Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2015 10:16:38 PM EDT

Can anyone explain what is causing this so I can tell my brother the moon isn't a holographic projection.  Some sort of natural atmospheric phenomenon?  The guys who have filmed it claim it isn't a photographic anomaly and it's supposedly been independently recorded by several people.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 6:57:36 PM EDT
[#1]
That is an artifact caused by the camera CCD.  It happens to more than one person because CCDs do that.

Kinda like the flying bug films you see where the bug looks like it has 2 sets of wings.  

Occam's Razor my friend.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#2]
That's certainly what it looks like to me as well, but he attempts to refute that in the above video by showing a clip that has the camera panning and the "wave" falls off frame before catching up again and also clips that show the "wave" wrapping around the moon.  Does that defense hold any water?
Link Posted: 9/26/2015 12:33:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Tell can safely tell your brother that the moon isn't a hologram, because the video is a HOAX.  Holograms simply don't work that way.

See how easy that is?

For a more technical argument:

Holograms aren't free floating images like you see in the movies - they are images stored on a medium (hereinafter referred to as "film").  Recording a hologram requires the use of a pair of lasers to illuminate the object and then be recorded on the film.  Viewing the hologram afterwards requires illuminating the film with a laser - you can't see it by holding it in the sun, which is to say that a hologram of the moon therefore WOULDN'T be visible even if there were such a film in place, because the light from the sun would show the film rather than any hologram that might have been imaged on it.

** the "hologram" on your credit card doesn't require a laser to see it because it isn't actually a hologram - it is a multi-layer image, each layer of which can only be seen from a narrow angle, resulting in different layers being visible as the angle to the card changes.  It does, however, still require a solid surface to work.

Mike
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top