Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2014 9:40:12 AM EDT

I'm plotting a murder mystery to follow the one I posted in GD.

This one has a chemistry aspect to it. It won't involve some esoteric, complex hydrocarbon or anything like that, but there's a chemical reaction that needs to happen and I don't remember enough chemistry to set it up. Any volunteers would be very helpful.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:03:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:13:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:23:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

This one has a chemistry aspect to it. It won't involve some esoteric, complex hydrocarbon or anything like that, but there's a chemical reaction that needs to happen and I don't remember enough chemistry to set it up. Any volunteers would be very helpful.
View Quote

Skip the chemistry and go straight to physiology. Insulin is the PERFECT murder weapon.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Skip the chemistry and go straight to physiology. Insulin is the PERFECT murder weapon.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not really. ALS in Florida does a finger stick immediately. If they even bother with it, otherwise they run a line and pump you full of 5% dextrose while they figure out what's happening. Besides, it isn't cool. I want the corpse to go on fire. Fire is cool. I might even have him wear a Metallica t-shirt when he does it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 11:52:35 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm thinking about a .38 Special jacketed bullet with the lead removed. He fills it with potassium and closes the base with wax and steel wool to aid in ignition. He does this because he's making an impression, not because he thinks it will be more deadly that way. I know the K will react with water in the body, but I want the reaction to be noteworthy.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 12:16:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm thinking about a .38 Special jacketed bullet with the lead removed. He fills it with potassium and closes the base with wax and steel wool to aid in ignition. He does this because he's making an impression, not because he thinks it will be more deadly that way. I know the K will react with water in the body, but I want the reaction to be noteworthy.
View Quote

A few grains of it won't be. Even sodium, which is more reactive, isn't really that spectacular in that amount in pure water.
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 6:23:17 PM EDT
[#7]
A 158 grain .38 would be a bit under 1/4 ounce of reactant and he'd empty the cylinder.

I was looking at cuprous potassium cyanide, possibly with a wax seal embedded with powdered steel wool or magnesium to help light it. I was hoping to use a Raven MP25 as the murder gun, but the .25 won't work. I want the gun to be a real turd. An RG .38 would be perfect.

I think I'm going to have to find my friendly, neighborhood chemistry professor and bribe this person with a free lunch to work through this.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 5:12:04 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

A few grains of it won't be. Even sodium, which is more reactive, isn't really that spectacular in that amount in pure water.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Potassium is more reactive than sodium.  Group IA elements, otherwise known as alkali metals, become more reactive as you move down the periodic table and electronegativity goes down.

Here is your reaction:

2K (s) + 2H2O (l) -> 2KOH (aq) + H2 (g) + Heat
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 5:18:50 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

A 158 grain .38 would be a bit under 1/4 ounce of reactant and he'd empty the cylinder.
I was looking at cuprous potassium cyanide, possibly with a wax seal embedded with powdered steel wool or magnesium to help light it. I was hoping to use a Raven MP25 as the murder gun, but the .25 won't work. I want the gun to be a real turd. An RG .38 would be perfect.
I think I'm going to have to find my friendly, neighborhood chemistry professor and bribe this person with a free lunch to work through this.
View Quote

If you use potassium cyanide instead of potassium metal the cyanide ion bonds to a transport enzyme in the aerobatic production of ATP in the mitochondrial wall.  That shuts down the cells energy burning process and is similar to suffocation.

ETA: Tag in case there are more chemistry questions.

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Potassium is more reactive than sodium.  Group IA elements, otherwise known as alkali metals, become more reactive as you move down the periodic table and electronegativity goes down.  

Here is your reaction:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here is your reaction:

Been a long time since classes on that.

I recalled the lighter ones being more reactive.
Link Posted: 6/7/2014 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here is your reaction:

You would be correct if we were talking about halogens on the opposite side of the periodic table.  F > Cl > Br > I

Link Posted: 6/7/2014 7:57:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#13]

1) make entry to target residence.
2) wet the carpet behind the steel entry door.
3) place thin magnet wire under or on wet carpet.  
4) reeve thin wire thru bottom of entry door.  
5) use and old-school television transformer secondary, and plug into outdoor outlet.  

"after it's done", pull the wire back out from behind the locked door, and the carpet dries naturally,

guy dies from Vfib behind locked door.  CSI have to conclude cardiac arrest.  

there is a simpler variation on this where you don't need to make entry; wet the carpet outside the door, tie transformer secondary to doorknob.  
it's not as solid a story as the first method but it does avoid the need to make entry of the target residence.

please let me know when my first check will arrive.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:44:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

5) use and old-school television transformer secondary, and plug into outdoor outlet.  

"after it's done", pull the wire back out from behind the locked door, and the carpet dries naturally,

there is a simpler variation on this where you don't need to make entry; wet the carpet outside the door, tie transformer secondary to doorknob.  
it's not as solid a story as the first method but it does avoid the need to make entry of the target residence.

ar-jedi
View Quote

It's good.

So far, my checks from Amazon have amounted to around twelve dollars.
Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:08:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Actually potassium is more reactive than sodium--farther down the periodic table, the less strongly held are the outer electrons, so more easily donated.  I use potassium rather than sodium for demonstrations because it will spark and pop, sodium just fizzes a bit (in small amounts--I did have some idiot put a small block of sodium in water, and BOOM!).

However, unless he is storing in under oil, it will react with the moisture in the air and be KOH before he uses it.

Also, it will sputter, produce some hydrogen, and saponify the fat around it, but not do a lot.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 7:10:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It's good.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

ar-jedi

It's good.

Make sure it is salt water, it is the charge carriers that move the charge.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

It's good.

this is why you can use your toaster to make breakfast while sitting in a filled bathtub, as long as it's not salt water?  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

this is why you can use your toaster to make breakfast while sitting in a filled bathtub, as long as it's not salt water?  

ar-jedi

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

It's good.

ar-jedi

Very pure water (AKA 'de-ionized') is a good enough insulator to be used in discharge machining tanks.

The ionic contaminants in water are what makes it a conductor.
At cyclotrons we used to make large secondary wires using copper tube.
By circulating de-ionized water we could cool the windings with no significant current leakage through the water.

Link Posted: 12/21/2014 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:36:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

As long as that water is devoid of electrolytes, yes, yes you could
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

So no peeing in the bathwater then?
Link Posted: 12/23/2014 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

it's self-correcting.

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/28/2015 6:02:49 AM EDT
[#22]
It's the whole "bursting into flames after being shot with an incendiary bullet" thing that's preventing us from providing a solid response. Problem is the mass (volume) of anything incendiary enough to produce the desired effect simply won't fit in anything smaller than 20mm or so. If it did, gunshot combatants would already be bursting into flame on battlefields all over the world.

I was pretty excited when I read the title of this thread. But I gotta say, these limitations I just can't work with...

How bout a nice poison?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top