Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/25/2015 10:00:47 PM EDT
I have 5 old IDE HDD: 2 Maxtor, 2 Seagate, and 1 Western Digital. They have the interfaces shown in the picture. What product should I buy to retrieve the data off of each one of them?

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:19:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:33:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Yea what he said. I'll be honest though and say that my experience in the past with those USB style cables wasn't good. I generally would buy a 3.5 inch pata enclosure and just take the board out of it. Seemed to work a lot better. Either way you have a ton of options.

Might need to play with the jumper settings on the drives which will be marked on most of them. Set them to single drive, master or cable select. If they are set to slave the adapter might not read it(depending on the adapter it might call for it to be set to one type).
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 10:36:29 PM EDT
[#3]
yeah, that's why I said get a USB thing with a power supply. I have a nice sata/ide thing that you drop the drives in, it works well but it's $50 and for a single use not worth it
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
yeah, that's why I said get a USB thing with a power supply. I have a nice sata/ide thing that you drop the drives in, it works well but it's $50 and for a single use not worth it
View Quote

I'd pay $50 to get all of this data. 5 HDD goes pretty far back in time.
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 11:17:04 PM EDT
[#5]
just buy the IDE->USB thing I linked to before. Looking at the caddys it looks like WD drives aren't supported, looking at your picture I'd guess the bottom drive is WD since it has the power and IDE header right next to each other unlike the other two.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:43:13 AM EDT
[#6]
check your computer's motherboard, it might have an IDE slot for plugging in the DVD drives or such. If so, you can just get a standard IDE cable and plug it straight into your motherboard
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 12:16:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
check your computer's motherboard, it might have an IDE slot for plugging in the DVD drives or such. If so, you can just get a standard IDE cable and plug it straight into your motherboard
View Quote

The computer chassis don't exist anymore. I chucked all of them and kept the drives.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 3:52:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The computer chassis don't exist anymore. I chucked all of them and kept the drives.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Your current computer is a laptop? Most desktops as long as they're pre 2012 should still have an IDE
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 4:03:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes, my current computer is a laptop. I might be able to scare up a desktop carcass around here.
Link Posted: 2/25/2015 8:28:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Since when do motherboards have no IDE slots?  Thats new to me.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 1:40:44 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Since when do motherboards have no IDE slots?  Thats new to me.
View Quote

since before Z97 chipset
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top