics and Calc 4 and the courses are only going to get more rigorous.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What type of engineering?

You may be almost done for some.

MEs stopped at Differential Equations.

Others go further.

Electrical & Chemical is four years of math.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:42:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Others go further.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Others go further.

Civil.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 4:55:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Civil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Others go further.

Civil.

You may be very close to done.

I do not remember civil looking for tutoring for anything past linear.

Tutoring was good for a lot of beer money.

Even after a set aside for taxes.

Having to learn and file quarterly was an 'interesting' experience.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top