User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a member, I have been since my mom made me take the test in middle school. Like every group, there are outstanding people in it and some real assholes.

I don't need to have proof of my intelligence, I know where I lack, there are lots of people who use their MENSA membership as a status symbol. Don't be one of those guys

If you can ever get to The Annual Gathering, it's awesome.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2016 7:06:42 PM EDT
[#2]
As we all know there are different types of intelligence and the WISC III gives you two scores, Verbal and Performance. OP did extremely well on each one and does not need to re-test to prove his intelligence level for MENSA. His scores would be accepted by any psychologist in the country as valid.
Link Posted: 2/26/2016 8:57:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Step up and take the challenge like KBaker did.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1559361_Who_here_belongs_to_MENSA___UPDATE__Page_5__UPDATE__2__Page_6.html&page=7

Don't want to take the challenge don't complain about me not paying for your Mensa membership.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Here's a challenge for you OP. Take a proctored test by MENSA.  If you qualify I will PayPal you the cost of the test and one year's membership.  You just have to confirm you are taking the challenge and also post your results in this thread.

PM me and I'll send you my paypal addy.

Decorative flowers are my ironing board

Proof of score (IQ), as already posted.
http://s27.postimg.org/pebfpi65v/meh.jpg

Now official proof of being accepted into MENSA.
http://s11.postimg.org/czul1jo8z/20150112_183259.jpg
http://s11.postimg.org/jc9qbdrb7/20150112_183346.jpg
http://s11.postimg.org/mmy3b9h8j/20150112_183426.jpg
http://s11.postimg.org/esxhpv9fn/20150112_183502.jpg

My challenge was for you to take the proctored test.  That challenge still stands.  Are you willing?

Yep, I thought as much.

Step up and take the challenge like KBaker did.  

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1559361_Who_here_belongs_to_MENSA___UPDATE__Page_5__UPDATE__2__Page_6.html&page=7

Don't want to take the challenge don't complain about me not paying for your Mensa membership.

I'll do it if you pay for the test and make it a year arfcom membership + $50, instead of a mensa membership if I get in.

Link Posted: 2/27/2016 12:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The problem is that a high IQ does not indicate factual knowledge.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 12:32:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn, give the guy a rest. My IQ was tested well above normal, but I sure am no menza. I do know one or 2 and he doesn't know squat till we tell him. But understand, he'll remember it all.

I had a good friend in college; we both took serious science classes. One day we were playing tennis and I asked him how he kept getting the top grades, and he just gave that Michael Jordan look when he was making all those 3s for Chicago.

He ended up doing what he loved most. Contracting to take rich peoples yagts from NY to wherever for the season, and back.

Don't ask me; it's what he loved to do.

If he listened to a lecture and/or read the text one time, it was in there, and remember, this isn't some philosophy course.

I'm just saying, give the guy a break. Most are pretty shy.

JMHO
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
For whatever reason, I thought the IQ test was disregarded as being severely flawed for measuring intellect... Much less one for predicting intellectual potential or aptitude
View Quote

It does help select the HI IQ Idiots... You know, the smart folks who can't make it in life...  

I used to employ folks like that  --OMG...

They did great work in their field but needed help knowing when to come in out of the rain...

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 1:49:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Finding high IQ people can be equal to finding rich people.   Many look like it but  70% of the people you meet live paycheck to paycheck.  Mom got a call from the school when I was in 1st grade saying I was retarded.  They send me off to have testing done.  Mom was pissed at all the money she spent just to be told I was "gifted and talented."  I can't spell worth crap or remember people's names but I can solve problems fast.   Works well for being a dentist.   The fun part about intelegence to me was seeing and being around the super smart people getting a DDS.   Guy that sat next to me had a photographic memory and was number one in the class till he held a drill.  They passed him because his grades were so good but his hand skills were total crap.  The guy who did end up #1 you wouldn't be able to pick out of a crowd.   He finished 2 years of crowns, fillings, dentures, and extractions in 30 days, he was a natural.  They didn't know what to do with him but attendance was required so you would just see him around doing busy work.  My dad went to pharmacy school with the board record holder.  I met the guy once working on a tractor, I'm a hick and could barely understand him.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 2:06:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
While cleaning up, I found my WISC III results from when I was in school. Its one of the tests they accept as proof of being smart. Qualifying composite IQ for that test is 130, mine is 147.  With all the stupid shit I do all the time; I think I need some proof that I'm actually a certified genius, instead of half retarded.

Waste of time or is it an actual good resource? My interest would mainly be for networking connections.
View Quote

and here is where it got ya.    ok.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 4:06:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Finding high IQ people can be equal to finding rich people.   Many look like it but  70% of the people you meet live paycheck to paycheck.  Mom got a call from the school when I was in 1st grade saying I was retarded.  They send me off to have testing done.  Mom was pissed at all the money she spent just to be told I was "gifted and talented."  I can't spell worth crap or remember people's names but I can solve problems fast.   Works well for being a dentist.   The fun part about intelligence to me was seeing and being around the super smart people getting a DDS.   Guy that sat next to me had a photographic memory and was number one in the class till he held a drill.  They passed him because his grades were so good but his hand skills were total crap.  The guy who did end up #1 you wouldn't be able to pick out of a crowd.   He finished 2 years of crowns, fillings, dentures, and extractions in 30 days, he was a natural.  They didn't know what to do with him but attendance was required so you would just see him around doing busy work.  My dad went to pharmacy school with the board record holder.  I met the guy once working on a tractor, I'm a hick and could barely understand him.
View Quote

I believe it takes a certain degree of intelligence to appreciate the different types of intelligence. Those who cling to and dwell on a test score from decades prior usually haven't done much in the real world to give them that appreciation.

Thus, you have people who regale us with stories about testing off the charts for reading level as a first grader, and use that as the basis for their conspiracy theories and overall sense of superiority 50+ years later.

Every Mensa thread seems to draw out a certain crowd, and it usually reeks of the same general "making a virtue out of necessity" you see in other crowds, but perhaps with a broader vocabulary. This one has unfolded better than most.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 11:51:50 PM EDT
[#10]
I let my membership lapse many years, not out of interest but because of lack of funds.  I found the magazine interesting.

It's also nice when someone says, "What are you, some kind of smart guy?" and you can respond, "I don't know how smart I am but I am a member of Mensa."  

I'm supposed to be in the 95 percentile for IQ and there is so much that I don't have a clue about, how does the rest of the world function?  Maybe ignorance is bliss.

I learned a long time ago, IQ doesn't mean squat. I know a few people with high IQ's that can't function in society
View Quote

It's not that they can't, that they just don't care to exert the effort.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top