Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2015 12:00:50 AM EDT
Eventually, I will ask the question, "Why?".

So, I was reviewing basic electrostatics and something really dumb popped into my head.  It has to do with electric fields  and electrostatic forces on charged particles.  Here's some background for context.

If you have two or more charged particles, you can calculate the (vector) electric field they create.  The field will (and must) include the influence of the two (or more) charged particles - multiple charges will cause field line bending, etc.  

E(x,y,z) = SUM(k*Qi/r2 * rhat)

Using this you can calculate the field in infinite detail.

If you have done any of this work, you also know the formula:

F = E * Q

Where the force (F) on a charged particle (Q) is proportional to the electric field (E).

So, cutting to the chase, here it comes -

The thing is, if you want to calculate the force between two charged particles, the previously calculated electric field (E(x,y,z)) is useless, even though it included the contributions of all charged particles,.  You have to calculate the force caused by one particle on the other directly using:

F = k*Q1Q2/r2 * rhat

Why?

Why bother with the field if it is not useful for calculating forces?  Why doesn't F = E*Q work?
Link Posted: 3/21/2015 5:41:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 3:33:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you're trying to separate the two equations, when they are in fact the same equation. Coulomb's law (F=(kq1q2/r^2)*r)  is just the simplified form of F=QE. It is simplified for the case of two charged particles. The general form can be used to describe any number of charged particles.

When you consider that E = k(q/r^2), it becomes readily apparent that q*E = q * k(q/r^2) = kq1q2/r^2

These are scalar quantities until the unit vector r-hat is introduced, pointing from one charge to another.

In short, it does work, that's what you're using, is a solved version of F = qE solved for two charged particles. That's what Coulomb's law is
View Quote

Hmm,... not really,... yes,... and no.  

The issue is the fields versus the forces.  You need to include all charges to define the electric field but also the need to ignore the field (or eliminate one charge from the field calculations) to find the forces.

If I include all charged particles, you can use E = Kq1/r2 to calculate (map) the electric field in its entirety over and region of space I care to bother with.  You can map right up to the charges themselves, then map on the other side, off to the left or right, etc.  But that E field map is not useful to then calculate the forces.  To get the forces, you start all over again, and calculate F = kq1q2/r2.

You might think you can calculate the vector E field, then multiply by q2 to get the vector Force .  After all, E = kq1/r2 and F = kq1q2/r2 (differing only by a factor of q2, a scalar quantity).  But you'd be wrong.

I did say it was a dumb question.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Superposition still works.
One at a time.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 1:18:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Superposition still works.
One at a time.
View Quote

?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top