Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2015 11:35:12 AM EDT

I'm gearing up for the PE Exam soon. I want to get my PE in Texas for a couple of reasons. I work a lot in the Middle East, and everyone knows Houston, Texas. Oklahoma may as well be on moon. Second, I consider Texas to be home and want to settle there in a few years.

Does anyone know if the NCEES exam is the same/similar for both states? I know I will have to take it in Texas, just not sure if a prep class in Oklahoma will be directly applicable.

Thanks in advance.

Link Posted: 7/21/2015 3:09:56 PM EDT
[#1]
The exam is often the same.
The passing score may not be.
Link Posted: 7/22/2015 1:18:25 PM EDT
[#2]
That's my understanding as well.  NCEES administers their standardized testing, and the state's certifying authority is what issues the license.

Good luck, and don't sweat it.  It's not too bad of a test.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The test is the same all states.  After you pass the test another ethics exam will be requires fro each state that you take over the internet.

Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Why don't you just contact the Texas state board and ask them if they offer Reciprocity to Oklahoma?

Oops,  had it backwards, but both states should offer reciprocity.  The kicker then is you would need to keep both stamps active.  Or you simply could get an OK PE, apply for reciprocity and then when/if you start practicing in TX, let the OK PE lapse.
Link Posted: 9/5/2015 12:35:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why don't you just contact the Texas state board and ask them if they offer Reciprocity to Oklahoma?

Oops,  had it backwards, but both states should offer reciprocity.  The kicker then is you would need to keep both stamps active.  Or you simply could get an OK PE, apply for reciprocity and then when/if you start practicing in TX, let the OK PE lapse.
View Quote

Just pay for both.

Reinstating can be a PITA.

I had four or five states for a while.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 12:45:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I'm gearing up for the PE Exam soon. I want to get my PE in Texas for a couple of reasons. I work a lot in the Middle East, and everyone knows Houston, Texas. Oklahoma may as well be on moon. Second, I consider Texas to be home and want to settle there in a few years.

Does anyone know if the NCEES exam is the same/similar for both states? I know I will have to take it in Texas, just not sure if a prep class in Oklahoma will be directly applicable.

Thanks in advance.

View Quote

- Some states require only passing the Professional Engineering Exam along with verified experience
- Some states require in addition, taking and passing a state Ethics Exam
- Some states require in addition, taking and passing other exams related to your discipline (for instance in California for Civil-PE you have to take a survey exam and seismic exam)

Point being you will need to understand what Texas and Oklahoma require for application for professional licensure (through reciprocity or using your NCEES exam results and experience). Passing the NCEES test does not give you professional licensure but is used to support your application for professional licensure with each state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top