Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2014 4:21:23 PM EDT
My son is a mechanical engineer and doesn't really like to talk about his job not because he doesn't like it but because he has a life outside of work and doesn't dwell on it all the time like some people I know.  Anywho my question is this, in an industrial manufacturing type of setting with productions schedules and the like, don't engineers operate under a constant level of some stress on a daily basis?  I ask because my son at a young age has high cholesterol, putting on weight, and I hope the job doesn't affect his health.  I wasn't like this at his age so I worry as any parent.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:52:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If stress is worsening your son's health, it seems like he needs to hit the gym and learn to cope with it better.

Being a mechanical engineer can be stressful. This is true of a lot of good jobs, though.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:00:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Any profession can cause stress/impact your health if you let it.  When I was starting out and when my kids were young, I didn't take enough time to take care of myself, and it took a toll on my health.  Fortunately, in my case it was reversible.  Getting back in the gym took the weight back off, got my Cholesterol down, and made me a hell of a lot easier to be around

Encourage your son to take a few hours a week for himself even if it doesn't seem like he has time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Guess depends on the job. I work in the industrial/mechanical feild and absolutely love my job! But I'm not doing high speed mass production either.Working  with one of a kind projects we have proposed dates not deadlines. Try to meet them but not stressing.

Link Posted: 7/23/2014 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:12:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If stress is worsening your son's health, it seems like he needs to hit the gym and learn to cope with it better.

Being a mechanical engineer can be stressful. This is true of a lot of good jobs, though.
View Quote

You get paid at least partly based on that stress.

Bleeding edge aerospace work pays very well.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe a change in fields, such as move into aircraft manufacturing, or maybe out of it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:34:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure about the part in bold, but my advice is to find a common interest with coworkers.  It's easier to deal with people you get along with, or can chat with about something other than work.

I've been making it a point to go to lunch with folks on my team, doing volunteer events, having drinks together after work, etc.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:21:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not sure about the part in bold, but my advice is to find a common interest with coworkers.  It's easier to deal with people you get along with, or can chat with about something other than work.

I've been making it a point to go to lunch with folks on my team, doing volunteer events, having drinks together after work, etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The blood on the bleeding edge of technology is green.
It is the color of money.

Sorry if you missed you share.
I had a very nice chunk.

A customer from a few years ago just sent me a huge check for a fraction of the money I saved them.
I called the head of the company and asked why.
He said "Think of it as an after the fact commission. Your solution has made us a lot of money."

Of to the accountant to have him figure a quarterly tax payment.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 6:54:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I had a very nice chunk.

A customer from a few years ago just sent me a huge check for a fraction of the money I saved them.
He said "Think of it as an after the fact commission. Your solution has made us a lot of money."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a very nice chunk.

You must not be working with defense or with very large companies.  (per the info you have in red)

*Unless you are also head of a large subcontractor (so certainly not the experience of any engineers)...

Link Posted: 8/16/2014 5:09:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You must not be working with defense or with very large companies.  (per the info you have in red)

*Unless you are also head of a large subcontractor (so certainly not the experience of any engineers)...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a very nice chunk.

I have a PE license in Electrical.
Not a whole lot of us around.
I normally do not even brig my stamp out of the pouch for less than $50,000.
There is no statute of limitations on what you stamp off in the civil world.
The insurance company gets their cut along the way.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a very nice chunk.

Interesting.  And I've never seen any asking for a stamp in aerospace at all...aside from facility buildings, of course.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Interesting.  And I've never seen any asking for a stamp in aerospace at all...aside from facility buildings, of course.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had a very nice chunk.

A lot of contracting on the side from aerospace.

Defense rarely requires a PE under 'industrial shield' laws since you are selling services to the public, but every once in a while it is needed.

The huge bonus was from a shopping center I did all the electrical design for and that needed a PE.
I hired the electricians and provided inspection services for it also.
PE trumps local inspectors in many jobs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top