Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2015 1:21:29 AM EDT
I don't have time to go to school this year or most of next, due to an intense work schedule (variable shifts, hours ranging from 40-84 per week, on call, etc). I do have time to take a few weeks off around Christmas though.

Gen ed classes required for the degree I want are:

Calc I
Calc II
Multivariable calc
Ordinary Differential Equations

Chem I
Chem II

Physics I
Physics II

I plan on working on my lunch breaks but can cram over weekends (when I'm not working) and vacation. I figure I need to take this weekend to brush up on my algebra and trig, but then I will be ready to dive in.

Where should I start to make this as efficient as possible?

Should I focus on one class at a time? Toss in sciences for a practical use of the math?

I am hoping to set up a test in January to challenge most of these classes and then press into my degree specific courses.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 2:31:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The two chem classes are standalones.

The physics classes will probably be easier after you take the calc classes.  Or, if physics is a better subject for you, it will help you learn calculus - differentiation and integrals.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 5:19:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 10:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The math in the chem is totally stand alone but fairly straight forward.  The formulas are convoluted, the math is not.  

I found the physics math to make more sense because I could "see" the function as a movement with the forces that acted on it.  I am a very visual learner (most likely from my mechanical background).  Physics just made sense to me.  

Masses and orbits, gravity, imparted forces, friction, drag etc. just make sense to me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:15:34 PM EDT
[#4]
As stated, chem will be different math (basic really) than calc/physics.

Calculus is really finding what theory/method of calculus needs to be applied to solve the equation, either by finding a solution or a function that satisfies the given equation, followed by A LOT of algebra/trig. I would brush up on your algebra and Trig if you are not proficient, otherwise you won't know what you are doing in Calc.

1. I would suggest Physics after Calc I, because you will be using calculus to solve the Physics problems, or starting Physics once you feel you have a good understand of the Calculus material.

2. I also recommend differential equations after Calc II, but before Cal 3, as Calc 3 deals with 3 dimensions and Differential equations will directly relate to the material in Calc II. You will briefly touch on Differential equations in Calc II as well.

My advice comes from someone currently taking Diff EQ and General Physics I w/ Calculus after completing  Pre Cal/w Trig, Calc I & II. I'm going for my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering.

Good luck and I highly recommend the Youtube channels of: Professor Leonard( complete recording of lectures, very good teacher) and PatrickJMT, shorter vids with a ton of examples/explanations (more bare bones, like HW you would be given after listening to your lecture).

EDIT: saw you already plan on the algebra/trig brush up so skip that part.
Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#5]
A good teacher can breathe life into these topics which are often boring and dry when read about in a book.

Link Posted: 9/9/2015 10:10:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A good teacher can breathe life into these topics which are often boring and dry when read about in a book.

View Quote

Very much this. My senior year math teacher brought enjoyability back to math in my calc class.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top